Now this is a way to retire...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Now this is a way to retire...

Marcski
The 43-year-old finishes his career by smashing the old mark, with an average speed of 51.115 kph PARIS, September 18, 2014 (AFP) — Germany's Jens Voigt on Thursday lowered cycling's hour record, covering 51.115 kilometers at the Velodrome Suisse in Grenchen. Voigt, who turned 43 on Wednesday, be...

http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycling/voigt-breaks-cyclings-iconic-hour-record

He was an amazing rider, a great personality and fun to watch.  He will be missed in the pelaton. Kudos to a great career!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Now this is a way to retire...

Harvey
Administrator
That is incredible. How old were the other guys who set the record?

Didn't Jens have a terrible accident a few years ago in the TdF?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I think the way to answer that Harv, is to say which time? He was known as one of the toughest guys in the Pelaton.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Marcski wrote
I think the way to answer that Harv, is to say which time? He was known as one of the toughest guys in the Pelaton.
I could be wrong but I thought his front fork failed on a high speed descent. I googled it but didn't see it.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
That is incredible. How old were the other guys who set the record?
Not incredible at all. They recently changed the rules that govern the hour record. Look it up, it has an interesting history. As far as I know, Jens was the first cyclist to try to break the record since they rewrote the rules. He basically got in at the ground floor before other riders properly prepared and went for it. Nothing against Jens, I really like the way he rides and you gotta be a hard man to do that sorta thing. But his record will likely fall before too long. Much like many of his stage wins, this was a well timed tactical move. Well played.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
He does mention in the article that the record wouldn't stand for long.  

I googled it and it looks like under the old rules you couldn't use a state of the art bike?
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
It's completely incredible. Not just Jens, but the speed elite professional cyclists attain and are able to sustain.  Mind boggling really.