New Weather Pages: MTW, QC, Ontario (and Gaspe!)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Weather Pages: MTW, QC, Ontario (and Gaspe!)

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'd like to put together weather pages with resources for Mount Washington and Eastern Canada.

Weather Links
Forecasts for Ski areas
Weather Maps
Short Term, Medium Term, Long Term

See other weather pages for ideas?

Post links here. Thanks.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Weather Pages: MTW, QC, Ontario

Sick Bird Rider
I am a bit weather-obsessed but no meteorologist. Here is how I get my weather info, in order of frequency, YVMD. My goal is to plan activity around weather patterns. I don't have any interest in trying to be an amateur forecaster, happy to leave that for others:

1) Environment Canada local forecast. For the general weather outlook and current radar. I check this several times daily, since part of my job requires that I pay attention to changes in weather, advise clients accordingly and/or change plans for staff activity. Here is the local, I just look at the general forecast, not the 24 hour:

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-88_metric_e.html

You can change it to Farenheit but the method is obscure.

2) Environment Canada local radar. If there is a storm in the forecast, or I want to monitor local snow squall activity, this is the go to:

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=wbi

You can use the links at the bottom to see other radar locations. The one McGill/Montreal one is handy for NNY and NVT:
http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WMN

3) Weather Network local forecast. I only use this for the "future radar" down the page, which is reasonably accurate and handy for planning activities around storm activity. It has a quirky interface and doesn't always work. I like the fact that you can move aroound, zoom, etc:

www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/canada/ontario/huntsville

4) Intellicast US national radar. For when I want to see the big picture, especially for big storms:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx

5) Ontario winter road report. In case one needs to drive somewhere before/during/after a storm:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/conditions/

Sometimes I just look at the Toronto area traffic cams and think about how lucky I am not to live there.

6) Windyty. This is a very cool site developed by a Danish kiteboarder who also happens to be a programmer and weather geek. The link is to our local area but you can search other locations or zoom out to see global weather patterns. Note that there are links to detailed local forecasts, wind predictions plus on the lower right you can change the view to see other weather patterns (precip, pressure, snow, etc.):

https://www.windyty.com/?45.329,-78.205,9

7) meteoblue: This is where Windyty gets local forecast info from. I just found this recently and should probably look at it more often, there is a lot of info in the local forecast. I am on DSL and find it slow to load, which is a bit annoying. Note that there is a "predictability %" for each days outlook, which I have not seen elsewhere:

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/week/huntsville_canada_5978765

8) Synoptic MODIS imagery for the Great Lakes. Daily satellite images of the Great Lakes basin. I mostly use this in April and May to track ice-out activity in our area, which is relevant to my job. You can also use it to follow fall colour changes or simply marvel at the sediment patterns in Lake Erie. Click on whichever thumbnail looks the most interesting, wait for it load, the start scrolling around. If you are not good on the geography of the Great Lakes, this could be an exercise in futility:

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=g&page=1
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
 good work compiling that SBR.   Sometimes though, I think we all suffer from information overload.  I'm as guilty as anyone... So I think I'm going to try to dial it down a notch this winter.  

I'm going to look out the window....

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
I'm going to look out the window.... TD
There is much to be gained from the LATS forecast. (Look At The Sky)
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It's logical that weather forecasting is perceived as important for those who are a great distance from the snow, and need advance notice to take off from work. If you travel a long way and ski 35 days in a good year, you try to ensure that effort is rewarded. The analytics for the weather page and weather forum bear this out. Pageviews are from the major metros. If you live near the snow and have the flexibility to get it, good on ya.

Thanks for the help sbr.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
It's logical that weather forecasting is perceived as important for those who are a great distance from the snow, and need advance notice to take off from work. If you travel a long way and ski 35 days in a good year, you try to ensure that effort is rewarded. The analytics for the weather page and weather forum bear this out. Pageviews are from the major metros. If you live near the snow and have the flexibility to get it, good on ya.

Thanks for the help sbr.
You are welcome. TD and I are a small and non-representative sample, unfortunately. Some input from Claude/BigK75, MadPat and the elusive Chuuurles would probably round it out more. I do pay some attention to long range stuff when planning trips to JPR but more often than not, the time off is not so flexible, so I deal with the hand that is dealt. Sometimes you win, sometimes you ski on ice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
HEY!  Wassss happening?  Any updates... I haven't looked outside today.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Shit is about to go down...  BIG.   
STOKED!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
...........aaaaannnndd......   Meh.  Rain/sleet/ice pellets/ freezing rain.         Yawn.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Woke up to............wait for it...............

Zilch.  Nada..  

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
1.5inches here, turned to rain at 8:30, all gone now.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Digging in to this now.  Trying to decide on how to structure.   90% sure MTW data will be a part of a NH/Maine page.

What to do with Canada. Ontario, Quebec, Gaspe.  90% sure Gaspe will be part of QC.

I'm realizing the Exited States has far "better" (more fun, good colors) than Canadistan.  Or school me pls.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey wrote
 Or school me pls.
Ok. First off, it's " Excited States " not exited. If you're going to quote some obscure, geriatric jargon in an attempt to look hip, you should get it right or any potential gain in cool is completely lost.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Working on the new Quebec and Ontario Wx pages for the new site.

It LOOKS like Weather Network have more of a point forecast system than Enviro Canada?  How can that be? I'd assume EC is the source of all info.

If anyone can help me with point forecast links for these ski areas it would be most helpful:

EC Mont Tremblant
EC Mont Saint Sauveur
EC Mont Blanc
EC Mont Alta
EC Bromont
EC Sutton
EC Owl's Head
EC Mont Orford
EC Mont-Sainte Anne
EC Massif du Sud
EC Le Massif

SBR already gave me links for Ontario, they are all from EC. Should I switch to Weather Network?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ML SBR or anyone... where are the webcams in Quebec. I found Sutton and Tremblant.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Also looking for a Euro Radar.  Seems like highly developed geo specific radar is a US thing. Found one Euro satellite but but no radar.