New Glacier Ski Resort Approved in Canada

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Glacier Ski Resort Approved in Canada

CUontheslopes131
Summer skiing just got a whole lot better in North America...

http://www.skiesq.com/2012/03/massive-new-glacier-ski-area-approved.html

I'm pretty pumped - 2,300' on the glacier, 23 lifts. It sounds absolutely amazing. From what I gather it's about 4-4.5 hrs from Calgary. The best part is the approval is contingent on substantial progress being made by 2014, so there's some real incentive to make it happen and it's doubtful that after 20 years of battling for an approval the developer would let such a valuable approval lapse. Pretty neat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Glacier Ski Resort Approved in Canada

ml242
The resort is 5 hours from.... Calgary.

I hope if I had tens of millions of dollars to throw away I'd actually come up with a better idea than opening a ski area. There are already so many good ones I'll never get to anyway.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
This post was updated on .
A stupid decision...but its not done.

I've commented on Jumbo a few years ago on FTO.

The Globe and Mail today: B.C.'s Jumbo Glacier Resort approval revives its opponents

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bcs-controversial-jumbo-glacier-ski-resort-gets-approval/article2375333/

The only year-around ski area in North America. What is Timberline at Mt. Hood? Blackcomb (when it was independent from Whistler) used to offer year-round skiing for at least 5 years. Now summer skiing ends in late July. Whistler is 70 miles from Vancouver!!! How far is jumbo from Calgary which is smaller.

The ski resorts in the areas aren't making huge amount of money they thought they would? Kicking Horse and Revy. Jumbo is also closer to Panorama, Fernie and Kimberley.

The only people that are going to make money is going to be the developers. Short term thinking once again. Let ski now and forget about the future. Many places with summer skiing in the Alps are shutting down due to the melting glaciers.

Say no to Jumbo.

Thanks skimore for the video.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by skimore
Yes, we Hinterlandians can screw things up just as much as the next guy.

BTW, the final segment interview with Niedermayer is absolutely classic hockey player babble. Glad treehuggers can still find the humour in things.

Good thread on TGR with informed opinions on both sides:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/64920-Jumbo-Glacier-Resort
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by CUontheslopes131
Tupper got approved in only 10 so I guess by comparison that is good.

Why is it that the "greens" hate ski areas so much?  Are they they more the ice skating type if you know what i mean?
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
ausable skier wrote

Why is it that the "greens" hate ski areas so much?  Are they they more the ice skating type if you know what i mean?
I have no idea what you mean. Seriously. Anyway, lift-served skiing is hardly a "green" sport so you an easily imagine why a hardcore green may have some issues with it. Am I a green? Hardly. I'll drive solo 7.5 hours each way to ski lift-served on a regular basis. I accept my carbon footprint.

This particular development is simply ridiculous in so many ways. Miles from anywhere, huge development required in a remote and ecologically sensitive area, several struggling ski resorts in the same vicinity, shrinking glaciers, difficult economy, etc., etc. What are they thinking? Some places are better left alone. We have enough ski resorts.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Sick Bird Rider wrote
ausable skier wrote

I have no idea what you mean. Seriously. Anyway, lift-served skiing is hardly a "green" sport so you an easily imagine why a hardcore green may have some issues with it. Am I a green? Hardly. I'll drive solo 7.5 hours each way to ski lift-served on a regular basis. I accept my carbon footprint.

This particular development is simply ridiculous in so many ways. Miles from anywhere, huge development required in a remote and ecologically sensitive area, several struggling ski resorts in the same vicinity, shrinking glaciers, difficult economy, etc., etc. What are they thinking? Some places are better left alone. We have enough ski resorts.
+1 SBR

Ski areas are dying and some people are looking at areas where they could start some more. The economic are bad all around, unless you can sell a few condo before they are actually build.

Big Tupper was an existing ski area before and nowhere remote compare to Jumbo.

Jumbo is starting from scratch... involves a glacier. How many ski areas have started from scratch in North America in the last 20 years. Jumbo will have 23 lifts.

I didn't oppose to Whitetooth expansion (Kicking Horse) or the Mount Mackenzie (Revy). I oppose this case, but I don't oppose Manitoba Mountain.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by ausable skier
AS, The Tupper resort was approved in less than 7 and could have been decieded in less than 4 if the developer hadn't dragged his feet hoping the market was going to turn around for him. Besides, it's a total fantasy that is never going to happen. I am sure(and saddened) that Big Tupper will never operate as a full fledged ski area again at least as part of the ACR.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
What are they thinking? Some places are better left alone. We have enough ski resorts.
Totally concur!  Places going bankrupt all over the world but let's build another resort in a pristine remote location, displaced some grizz, destroy a native culture then take the money and run.  

What a jumbo mistake!  I'd like to get into the ring w/ these greedy  types!  Now that be some frustration relieve...  AS you got some boxing gloves??  
I ride with Crazy Horse!