classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Need ski advice quickly

BigK75
Hey Guys:

I need some really quick advice. My local ski store is having a sale on skis and they are selling the Atomic Alibi with FFG 12 binding for $599CDN which is dirt cheap.  I am currently skiing Crimson TIs but would like to something wider.  The Alibis are 132-98-119.  Is this width a total overkill for skiing out east?  I love my Crimsons but drool when I see the Alibis.  Not looking for advice on the actual ski (but I love to hear it if you have any) I am more looking for advice on this type of ski (twin tip, fat all mountain ski) for skiing out east.

Since I mainly ski Whiteface and Blue Mountain (Ontario) I thought this would be a perfect place to ask.  

I leave tomorrow for Whiteface so I need some advice quick.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Need ski advice quickly

YUKON CORNELIUS
I ski 100mm under foot in the East no problem.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by BigK75
Go for it, especially if they have some tip rocker. Don't know anything about the ski but that is a nice dimension for a versatile EC ski, leaning towards the soft snow/powder/crud/ side of things. They are similar dimensions to the Line Prophet 98, which is an awesome (and popular) EC ski. I used to have the Prophet 100, basically the same, and as much as I love my new skis, I regret selling them.

I live in Ontario (ski at Hidden Valley and Sir Sams). If I have the heels locked down, I am on skis that are 108 underfoot. On tele, it is 96 underfoot. No issues.

Edit: just read the specs. Buy that ski, you won't regret it. It sounds like Atomic's version of the Line Prophet.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I have skied nothing less than 106mm this entire winter so far. Not a big deal besides the occasional jerk commenting that you're on two snowboards
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
I am going to hold off on the purchase.  Didn't like what some of the reviews had to say about the Alibis.  However everyone had amazing comments about the Prophets 98.  I found them for $450 at a local store.  Maybe I will go with those instead.  I think I need to some more research.  
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
I ski nothing smaller than 90mm under foot.  I am selling a pair of Nordica Steadfasts I bought last month b/c they are a little long for me.  Sidecut is amazing though. Check out the gear X post to get an idea on dimensions.  Do you tele or alpine?  I found the prophets too stiff for tele.  The flights I have heard don't have the metal that the prophets do.  Good luck.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
That ski would not be my choice, too long a turn radius. The waist width would not bother me but I like a ski that is cut to turn more.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Personally I own skis in 74, 82, 88, and 98mm under foot widths and teach at Whiteface.  The wider skis are nice additions to my quiver but I would not want to spend 60+ days on Whiteface on something that wide.  My 82mm width ski is my #1 ski and the wider stuff I bring out when it snows, its soft or its spring.  I can not teach / ski everything I need to on my 98mm ski but can make my 88mm work but its not ideal.  

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time