New to Tele skiing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New to Tele skiing

MidwestTeleMan
Hey guys! New to the thread and new to the sport. I'm normally a snowboarder but want to try out tele skiing and have been on the hunt for boots. Harvey is looking to send me some Scarpa T2's in 27.5 75mm. I usually go to Mt Bohemia and most of the stuff there is black diamonds but there are a hefty amount of double and triple blacks there as well. I will be hitting smaller slopes to start and learn but am wondering if the boots will work for me. Could you help me out?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New to Tele skiing

Harvey
Administrator
Boots are on the way, LMK when they arrive. Hope the box is intact, not a great packing job.

I've seen amazing skiers rip T2s on some steep knarly stuff.

Work up to it, get better, maybe I'll upgrade next season and you can have my T1s.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

HoliScott
Welcome to the tele-world, love the feel of a nice set of turns on 'em. I would highly doubt (completely?) boots are going to change your ability, i.e.-it's the Indian, not the arrows right? Work on your technique, don't get bad habits as on teles, those mistakes make for some mighty funny looking turn styles. Hook up with an instructor and spend some time with him/her. I took a lot of lessons after being an alpine skier for 40+ years and can say I'm proficient enough on telemark skis to be on them 50% of my time as a National Ski Patroller.

I would buy this book, it has a ton of great tips in it.

Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
HoliScott wrote
Welcome to the tele-world, love the feel of a nice set of turns on 'em. I would highly doubt (completely?) boots are going to change your ability, i.e.-it's the Indian, not the arrows right? Work on your technique, don't get bad habits as on teles, those mistakes make for some mighty funny looking turn styles. Hook up with an instructor and spend some time with him/her. I took a lot of lessons after being an alpine skier for 40+ years and can say I'm proficient enough on telemark skis to be on them 50% of my time as a National Ski Patroller.

I would buy this book, it has a ton of great tips in it.

I'm going to check that one out!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Re: Tele
See you when I get there.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by HoliScott
This book is really old (boots are leather) but as I recall definitely worth reading. I'm surprised it is still in print.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
This book is really old (boots are leather) but as I recall definitely worth reading. I'm surprised it is still in print.
They published a revised version in 2008.  The first version was from 1998.  Looks like fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
marznc wrote
Harvey wrote
They published a revised version in 2008.  The first version was from 1998.  Looks like fun!
I tried to find mine to see what version it is. Was.  Couldn't find it, maybe it's in the Adk.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Part of what I love about skiing is that, at least for me, there is only so much you can intellectualize, after which it becomes a sense of feeling. Sensations that can't quite be put into words...or at least words can't fully describe. Tele just magnified those sensations for me.

Can anyone understand or relate to my gibberish??
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
You're talking about the "Flow State", or "Peak Experience". You can experience it doing anything (playing music, mountain biking). It's the feeling of doing something that you're skilled at, at a high level, still being challenged by what's in front of you, and meeting every challenge as it comes up.

Great NPR segment on it the other day:

https://www.npr.org/2015/04/17/399806632/what-makes-a-life-worth-living
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Part of what I love about skiing is that, at least for me, there is only so much you can intellectualize, after which it becomes a sense of feeling. Sensations that can't quite be put into words...or at least words can't fully describe. Tele just magnified those sensations for me.

Can anyone understand or relate to my gibberish??
Yep, makes perfect sense.  I can't learn ski technique from a book.  Have read more than one about alpine skiing.  Working with an experienced instructor (10+ years teaching) is what made a difference in the last five years.  Plus increased mileage and experimentation afterwards.  But reading later on can be fun for me when something an instructor has said (and repeated) clicks.

Pretty sure that when I started skiing as a young teen, I was doing it more by feel than what the teachers at NCS were explaining.  Especially that first day hiking the hill above Round Lake all afternoon and doing snowplow turns down.  The introduction from an adult probably lasted about 5 minutes.  Certainly didn't do any reading about skiing back then.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Be curious to know what experts think about this video for beginners.

>