Now that the season has ended prematurely, rate it

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Now that the season has ended prematurely, rate it

sudsnbumps
I’m not dead yet...I feel happy...I want to go for a walk...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
sudsnbumps wrote
I’m not dead yet...I feel happy...I want to go for a walk...
As a an ADK local, that is your prerogative. If there were a way to spin lifts just for the locals I would support it. Please post some pics.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I'd give it a solid 3. Quite a few days, 41. Unfortunately almost all of them were at Greek Peak. Yeah, I know, the finest skiing in central NY. The season started out with a bang, 2ft Dec 3 at Belleayre, but my powder skis pretty much collected dust from that day forward.
The only places I skied other than Greek were Belleayre, Elk, and McCauley. I screwed up a few weeks ago by purchasing McCauley tickets online. Snow Ridge got 29". I would've gone there if I hadn't already bought the McCauley tickets. I actually contemplated eating them and hitting Snow Ridge. McCauley didn't suck, they did get a foot.

I have soon to be cancelled plans to fly to CO on 4/4. The plan was to ski a few places on the Freedom Pass. Hopefully if society still exists next winter, I'll be able to head out there. My son lives in Boulder.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
I would rate mine a 8 out of 10. I got out 27 times, After 10 years I finally made back to ski in NY at Plattekill and got to  meet and ski with  some great people from this group. I also skied 2/3 of my days with my almost 26 year old daughter for the 20th year in a row and What Dad wouldn't like that. Finally I skied at three new places this season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Late to rate but figured I'd chime in. Given I was physically unable to ski with my back injury up until the second weekend in February, and then the season ending prematurely I'll rate it in two parts:

Part 1
Nov-first weekend in Feb, third weekend in March onward: 0/10. I couldn't ski, my back hurt a lot or the season was over. So it sucked

Part 2
Second weekend in Feb through second weekend in March: 8/10. First weekend was post pow at Gore and skied great. Same thing next weekend. Met up with thegreatabyss both, had some quality runs. Also finally went to Becks! Went to Colorado for 4 days weekend after, had 2 bluebird perfect temp and snow days at Copper and A-basin followed by a nice graybird day at A basin and a absolute blower pow couple of hours (10+) at Copper before I flew home that afternoon. Next weekend drove up at 4 AM to Whiteface to rendezvous with thegreatabyss again post the 30 inch dump and probably skied WF in the best midwinter conditions I have ever experienced. Crashed in Placid, hit the bobsled bar (Zig Zags) and sucked at darts (one may never be recovered). Repeated again at Whiteface on Sunday and then headed home. Stayed home the following weekend (which was a mistake), then hit Bristol last weekend when I heard ski season was over and had one solid last day with decent corn snow.

So in a small sample size I made the most of it. Although I only skied 11 days this season every one was at least a 7. Given my back issues of late I'll take the quality over quantity. Next season, I better be out there more and be able to get surgery by then (which I need to resolve this) so I don't miss out. However, in today's coronavirus world, that may not happen but I'm optimistic.

One thing that really differentiated this season was all the turns I made with thegreatabyss. It was a blast having somebody to ski with who was like minded and equally skilled. Although we have made turns in the past, not as much as this season. I'm used to skiing solo or with my uncle, who is a good skier as well but not as aggressive as thegreatabyss and are I in skiing the woods and steeps. Had it not been for this forum (and Harvey) we would have never made the connection a few years back at Killington.

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Likewise Kleetus!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I actually thought it was a descent season. We certainly had erratic weather, but that seems to be the new normal. We were off to a really good start, managed to make it out west a couple of times, skied Greek Peak a little less than we had hoped to, with some split weeks and weekends between Greek Peak and Killington. Of course, we our missing our spring festivities at Killington, but not much we can do about that. We are still optimistically hoping that the snow holds up, and we still get to make a few turns this season. Of course, that all depends upon our pandemic.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My left leg was more healthy than it has been in a long time so I wasn’t skiing in pain.  I attribute that to skiing almost all my ski days except for pow days on mid 70s width skis as well as a lot of exercise.

I skied better that I have in a long time and enjoyed my return to teaching after taking a season off.  I coached some kiddos in a season long program which was very fun and did a bunch of leading clinics.

I got 11 days on my ikon pass doing trips to Sunday River, Sugarloaf, sugarbush and Killington. I had 2 awesome days at PowMo skiing pow with a guide and also some really good WF pow days.  

I’m bummed I won’t get to do my planned trip to Snowbird unless something changes really soon.  Sure I can go out west next year but there are only a limited number of ski trips I can get with my son before he gets too busy with life.  Watch my son race had some highs and more tough spots than I was used to.  Being a male 1st yr Fis racer is incredibly difficult starting most races in the 80s to 100s when the course is shit and racing almost every race against div 1 college athletes is a bitch.  I don’t know how he does it.

I’ll give it a B or B+ but it could have been an A if it went to its normal end.  I was on track for 65 days but ended with 51.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time