Now that the season has ended prematurely, rate it

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Now that the season has ended prematurely, rate it

Saratogahalfday
I'll give it a C-. Nice start in early December, then it was completely wiped away by mid-December (Magic went from 100% open to one trail in a week).  The overall temperature this winter was well above average, and the snowfall was below average (on the East coast).  I did visit some smaller spots (Oak, Middlebury, Plattekill), which was nice.

I'm all in on IKON next year, if only for the snow chasing aspect.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Now that the season has ended prematurely, rate it

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I think the lift served season ended a week late. Earning turns is still in play.

I'm assuming the OP means: "how was it for you?" Not how was the weather.  The weather was not good.  I had a little bit of flexibility and was able to capture some great days.

I'm giving it a 8 out of 10. No bad days, 6 or 7 that were off the hook.  The downside, only 25 days total and no spring skiing.

Spring skiing is so important, to get something so great, and social, to finish it out.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Only two ski days this year, one of them few weeks ago was fantastic
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I’d say a D, there was a bright spot early and then in late Feb but overall below average where a C is an average season
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
6 out of 10
Most of my days in Catskills
Few good days at Gore
Final 2 days made it go from a 5 to 6 because it was excellent snow y day at Mccolley Then spring conditions and nice comfortable temperatures at elk
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Any season that ends this way, and we all know the spring reaper was lurking anyway, has to get a low overall grade, no?

That said, I’ve had some memorable trips/days over the years...but this season has had some of the best.  Took my kids west with me for their first trip, and we skied a 41” in 36 hour storm cycle.  Hard to top that.  A 28” in 48 hour cycle at Whiteface that included my first adventure over to a knee deep and light Slide 5 came close.  Moments like those made this a great season.  Only 14 days, but 50% were legit powder.  

A disappointing 8 out of 10, only for what could have been!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
For conditions, I'd give this season 6 out of 10.  I had a lot of sketchy days in November and December.  The deeper into winter we got, the more conditions seemed to improve.

As far as adventure and reconnecting with friends, it gets a 10.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Peter Minde wrote
As far as adventure and reconnecting with friends, it gets a 10.
I give that ^^ answer a 10.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Solid B for me.  Every timed I skied this year conditions were A+.  Got to have first real family vacation in Utah with my adult children - A+.  Number of days skied were only 9 - C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
How do I rate the season? This year, that’s a complicated question, all things considered. I got to ski so that’s 2 points right there. A couple of those days were really high quality and most were pretty good which gets me to a 4. Skied 3 new mountains 4.5 I guess. Made some new high quality ski friends so that’s 5 right there. Skied with my kids most of those days which bumps it up to a 7. On the other hand, work, family and other obligations prevented me from participating in any of the really epic days (at WF for instance) so I’d better dial it back to 6.5. I didn’t get to Suicide Six, Bolton Valley or Middlebury which were all on my never-been-to list and covered by either the Indy Pass or the Champlain Valley Ski Card so I’m at least back down to a 6. I I didn’t make it to WF, Smuggs or MRG which were on my gotta-get-back-to list (and had tickets to) so that drops it to a 5.5 right? And yeah, it looks like the season could very well be over on March 15 and we’ve had to deal with one ridiculous heat wave after another all season so I have to knock off a point for that, which puts it at 4.5. I could add the usual 2 point glad-to-be-alive credit for a 6.5 and the generalized next-year-is-gonna-rock stoke bonus for a 7.5 overall. But I also kept expenses extremely low this year which makes me happy so maybe an 9. So yeah, obviously a 10, of course.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Harvey
All I know is that I had a lot of fun this season, and that’s really all that matters.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Had my best day of the season today.

It’s been a fun one overall. Skiing with Cody makes every day skiing really fun.

Next year I’ll be introducing her to ski touring, snow science and back country safety. She’s going to be 13 this May. I’m really excited to get her into the real stuff!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Still skiing here at Greek Peak
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
All I know is that I had a lot of fun this season, and that’s really all that matters.
  +1
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
2 out of 10.

Cancelling my Spring trips to Squaw & Breck.

Had some good days, but really, the only thing more disappointing than this is no ski season.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
+2
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
I'm giving it a 6 out of 10.

I had some great December skiing at Killington when the entire mountain, glades and all, were open.
Went to Tremblant over XMAS and had some okay conditions, but my wife really loved the little village which was great.
Early to mid January was rough, I got some days in at Gore, but most weren't anything spectacular.

The kicker to this season was late January through February.  I went storm chasing and probably did more powder skiing this year than ever.  I also got to take a run in the Slides which was a first for me.

I never made it out West but I don't even regret it.

Had I been able to get another month of spring skiing in I probably would have given this season an 8/10.

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
^ That sounds better than a 6 to me...

I'm going for a 7.6.

Added (2) ski areas Pico and Jay, no pow but found found lot's of good snow in the the Jay trees and even though there were no real trees in play the Glade(?) trail skiers right was a blast at Pico.

Only (1) GP day but made the best of it with a skin/tele morning, a lift served bcXcd adventure and a beer at Lot5

No Gore or WF this year

No trip out West...

Piss poor snow year but blue did a great job snowmaking right from the the mid November start, ending abruptly with two great spring weekends bashing bumps. Old bones probably couldn't/shouldn't handle much more of that anyway...

Great BC powder adventure at Brandon Gap

Lot's of laughs, fine foods and liquids between the VT trips and parking lot antics

Celebrating MrsSnoBunSki getting her PSIA Level 2, might even bump it to a 7.9

Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Yo Yukon,

You got that right. This weekend's closures scorched our trips to Aspen late march (fuck!), and Tremblant early April (whatever they say in Quebec!). Furthermore, there is 4 feet plus waiting on the Slides @ Iceface.  The only place I skied this season was Gore (signed up for 45 days, they got me for 68?), with 113 rippin' kids and their awesome 20 coaches.

Wouldn't Trade It For Anything.

Ski You On The Hill Next Year,

64ER