New Skis - Who is shopping, and who is retiring?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Skis - Who is shopping, and who is retiring?

ml242
I lost my brand new Praxis MVP's in a fire and don't quite have the cash to replace them, I can't decide whether to go into another winter with the "Gear I Have, Not the Gear I Want to Have".

I probably have 80-100 days on my Worth Humpbacks, but they're still doing fine so why replace? I'd probably like a 80mm ripper but they're not quite as sexy as brand new 115mm+ pow boards. This stuff lasts me 3-4 years because I'm light on my feet and take care of it, so it's tough to justify the expense except new stuff is always betterer, right?

Are you guys buying or holding?

What's caught your eye?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Skis - Who is shopping, and who is retiring?

Marcski
I've had my Dynastar Mythic Riders for over 5 years and they easily have about 200 days on them. They still ski pretty well but have slowly evolved into a really really good rock ski.  So, I found this 2012 model new in plastic on ebay for $160 delivered:
http://www.skinet.com/skiing/products/gear/dynastar-legend-94-2012

And, then found a pair of new, 2014 Marker Griffon's for $180 delivered on ebay.  

I am also still looking for a slalom race ski for those "hard" surfaced days.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm a new ski junky and can not help myself.....Nordica NRGY 90 or 100's will be heading my way as soon as they become available

Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
This may be a stupid question , but. Will a ski shop mount bindings to skis I buy on line. I've always bought my stuff from real stores made from brick and motar. I recently bought Blizzard Buschwackers on line because my store was out of stock. My plan was to buy the bindings from them and have them do the mounting. But now thanks to ts01 i'am considering buying the bindings also online because it's like half price. Sno Haus isn't open till August which is where I go,so I can't ask. Anyone have experience on Long Island with this dilemma ? Thanks for the help again.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
A good shop won't care, that is unless they don't have the templates for the brand of binding you get. If you were buying Dynafit bindings there are only a few shops that I trust with them, I always get everything online, haven't bought skis or bindings in shop for a long time. The shops I frequent have no problem taking my money to do a mount.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Ok then,I'll do it. I'am going to get the marker f12. Between the skis and bindings i'am probulary saving over $300. So even if they charge me a premium price I still come out ahead. I usually like to shop local to do my part to keep them around. They didn't have the skis and honestly the chances of them having AT bindings is remote. Thanks for the advise and if I can't find locals to mount them , you'll hear back from me ,asking where you go.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by ml242
My Line Prophets are 3 yrs old and still great but I have been looking at the Line sick day 95 . I took  the marker bindings  off the prophets late season this year, to adjust to new boots , and realized when skis where originally mounted professionally , one ski was off by a hair. Eyes seem better than a template since I watched the pro mount the bindings. He used a template
    I resurrected a pair of 2005 Rossi Bode"s  from my brother law this season and they were fun early in the day on hard groomed snow. Was at his house on New years Eve and they were covered with dust, he said take um. Was surprised how good they skied when I got them out.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I have been thinking about a pair of waxless skis. Not sure what I will go for (if I do), will save the shopping fun for when I am getting the stoke on for winter. I have a pair of wide pow board & skins I never really liked that I will pull the bindings off of.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
In reply to this post by Thehof
Thehof wrote
Ok then,I'll do it. I'am going to get the marker f12. Between the skis and bindings i'am probulary saving over $300. So even if they charge me a premium price I still come out ahead. I usually like to shop local to do my part to keep them around. They didn't have the skis and honestly the chances of them having AT bindings is remote. Thanks for the advise and if I can't find locals to mount them , you'll hear back from me ,asking where you go.
Most shops up here will do it without issue, especially for weird stuff.  If you get crap for it and you ski Gore, take your skis to their shop.  One of the bearded guys there will get you set up in no time and won't care what you walk in with.  They really do have a fantastic shop.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Thanks Footer. Now I am thinking of getting the salomon Guardian 16 instead of the Marker F12. The Guardians can switch between tour and ski without removing skis. The Markers weigh less ,but may be a pain in the rear to switch modes. I know I can't remove skins without removing skis. I think though most of the time i'am at lift serviced mountains,and i'am looking to go over there somewhere nobody else bothers to go. Any way anybody with experience with either of these bindings or any other that alpine boots can use please chime in.
Gratitudes
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Thehof wrote
Thanks Footer. Now I am thinking of getting the salomon Guardian 16 instead of the Marker F12.
Check out this article, http://www.wildsnow.com/8495/salomon-guardian-boots-backcountry/
Gotta go to know