classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Oak Mountain

Michaeltokyo
Harvey,
Nice blog.  Why not cover Oak Mtn.? It's a mini Hickory IMHO.  
Mike
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Oak Mountain

Adk Jeff
I talked to the Oak Mtn rep for a while on Sunday at the Winter Expo.  Quite a bit of money has been spent there over the past decade or so on a new lift, lodge, snowmaking, etc.  Oak could be a fun, low-key kind of place.  It doesn't look to have quite the terrain that Hickory has, but on the other hand it is in a more favored location for snow.  I've put it on my list of places to hit, might go there with my almost-7-yrs-old son and see if we can't find some fun tree shots.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
Michaeltokyo wrote
Nice blog.  Why not cover Oak Mtn.? It's a mini Hickory IMHO.
Mike ...thanks. And thanks for your help on everything Hickory over the past week.

With regard to Oak, there was a Hickory thread on Snow Journal where the topic of Oak Mountain came up.  

There was some back and forth via PM, and it looks like we might get Oak Mountain on Harvey Road this season.

Here's a little goodie from our archives ..circa 1969 (?)

Oak Mountain Trail Map

The map really hasn't changed that much in forty years.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
I talked to the Oak Mtn rep for a while on Sunday at the Winter Expo.  Quite a bit of money has been spent there over the past decade or so on a new lift, lodge, snowmaking, etc.  Oak could be a fun, low-key kind of place.  It doesn't look to have quite the terrain that Hickory has, but on the other hand it is in a more favored location for snow.  I've put it on my list of places to hit, might go there with my almost-7-yrs-old son and see if we can't find some fun tree shots.
 Don't be expecting much. I've skied a year it was closed. With a decent  amount of new snow it doesn't have enough pitch to even bother with
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Sounds like a good place to learn how to ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
I learned to ski there in the 70's. It a great hill for beginners.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
Whatever it takes to keep it going...If I owned a sled, I'd be there.