classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

North Creek Ski Bowl 3/2/12

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
While it rained hard in Central NY it was snowing hard in the Adirondacks. Eugene Guana got a pass from the wife for a day of skiing, so I had a traveling companion who was game to ski some new snow. We got an alpine start and rolled into the North Creek Ski Bowl  around 9:15. We pulled right up to the lodge and got ourselves ready for a day of skiing.

The Hudson Chair was still being prepped for it's first operation of the season. We waited while Darkside Shaman helped the lift crew build the lift ramp and ski patrol checked out the trails.

As we loaded the 5th chair a bunch of familiar faces popped out of the woods and skied down to the lift with big grins.

Slowly we made our way to the top. We took our first run down Moxham.

For the second run, we met up with Darkside Shaman and some of the other local dignitaries for a run in the new Ski Bowl Glade.

Some of these dignitaries are responsible for the creation of this sweet glade.

The Hudson Glade was next and after that we found more fresh powder in some other shots in the trees at the Ski Bowl.

Off to Burnt Ridge with EDeO, Darkside Shaman, Evan and Chris, where we did a run in The Cirque, which was very nice except for some steep thin spots that had been skied off. This was the first day The Cirque was open. There was not much base prior to the storm and skier traffic quickly took the snow off the steeper pitches.

EDeO went in for lunch and the 5 of us took a run in Barkeater Glade. This skied fast and was all tracked out, but plenty of snow to make it fun. Darkside Shaman had to head out, so the final 4 took another ride on the Burnt Ridge Quad and slipped over into the next drainage and enjoyed a lovely run in the Tahawus Glade.

We took a quick break in the Saddle for lunch.

After lunch we enjoyed a run down Twister Glade. Then up the Gondola and a run in Pine Brook Glade for my first time ever. Then we did a few laps on the Summit to some of our favorite tree shots, some of which still boasted some untracked snow. We never got to the Darkside today, but I'm sure it was skiing well with a fresh foot of snow from the recent storm. There's a couple of feet of natural snow in the woods now.

Here's a photo of Eugene Guana testing out the depth of the snow on the upper mountain.

For our last run we skied the entire 2500 vertical feet from the Gore mountain Summit to the Ski Bowl base...a perfect way to end our day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: North Creek Ski Bowl 3/2/12

Darkside Shaman
A great day with great friends is priceless!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I  the great skiers who call Gore their home mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Super upset I couldn't make it up yesterday.

Looks like you guys had a good time!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
fuj im sure they saved some for both of us, they told me they would. it was a promise. you wouldnt think they'd lie and hog it all for themselves?
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Oink Oink
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Your screen name should be "Powder Pig"
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
or hog boy
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
As I mentioned in Outlaw's thread...Chuck was sure this day would come, and he was right.

Gore's 1st 100% open day this season was a classic.

I especially like that you finished with a T-2-B run.  Coming back from NH Thursday night I saw More Gore billboard in VT that showed Gore's vert above Mt. Snow, Okemo and Stowe (I think).  And you guys skied it the next day. Be curious to know the tree vert as a percentage of the total on that T2B run.

Good on ya. All of yas.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Our very first (Moxham) and very last (Cloud, Tahawus, Pipeline, Peaceful Valley) runs were on trails...every run in between was primarily in the woods. We would have returned via Tahawus glade, but ski patrol had just roped it off and they were sweeping it as we skied by.  I'd say we skied 80% in the woods. It was very foggy that day and we found that the return to the lift (on lower Headwaters) from the trees was more dangerous due to the fog and the slower skiers making sudden turns as we skied by.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Looks like fun but why is everyone dressed in black?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Black is what the cool kids wear

Actually, I believe they are wearing black so that they aren't easily spotted in the woods.

The irony is, they ski in such a large pack, it's hard to miss them.

One day I was trudging along one of Gore's flats and I was passed by a group of men in black. I knew who they were without even seeing their faces, just by their presence and lack of color.
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Looks like fun but why is everyone dressed in black?

They are forest ninjas!!!  
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
like a flock of crows raiding one area disappearing to the next
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Powderqueen wrote
The irony is, they ski in such a large pack, it's hard to miss them.
QFT. I think there were about 20 on Thursday before we all started to split up.
And then there's that one jerk following them around with obnoxious colors and a white helmet.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
rookie
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman