classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Gore GM

PeeTex
Bone Bayse of the NYSEF program replaces Pratt
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Gore GM

Z
This post was updated on .
Good choice and while still experienced with Gore sort of from outside Orda which will bring in some fresh ideas to the fold which is a good thing.

Lots of staff movement at Nysef coming and going.  They filled the head alpine job / U16 coach last week with a vet from GMVS that has been around and has national team experience.  He is going to be my sons coach and we are really happy about this.  NW head job went to a guy from Vail that was USSA coach of the year a few years back.  Winter Term new head was the development coach that is like an aunt to kids that came thru the program under her - an awesome choice imo.  NYSEF is killing it.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I think Bone will be a popular choice. Here's the press release from Tuesday.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Didn't see you had already posted this in the Gore Conditions thread. Seems like an odd place for it but your da boss.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I  guess I was in a rush. No disrespect to Bone.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I thought more about this today, first, I wonder if Howie wanted the job and if so, is he upset. Second, since Bone comes from the race program will that mean a further emphasis on race over recreation. Will there be more times when trails are set aside for racers. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Will make for a lot of provocative discussion this winter. Will be interesting to see who takes over the NYSEF program at Gore.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Didn't think of that.  I expect them to greatly expand racing closures.  Twister and Echo will likely be closed to the public just about every day all year.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
Twister and Echo will likely be closed to the public just about every day all year.
Just about every day all year? Like 5 or more days a week for the entire season?

I'm guessing you don't really mean that. Maybe it will be ok.

You'll be at WF mostly so all good right?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by snoloco
Ah - the exaggerations of youth.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Petit homme, why you driving south of the great WF to ski that parking lot? 😮
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by PeeTex

PeeTex wrote
Ah - the exaggerations of youth.
It's very dramatic.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Petit homme, why you driving south of the great WF to ski that parking lot? 😮
I'm a self described Whiteface guy and that's where I ski most often.  I sometimes ski Gore for a change of pace, or when I'm meeting other people who are driving up from the south and can't make it all the way to Whiteface on a day trip.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
What ever races are scheduled won't change due to this.  They need to have one run closed if racing and part of another for training.  Nothing's changed in that regard.

I don't think Gore has nearly as many mid week racers as WF so this really just impacts Friday thru Sunday.  

Deal with it.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
From experiences this past season, I believe WF handles their racing better than any other mountain I've been to.  This means that they have a good venue that teams like to race on with minimal impact on public terrain.  They'd of course race on Upper Thruway-Drapers and if racing, train on Parkway with the trail remaining open.  I don't like Draper's anyways, and while I like Parkway, I'd rather ski the trails off Lookout, the summit, or top of LWF.

Gore on the other hand, due to terrain, can't have a race without essentially cutting Burnt Ridge off from the rest of the mountain.  You have to take Hedges to the North Quad which usually takes about 15 minutes to ride.  Doesn't really have anything to do with Management however.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The kids like racing at Gore but from a parents perspective it's difficult to watch a race there as you can't see much from any vantage point.  There is one spot that takes a bunch of shelepping to get to. It's also different cult to carry your skis to the start.

WF you can watch from the finish and see the most important part of the course
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Harvey
I think Bone will bring a broad recreational industry orientation that will include an excellent customer service orientation and much closer relationship to the local business (tourist) business community superior to anyone on staff. I see him adjusting to balance his past interest in racing with his new role.
Let's face it, the location of the race trails at Gore sucks for the skiing public but it's tough to change mountain terrain.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Don't like Draper's?  I love that trail.  Hardly used when no racing is on, you can rip down that trail and only really worry about the folks cutting in before the last pitch.  It's one of my favorites.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They blow it wetter than other trails to keep it firm for racing.  I remember skiing it one day after they finished training and it was nothing but sheer ice.  Completely unenjoyable.  I've had some days when it was good, but they are few and far between.  Basically needs to be early season when they just opened it, or in the spring when it softens up.  I am glad that management usually opened it up as soon as racing was finished rather than leaving it closed all day like most other mountains do with their race trails.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Drapers is one of my fav trails and when open to the public the best way to get to the base

Sno WF peeps do not complain about ice - they rip on it where skiers from other places whine about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hmmm, so Whiteface skier's can't complain about sub par conditions?  I always look for the best snow on the mountain and 90+ percent of the time, I can find non ice snow at WF on terrain that I like.  And by ice, I meant hockey rink style ice that was pretty much impossible to get an edge on.  Not hard packed snow that advanced skiers can handle while intermediates struggle.  I can ski that stuff just fine.

I normally use Wilmington to get to the base when I'm skiing on the summit or Lookout or Parkway when skiing on LWF.