ORDA Lift Speeds

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ORDA Lift Speeds

snoloco
I found out how to calculate lift speeds using the loading interval and I made a few observations particularly about the ORDA detachables.

At Belleayre, both detachables are rated for 1000 fpm and the Superchief is run at around 800 and the gondola just over 900.  They slowed down the Superchief to supposedly reduce the breakdowns, and the gondola terminal speed is too fast at 1000.

At Gore, all three detachables are rated for 1100.  I find that the HSQ's are usually around 1000 at least on weekends, although I've seen AE2 running wide open once this season and once in a previous year.  Burnt Ridge obviously never gets the crowds so it makes sense that it's turned down and 1000 is still fast.  Both are turned down to way less than that midweek.  The gondola is actually the slowest of the three.  I've seen it run at absolutely ridiculous speeds (think way under 800), but I've also confirmed that it runs at 950 on busy weekends although it's usually slowed down even more.  Judging by the terminal speed, it seems they could probably run it a bit faster and still reasonably load.

At Whiteface, the gondola was actually the fastest in the world when built with a design speed of 1212 fpm, but I've never seen it run anywhere near that speed, even on the busiest days.  I clocked it at only 930 fpm today and they were running it as fast as I've ever seen judging by the motor sound, usually it's a lot slower than that.  The facelift is rated for 1000, and I've seen that run at ridiculous speeds as well, but today they had it around 825 which is reasonable for a detachable that serves low level terrain.  I've never seen it go faster than that, so I don't know if the terminal speed would be an issue for loading.

The one thing I don't get is why the Gore/WF gondolas are so darn slow.  They are the most popular lifts at their respective mountains.  Also, the Whiteface gondola has very little capacity since they only load 6 to a car and it's run super slow (relative to design speed).  Running it at full speed or at least somewhat close to it would make the lines a bit more reasonable.  Whiteface isn't known to be particularly crowded, but the gondola is the exception to that and has absurd lines nearly every weekend and some weekdays and the vast majority of the times I try taking it, I end up on Facelift instead.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ORDA Lift Speeds

Benny Profane
Are you a virgin?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
  They slowed down the Superchief to supposedly reduce the breakdowns, and the gondola terminal speed is too fast at 1000.
Rather than slowing down a lift to reduce the frequency of breakdowns, why don't they just determine the cause of the breakdowns and fix the real problem. It took me a few years, but My rope tow (s) used to break down all the time. This year I completely redesigned it, and have not had even one minor mechanical failure all season. It's all about troubleshooting.

At Plattekill this weekend, I made a ballsy move and asked the lady at the desk if she knew why their passes were $20 more than Belleayre's this year, and she replied "because our lifts don't break down."

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Ethan Snow wrote
snoloco wrote
  They slowed down the Superchief to supposedly reduce the breakdowns, and the gondola terminal speed is too fast at 1000.
At Plattekill this weekend, I made a ballsy move and asked the lady at the desk if she knew why their passes were $20 more than Belleayre's this year, and she replied "because our lifts don't break down."
I wouldn't really call that ballsy. More rude than anything.  Plus you know they aren't subsidized by the state....
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I don't think it's rude to ask for a brief explanation as to why a smaller mountain with less snowmaking and that is not open during the week charges more money. I get the tax thing and want to support Plattekill and I'm not going to try to be a cheap skate. I just want to be given an equal opportunity to do so.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Not sure about all the math but I’ll take Sno’s word for it.  It does seem like the Gondi is running slower than in past years on non windy days.  I also am finding that not putting 8 in a cabin is really impacting the amount of time in line especially in the singles line.  I’m wondering if the are purposely babying the motor to put lower loads on it for some reason.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Are you a virgin?
Hahahahahahahahah!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
I don't think it's rude to ask for a brief explanation as to why a smaller mountain with less snowmaking and that is not open during the week charges more money. I get the tax thing and want to support Plattekill and I'm not going to try to be a cheap skate. I just want to be given an equal opportunity to do so.
Usually the person working the cash register is just an employee and has no say in ticket prices. Just seems like a weird time to bring up that issue.  Less snowmaking and not open during the week but still needs to pay the bills with less tickets sold.  Not hard to do that math there
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"There is no issue with gondola. Speed varies upon wind and certain operating conditions."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
I appreciate not getting stuffed in an 8 pack.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Are you a virgin?
Haha! Do you need to ask?
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
In reply to this post by Harvey
I dont think theres any issue at Whiteface, but like Coach said, Ive noticed it seems to run a bit slower than when I was skiing there almost daily from 04-08 during college. It use to rip up the mountain Midweek.

It's crazy to think the Northwoods and Cloudsplitter are going to be 20 years old next year.... I'm getting older
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Are you a virgin?
Haha! Do you need to ask?
Im pretty confident the old sage Benny knows the deal!

His timing was spot on.  Well play Benny
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I saw the gondola at Whiteface running at full speed (1212 fpm) briefly this morning and it looks really really fast.  Unfortunately, they slowed it down before opening and it's only going 950 fpm now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
How many lifts in the northeast run faster than 950?  That seems pretty quick.  How much does time the extra 262 fpm save you on ride up?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
About 2 minutes a ride.

The fastest lifts I've been on regularly are the Skyeship at Killington and Telecabine Express at Tremblant.  Skyeship was at 1050 last time I was on it, and the gondola at Tremblant was around 1100 last time I rode it.  Both are rated for 1200 and I've seen them run wide open when it gets busy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So if you ski from bell-to-bell, with no breaks, how many extra laps would you get at 1212 vs 950?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I don't know.  At least 2-3 more.  But you'd save even more time if there was a line as you're spending that much more of your day in a position where you're dependent on the lift to get anywhere.

Facelift was about 815.  Timing the summit quad now.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Summit is about 375.  They slowed it down a lot this year to not offend intermediates rather than saying if you want to ski the summit you'd better know how to get on and off the lift.

Lookout and Little Whiteface still need to be timed.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Little Whiteface around 400.