This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New to tele and need advice

MC2 5678F589
Seems to be a growing consensus here forming around fat, fishscaled backcountry skis. Voile makes some good ones. Rossignol has decent ones, too.

Then, you have to decide if you want duckbill or NTN. NTN is probably overkill for your purposes, so if I were you, I'd get some Scarpa T2's and pair them with a Voile switchback binding.

I might be teaching the Tele thing on February 1/2 (or I might not). I'll look for you on brand new gear if I am.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That's some quality advice by MC.  

Don't use the fishscales for lift service, you will trash them quick.

Ideally IMO you'll need two pairs of boots and skis.

Although people certainly do routes like Raymond Brook on T2s and I've been skiing Gore on T2 for 5 years.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
Don't use the fishscales for lift service, you will trash them quick.

Ideally IMO you'll need two pairs of boots and skis.
I don't really agree with either of these points. From his description, it sounded like he mostly wanted an all purpose Tele setup to kick around on, learn Tele turns, and do some backcountry. I think a pair of Voile Vector BCs, a pair of T2s, and a pair of switchbacks would be fine.

I mean, in the Voile Vector BC description, it says:

From long backcountry tours to a day of cranking turns inbounds, the Vector is a truly unique package with it's mid-fat width, super light weight, and powder friendly hybrid rocker design.
I think older waxless skis had degradation issues, but I think the problem has been addressed with modern base materials. And, really, if the fishscales get "trashed", he can just throw some kick wax on and carry on as normal.

I'd just get the one setup for now and, if he loves Tele as much as we do, expand the quiver from there.
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I use the same length Tele skis as I do Alpine skis.

Other people prefer shorter for weight saving and maneuverability, but I never really had much of a problem with normal length (going back to my first set of Tele skis, 200cm K2 Totally Pistes).
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
+2 for Matt's advice.  I really can't think of a reason not to use any of the waxless variants on piste, other than they can be a touch slow in some snow. Also the zzzzip sound they make on harder snow, though for some that's half the fun.

Both the Voiles and the Rossignols have adequate torsional stiffness for groomers.  I'd caution against the Madshus Annum/Karhu Guide as they are very soft torsionally and wash out easily if pressured on edge.

Betcha your sorry you asked.. Lots of (good) opinions around here!

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
4 buckle boot ,stiff binding,dont want the ski too short ,170 ish +,or back ski can wander (see ballet skiing)
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
How about the Chargers Matt? I've heard good things from one of the Gore instructors about them too. I thought about doing the clinic this weekend, but Chowderfest is Saturday and I got signed up for that months ago. All day beer and food is tough to turn down. Are you teaching the glades clinic on the 8th-9th? I might sign up for that again. Hopefully we'll have a nemo redux.
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
dobermann wrote
I decided on and purchased the Scarpa T1's, Elan Himalayas 177 and Voile Switchback X2s.  After almost two hours of evaluation/education the guys at the Mountaineer in Keene Valley said this setup would give me the best transition from alpine.  I liked the Scarpa T2s but the T1s with 4 buckles just fit me much better.  The Voile Vector BC looks like a great ski but I expect to be doing much more lift served at least for now and opted to get skins later.  They had the Kastle TX 97 that also looks like a great ski but could not justify the substantial price difference.

Thanks again to all for the advice.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
those himalayas are great skis.
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
Just completed three days of tele on my new gear and I'm hooked.  I'm finding it takes a lot for someone my size to get those real deep knee benders but hopefully it will come with time.  I seem to be much more comfortable/able to make better tele turns in steeps with bumps and things get squirrely/uncertain for me on the relative flats.

Anyway, I'm ready for the next step and need to get some skins.  Any suggestions on where to buy, best brands etc.  I assume I could buy on line and get better selection and save a few bucks.  I'm pretty comfortable with tuning my own gear etc.

Also, any suggestions for getting the x2 switchback bindings on easier would be helpful. Only rode gondola once each day cause it took me almost 10 minutes to get my boots to pair up....I won't have choice to ride chairs all day when with my kids and they certainly won't wait for dad to get his skis on.   I was told things will loosen up when broken in a bit but would be great if there was something I could do to move things along.   Maybe silicone spray or other tricks?