Newsday missed platty

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Newsday missed platty

Thehof
I really don't mean to rant.  Just bought Sunday Newsday for the first time in what's gotta be 3-4 years. I got a little excited when I saw something about my personal favorite winter activity,skiing. Marshall did a fine job but my guess is ,he ether doesn't ski or has never been to Plattekill. Which ever is the answer newsday missed the mark. I've skied every mountain mentioned and can honestly say Plattekill is the most compelling for a day trip.
No, I do not have any interest the business, except that I want it thrive so it stays in business.
Any skiers working for Newsday       Give em a try.      Tell about your experience
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Newsday missed platty

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Thehof wrote
I really don't mean to rant.
Rant approved by management.

Do you have a link the article? Would be cool for a bunch of us to post WTF comments under the piece.

EDIT: Article link PM'd to me by Thehof:

http://www.newsday.com/travel/10-ski-destinations-close-to-long-island-1.6430689

I'd originally assumed it was a Catskills story. But take a look.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

weekendwarrior
In reply to this post by Thehof
I'm a skier from LI & Newsday reader & read the article too. One explanation as to why they left out Plattekill may be that they were concentrating on ski areas within 150 miles of LI & not sure if Plattekill falls just outside of that range? Also I know they asked readers to nominate favorite areas in the weeks leading up to the article so it could be no one nominated Plattekill? All that being said I've wanted to try Plattekill for awhile now & your endorsement has me even more intrigued. On another note I find Newsday's coverage of skiing to be quite lacking overall which is why I've taken to reading blogs such as this!
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Platty is 116 miles from Queens/Nassau border. It's about 15-20 min past Belleayre. It's also in my humble opinion in another world when comes to terrain and attitude.  
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Why the heck are Plattekill skiers SOOOO intent on letting EVERYONE know how awesome and uncrowded that joint is?

Do you want more people there?  Do they need more people there?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
This post was updated on .
The mountain can handle double the people with no effect on lift lines. More people means more $ which can mean
More snow making,new lifts ,new trails , etc...Just give it try once (with snow) and i'am sure you'll come back.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
dmc_hunter wrote
Why the heck are Plattekill skiers SOOOO intent on letting EVERYONE know how awesome and uncrowded that joint is?

The answer to your last question is yes. They need you there DMC!

I love not waiting in line or fighting for a table in the lodge. Who wouldn't?

But... is Hunter, Windham or Belleayre in danger of extinction?  I don't think so.

I'd wait 60 seconds for a chair, or share my lunch table if it meant that Plattekill would prosper.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Thehof
Thehof wrote
The mountain can handle double the people with no effect on lift lines. More people means more $ which can mean
More snow making,new lifts ,new trails , etc...Just give it try once (with snow) and i'am sure you'll come back.
I go there... I'm not talking out my ass here..

Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
dmc_hunter wrote

The answer to your last question is yes. They need you there DMC!

I love not waiting in line or fighting for a table in the lodge. Who wouldn't?

But... is Hunter, Windham or Belleayre in danger of extinction?  I don't think so.

I'd wait 60 seconds for a chair, or share my lunch table if it meant that Plattekill would prosper.
OK..  For the record I love the place and have been a bunch....  We go down from Hunter for the snow..  Quick hits..  

I don't know why you all think i have not...  haha...

I'm just saying - if it's doing OK - why promote it?  Why not keep it to ourselves?

I'm not worried nor do I give a crap about if it affects the northern areas...  
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
Apologies,dmc_hunter,I assumed which makes me the ...  It's just that I meet soooo many that have heard of Platty ,but never get a chance to try it. I also get around in the cats,ADK, and Vermont.   Mostly I just happen to like Platty best for day trips from Long Island. There's less hassle ,wasted time on lines(lift,food,bar,parking lot,tiks). Maybe i'am a little brain washed but oh well.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
I live in Hunter and have a pass.. I ski a lot in hour chunks..  :)    Slip out for lunch when it's nice... Meet people on the weekends.. Waste time... Drink at the bars...  Drink in the lot... Eat at the restaurants..  All good..

Love Platty..  Who wouldn't...?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
Well personally I tell a few people about Platty, not everyone.
Scotty