classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nubs Nob Michigan 4/4/18

Mi Skier
This post was updated on .
Harvey said he would love to see a ski report from a Mi ski area. This is from what was the best day I have ever had.

I thought my ski season was over, but when a winter storm warning was issued for Northern Michigan and 12'-18' of snow foretasted my buddy at work and I made a last minute decision to take a vacation day and go storm/powder chasing. We dorve as far as Gaylord Mi and spent the night. the usually 3 hour drive was closer to 4 1/2 hrs. We had to make a choice of skiing Boyne Mtn which was only 20 mins from our motel  or Nubs which is an hour further north. Boyne had maybe 1/2 of the hill open and most of the runs were in a bowl and lift tickets were $60. Nubs was 100% open and $40 lift tickets. So we choose Nubs.

We were booted up By 9am and they had at least a foot and it still snowed another 4 hours. It was very windy on the main face and there were pockets of hard pack and 1-2 feet of new and drifted snow. We went over to the south side and ended up being sheltered from the wind and 12"-15" of un groomed snow

This was my first time skiing in anything more than 4-6" of new snow and now I know why people live for this. The wood which were done for the season on Tuesday now were back in play and knee deep in some areas. The Pin Tail Peak had most of the runs groomed with the sides left untouched. It was a good decision because the with the depth of the snow and the grade of the runs it would not have been fun. After about 5 hours my legs had all they could take. Skiing powder deferentially used different legs muscles than I have been using all season. It was a great way to end my season.

Also winter just won't let go. You can see that Grand Traverse Bay is still frozen, but Lake Michigan has no ice on it. The veiw is fantastic.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nubs Nob Michigan 4/4/18

Brownski
Looks like an awesome place and an awesome day. Though it appears to be about the same vertical as Mt Peter and a lot of the smaller feeder hills around here, it also seems to have a lot more variety. What’s the trail mileage/ acreage there?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
Brownski wrote
Looks like an awesome place and an awesome day. Though it appears to be about the same vertical as Mt Peter and a lot of the smaller feeder hills around here, it also seems to have a lot more variety. What’s the trail mileage/ acreage there?
They don’t post how many miles of trail lake. The avg is about .3 miles long. They have 248 skiable acres
https://www.nubsnob.com/fact-sheet/

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Mi Skier
Mi Skier wrote
This was my first time skiing in anything more than 4-6" of new snow and now I know why people live for this.

Mi thanks for posting. When I made that comment I hoped you might do it next year, was not expecting this!

Looks like a wild day going from full on snow and clouds to sun and back.

So much fun to see pow reports that don't come from semi-pro pow hounds.

SWEET.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
I will post one more report later that will show how can have fun on a small hill.  
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Mi Skier
Wow!  Thanks for sharing.