New Gore Trail Map

Red Eye Nester
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Gore Trail Map

Harvey
Administrator
It's not easy. Been struggling to figure out how to incorporate it in the directory:

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Gore-Mountain-td4642438.html

I personally think it is a big improvement for newbies. Let's face it that's who maps are for.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It has to really difficult to map such a 3D mountain as Gore.  The only Eastern mt with as many different aspects is Killington.  At one point they has a topo style map that might make the most sense given the complexity
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I was really confused by Gore until I actually went there and skied.  The map kinda doesn't show you what's really going on but IMO once you get up to the top of Bear Mtn it all makes sense.

I was also lucky some regulars warned me about the flat spots... they should put that on the map!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
It has a similar look to the 1969 map with the upper mountain looking much smaller than it really is.
http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Gore-Mountain-Trail-Map-1969-td4993720.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
some regulars warned me about the flat spots... they should put that on the map!
I'm wondering if there are maps from other ski areas that warn you about flat sections. For example, some Moab, Utah mountain bike maps point out stretches with "brutal beach sand" -- even if you can't avoid them, I appreciate the heads-up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MikeK
Pipeline, Cloud and Cedars are labeled as "traverses" on this map and the former map too.  Maybe they should have included the word "terrible."

Or maybe they should use the secret button strategy.  Label them with "Keep Out" signs and rope them off, then people would be ducking them and bragging about it.

I agree with Coach's 3D thing.  I haven't skied to many places in the east, (maybe 20-25?) but to me Gore is one the most fascinating mountains I've skied.  Sugarbush is very cool too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Clearly and honestly marking the flat areas falls in the same category as webcams. There are no webcams because "someone" thinks that if skiers see bad weather they won't go skiing. The thought on labeling the flats is probably along the lines of "if they're not marked, they're  not really there".
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I've always wanted the mountains to provide a real topo map with the trails laid out to scale, even if just on the back of their picture maps. It would speed up the process of learning your way around a new mountain dramatically.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That being said, I actually like the new map.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller