No Catamount Love?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No Catamount Love?

raisingarizona
I just saw on Alpinezone that there's some fresh, brand new trails being cut into Catamounts upper mountain. They look legit for mid sized ski areas in the north east.

Harv, I think you may be dropping the ball here not reporting on this, at least half of the ski area is in NY. Or not....whatever :D

When I was a kid my Grandma would get free lift tickets to Butternut through her work. My Grandpa would take me there on trips. I have never skied at Catamount but we would drive by every time going to and from Butternut and I always thought it looked pretty fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: No Catamount Love?

Brownski
Legit point RA. There was a little bit of discussion of the acquisition and new lodge and trails, snowmaking improvements and I did a blog post on them a couple years ago. I will definitely do another one this year.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I found catamount underwhelming.  Not worth the 2.5 hr drive from the tz bridge
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That’s the issue eh? How can they compete with the Catskills areas for the tri state crowd? It’s a tough location I’m guessing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Jason is right as far as it goes. He and I live near each other and can get to Hunter or Platty in less time. On the other hand, people from Queens orLI can probably get there in less time then it takes to reach the Catskills. For sure Catamount is closer then Jiminy or SVT. Catamount also has a great kids program and lots of terrain diversity. I see it as a better kids’ Hill then Hunter or Platty (sorry) and I find it more interesting then Bell for myself. It’s sort of in a sweet spot for metro area families with kids and beginners. Thus...

https://nyskiblog.com/catamount-in-the-sweet-spot/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Brownski is our Catamount reporter.  

His story is way overdue.

In his defense, he's overworked and underpaid.

That new terrain looks to be among the steepest on the hill.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
That new terrain looks to be among the steepest on the hill.
Yes, should be interesting. Catapult is already (arguably) the steepest trail in the Berkshires. The new ones look just as steep
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I have been to Catamount but never skied there. All I know is that the people who run it and work there are great.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I skied there one day two seasons ago early season, and was kind of impressed, even though not much was open. There's some old school eastern style trails that must be a blast with snow. It was only 20 bucks midweek online the night before the last few seasons, hope that continues. If you're a NY metro ski club member you get that deal at the window. Tried to make it back last season, but weather didn't help. For me, it's a nice half way point to Vermont on one of my drives up there. For Fairfield, Ct. and Westchester peeps, not a bad drive at all, up the Taconic. There's a lot of money over towards Great Barrington that should keep the place alive. Also, if you are so inclined, GB has a nice weed store, which should set it apart from the Catskill mountains.
funny like a clown