Nordica NRGY 100

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nordica NRGY 100

PeeTex
Anybody have any experience with the Nordica NRGY100, there are a few places offering last years ski for pretty cheap and I currently don't have any wide rocker skis in my Alpine inventory. These seemed to have good reviews and seem a little more versatile than the Enforcers which was a highly rated ski this year.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nordica NRGY 100

Marcski
I saw that too.  I read some mediocre reviews that turned me off. I'm not sure it is a strong enough ski. I'm still looking...probably will go slightly narrower than 100 personally.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I've been skiing the NRGY 100 for about 3 seasons now, and I absolutely love that ski.

I find that I can ski it on almost anything, but it certainly stands out in the softer stuff. In the ultra-hard-pack, it's probably not the best choice, and if you like to ski really fast, it's probably not the best option.

You probably shouldn't take my word for it alone, as I'm not exactly the best "technical" skier (right Coach?), and can't really give you a "technical" review, but having said that, I would say that it's my favorite ski. I just got a pair of the 93 Enforcers, and hope to ski them this weekend ... it will be interesting to see how they compare.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Face4Me wrote
I've been skiing the NRGY 100 for about 3 seasons now, and I absolutely love that ski.

I find that I can ski it on almost anything, but it certainly stands out in the softer stuff. In the ultra-hard-pack, it's probably not the best choice, and if you like to ski really fast, it's probably not the best option.

You probably shouldn't take my word for it alone, as I'm not exactly the best "technical" skier (right Coach?), and can't really give you a "technical" review, but having said that, I would say that it's my favorite ski. I just got a pair of the 93 Enforcers, and hope to ski them this weekend ... it will be interesting to see how they compare.
Let me know, I could easily go with the Enforcers. From what I have read though - they are not as versatile -  I wanted this as more of a western ski to complement my Alpine collection, I have fattys im my AT collection with the widest being 100s but in Alpine I my widest is 85 and nothing in my alpine collection has nay rocker to it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
When the NRGY's first came out (2 years ago??) I got a pair of the 90's. I liked the ski well enough, but at speed on hard packed it was mushy feeling.  I went back to my 84 Pro's and was much happier. Today if the NRGY's and the Enforcers were sitting side by side I'd go with the Enforcer simply due to it being a stiffer ski. But for what you're looking for, sounds like soft snow conditions, it just might be perfect for you. They certainly are lightest ski I've ever been on and noticed that right away.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Camp, I appreciate the comments on weight.  I've actual looked at (and am still considering) the NRGY 107 to put my Dynafits on as my touring/backcountry ski.  It's really the evolution of the El Capo I'm on now, without the metal.  The one thing I've been having trouble finding info on is weight.  The Torsion Bridge is supposed to give some of the stiffness of metal, without the weight.  One criticism of the NRGY 107 is that it doesn't float in powder as well as other big mountain skis in the 100 to 110 underfoot class.  If I did get the NRGY 107 it would be used strictly in soft snow conditions and powder, along with whatever else I might find on west coast trips.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I think they are a great ski for soft snow. For those rare POW days here I break out my Patron's.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, the Patron is a great ski, but a little heavy for touring purposes and a little wider under foot than I'm looking for.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Gotcha

I say give the NRGY a try then. It's a very light ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
When the NRGY's first came out (2 years ago??) I got a pair of the 90's. I liked the ski well enough, but at speed on hard packed it was mushy feeling.  I went back to my 84 Pro's and was much happier. Today if the NRGY's and the Enforcers were sitting side by side I'd go with the Enforcer simply due to it being a stiffer ski. But for what you're looking for, sounds like soft snow conditions, it just might be perfect for you. They certainly are lightest ski I've ever been on and noticed that right away.
Yea - looking for a powder ski for alpine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
PeeTex wrote
Let me know, I could easily go with the Enforcers. From what I have read though - they are not as versatile -  I wanted this as more of a western ski to complement my Alpine collection, I have fattys im my AT collection with the widest being 100s but in Alpine I my widest is 85 and nothing in my alpine collection has nay rocker to it.
I don't know what you've been reading, but IMO the Enforcer 100 is more versatile then the Nrgy 100.. As face4me wrote the Nrgy 100 is at its best on soft snow. At 136-100-120 it certainly can't be considered in the pow ski category, but eastern powder...yeah...they are my choice. The few chances I had to ski powder this season those were my ski of choice. They are relatively light, playful, floaty and an easy turner. I had the best run of my season so far on those skis.

They also can hold a pretty good edge on firmer conditions. The one sheet of metal and the light weight torsion bridge construction work.

I've seen the internet prices you mentioned and you will not come close to those with the Enforcer.

The new Navigator/Astral all mtn. skis will replace next NRGy next season. Same construction style (full wood core, laminate ski w/ 1 sheet of metal), the biggest difference is shape. The new skis have more of an Enforcer shape in the shovel and a GS shape in the tail.

So anyway, it seems you're looking for a ski for our Eastern powder days and IMO the Nrgy 100 is a good choice at a good price point. What length ru looking for?

Side note: those E93s Face mentioned are the real deal. They jump out of my locker at me...fun...fun...fun.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
PeeTex wrote
Face4Me wrote

I skied the Enforcer 93's for the first time yesterday ... I found them to be very different from the NRGY 100's. The NRGYs have more of a "floating" feel than the Enforcers. On the hard pack, I find that I tend to skid my turns on the NRGYs, while I felt like I could really drive the Enforcers through the turn. No powder yesterday, so no way to say how the Enforcers would do there, but if you're truly looking for a ski to use in powder, I would think the NRGY 100 would be the better choice. That said, the Enforcers were a blast!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Thanks - taken under advisement.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
PeeTex wrote
I don't know what you've been reading, but IMO the Enforcer 100 is more versatile then the Nrgy 100.. As face4me wrote the Nrgy 100 is at its best on soft snow. At 136-100-120 it certainly can't be considered in the pow ski category, but eastern powder...yeah...they are my choice. The few chances I had to ski powder this season those were my ski of choice. They are relatively light, playful, floaty and an easy turner. I had the best run of my season so far on those skis.

They also can hold a pretty good edge on firmer conditions. The one sheet of metal and the light weight torsion bridge construction work.

I've seen the internet prices you mentioned and you will not come close to those with the Enforcer.

The new Navigator/Astral all mtn. skis will replace next NRGy next season. Same construction style (full wood core, laminate ski w/ 1 sheet of metal), the biggest difference is shape. The new skis have more of an Enforcer shape in the shovel and a GS shape in the tail.

So anyway, it seems you're looking for a ski for our Eastern powder days and IMO the Nrgy 100 is a good choice at a good price point. What length ru looking for?

Side note: those E93s Face mentioned are the real deal. They jump out of my locker at me...fun...fun...fun.
I read a couple of internet reviews - can't recall the exact ones but they did say the 100s were pretty versatile.
Even from your review "They also can hold a pretty good edge on firmer conditions. The one sheet of metal and the light weight torsion bridge construction work." sounds like a lot of versatility. I am not a big ski ripper anymore - those days are gone. I was looking at 185cm. $350 is the best price I have seen in this size.