New slide has a large cliff in it

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New slide has a large cliff in it

ausable skier
Now that they summit is open I was finally able to get a closer look at the new slide.  It looks really great at the top but then it funnels into a cliff band that will have to be somehow gotten thru.  I talked with some folks that have skied the cliff when it was in the woods and the drop is anywhere from 6 to 20+ feet depending on where you decide to go off it.

A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New slide has a large cliff in it

endoftheline
I got a good look at the cliff New Years Day or what seemed like April Fools with the warm weather. I,ve also skied that same cliff last winter, it was a good 8-10 ft at the highest point but of course that was with a lot of snow. Looking at it from the stalled summit chair (10-15 minutes) on Sunday I,d say the highest point might be 14 feet. They stopped loading the summit chair for the day after they got it running again. I had visions of an Evac again from that thing. It would be nice if they could get that antique fixed for good or replaced, at least it wasn't windy and below zero. I hope we get enough snow at some point this winter to get a shot at the slides, maybe winter will kick start like it did last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
They're probably waiting for Pratt to buy it to replace the Summit double!
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
adkskier wrote
They're probably waiting for Pratt to buy it to replace the Summit double!
If that ever comes to pass let's hope they run it all the way to the summit, like it used to be.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by ausable skier
Don't forget that cliffs look bigger early season prior to snow building up under the lee side of the lip. Six foot drop now might only be three of four feet by spring. And if you can't take a three to four foot drop, that terrain might not be the best option.

Looks like I found a reason to get back to Whiteface sooner than I thought I might. :D A nice ten footer in that terrain would be really cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
I've heard that with a big base its min 6 foot drop which as i get older sounds higher to my knees and back

A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.