North Creek (or area) lodging?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

North Creek (or area) lodging?

kitchener
As we're locked into an extended weekend-type trip, I'm thinking of trying out Gore  (first time) versus what I perceive to be more crowded (and more expensive) VT resorts (Killington and below due to distance).  Two families of four coming up from the Philadelphia region, we're looking at the first weekend in March, arriving Thursday the 3rd and leaving Sunday or Monday.

Gore is running a "I Love NY Bonus Weekend" ski-and-stay special (3 nights instead of 2, 3-day lift passes instead of 2) that seems pretty reasonable, at face value.  A good many of the listed accomodations are in the low-$200s per person, so ~$420 for 3 night's stay and 3 day's lift tix for my wife and I is pretty tempting.  A lift pass for my 11 year old isn't much, and my 5 year old would ski free, and they don't even need beds (they can air-mattress it).  The second couple is similarly configured.

But, I have no idea where the listed accommodations are, or how nice they are.  They've got them broken into groups of A. Resorts/Hotels & Country Inns, B. Bed & Breakfasts, and C. Town House & Vacation Homes.  The latter sounds tempting for what I assume would offer kitchens (but eating out isn't that big a deal if convenient).  Giving the schlepping factor (small kids...), we don't want a 30 minute drive in the mornings.

Here's the link.  http://www.goremountain.com/packages/special_deals.cfm?id=17 

The Copperfield is clearly recommended here on this forum but is a little too toney for our budget-minded trip.  We're spending quite a bit more for a trip to Telluride in late March, sans kids, and we're trying to pull off this extended weekend on the cheap to get the kids some good ski time this year.

Thanks!

Aaron
Wilmington, DE
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: North Creek (or area) lodging?

Denis.N
Aaron, I'd recommend to remove from consideration lodging in Lake George, Queensbury, Glens Falls, etc. Drive is too far (30..45 min) and there are plenty of local choices.

Personally I have stayed at Copperfield Inn (good choice) and Black Mountain (don't see it in the specials list - clean motel, good restaurant). Also stayed at Alp Horn Motel - they have only few rooms, but some of them are large, good restaurant there as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
I would look at a local home or condo and make sure it is within a 10 minute drive to the mountain.  A 5 year old might want to go home after lunch while someone stays to ski with the 11 year old.  I think you can get something suitable for three nights between $800-$1000.  If you split that between two families, the  cost is less than a motel.  You have the added feature of a kitchen and that will help bring down the food expenses.  As you try to narrow it down, feel free to post and many people will help you. Good luck!
Reply | Threaded
|

kitchener
Thanks for the tips thus far.  Is there a good source for finding homes/condos in the area?

Aaron
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
i was hesitant to recommend private house rental as it's not part of the Gore deal. I agree with goreskimom, that in turn it might be better deal, plus houses as have kitchen, laundry room, etc...

Check www.adkbyowner.com for rentals
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by kitchener
kitchener wrote
Thanks for the tips thus far.  Is there a good source for finding homes/condos in the area?
You could try Cork Nester or Mark Bergman. Their ads are on the homepage of Harvey Road:

www.nyskiblog.com

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

kitchener
In reply to this post by Denis.N
Denis.N wrote
i was hesitant to recommend private house rental as it's not part of the Gore deal.
Not at all -- if something like that were reasonable enough (split between two families) we'd just do the lifts a la carte.  On that angle, are there discounted lift tix available?
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Alot on that list are not real near Gore.  Summit at Gore is on the list, based on an occupancy of 8 people.  It is very convenient to the ski area.  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

KatHanna
In reply to this post by Denis.N
We are so glad you like the Copperfield Inn!
We've got a lot of cool specials and stuff coming up in the two restaurants
and for room!
I just started doing the social media for them - FB/Twitter!
Every month a FB fan is entered into a drawing for a $50 giftcard! If you
want - join our fan page by hitting "like"!
http://www.facebook.com/CopperfieldInn
We'd love to see you again so come back and we'll treat you right!
 - Kat Hanna
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Places I've stayed and recommend:

Dillon Hill Cabins - Nice cabins with kitchen and fireplace that sleep 4-6
Northwind lodge - Small, but clean rooms with a nice continental breakfast.

If you stay in Northcreek you can take the shuttle back to the motel (saturday and sunday only) so if the family needs to split up is't easy to do.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Hi Aaron,
Not sure if you ever found a place or not, but we own a house in North Creek that would suit your needs perfectly.  We do participate with the mountain's discount lift ticket programs and we are walking distance to ski bowl and "downtown" north creek.  The house sleeps 12 and we have over 35 positive reviews (and no negative ones:) from previous guests.

PM me for more details if you are interested.

Danzilla