Okemo: Another Bubble Chair

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Okemo: Another Bubble Chair

Marcski
I believe the only thing that may change Sno's perspective is the passage of time and years.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Nicky Z
Nicky Z wrote
The ski bowl COULD be open my your mandated date of 12/26, but to have all of the connecting trails via Burnt Ridge also open is simply not feasible to do the vastness of Gore's map. The could make snow on Peaceful Valley and have that open by 12/26, but what good would one lift and trail serve. You are also forgetting about snowmaking capabilities, water and electricity usage limits, staff and weather limits.
It's perfectly feasible for the Ski Bowl and Burnt Ridge to both be open by 12/26 and both be connected to the rest of the mountain.  It is also feasible that all the lifts further up on the mountain are open as well.  Realize that all lifts at most other ec mountains have all lifts open by 12/26 and Gore is one of the few not consistently able to do so.  Just upgrade the snowmaking so this can be done.  I've posted my sample opening strategy, but I'll post it here so you know.

11/15:  Lifts:  Adirondack Express II.  Trails:  Sunway (full route), Quicksilver, Showcase.

11/22:  Lifts:  Adirondack Express II.  New trail openings:  Twister, Wild Air, Sleighride.

11/28:  New lift openings:  Gondola, Sunway, Topridge.  New Trail Openings:  Foxlair, Ruby Run, Topridge, Uncas, Tannery.

12/6:  New lift openings:  Straightbrook.  New trail openings:  Pine Knot, Hawkeye, Cloud, Headwaters, Chaitemac

12/13:  New lift openings:  North and High Peaks.  New trail openings:  Sleeping Bear, Pete Gay, Tahawus, Hullaballo, Santanoni, Wood Lots.

12/20:  New lift openings:  Burnt Ridge.  New trail openings:  Cedars, Echo, Sagamore, Lies.

12/26:  New lift openings:  Village Chair, Hudson Chair, Tubing tow.  New trail openings:  Peaceful Valley, Eagle's Nest, Pipeline, Village Slope, Abenaki (when cut).

After 12/26:  Open all trails not previously opened including Powder Pass, North Star, Upper/Lower Steilhang, Lower Darby, Little Cloud, Fairview, Rumor, Oak Ridge, Moxham, 46er, Hudson.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nicky Z
snoloco wrote
Just upgrade the snowmaking so this can be done.  
 That would involve essentially quadrupling Gore's snowmaking capacity. Your plan requires condensing 10-14 weeks of snowmaking into 7 weeks. You also failed to factor in weather set backs. Some seasons Gore doesn't start making snow until Thanksgiving weekend. If your'e not happy with Gore, go somewhere else please so the rest of us can enjoy it.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Nicky Z wrote
snoloco wrote
Just upgrade the snowmaking so this can be done.  
 That would involve essentially quadrupling Gore's snowmaking capacity. Your plan requires condensing 10-14 weeks of snowmaking into 7 weeks. You also failed to factor in weather set backs. Some seasons Gore doesn't start making snow until Thanksgiving weekend. If your'e not happy with Gore, go somewhere else please so the rest of us can enjoy it.
What's needed is needed.  If snowmaking capacity needs to be doubled to have the acceptable amount of terrain open by 12/26, it needs to be upgraded ASAP to get with the program.  Waiting till after MLK weekend, and sometimes till almost President's Day to have all the lifts open is absolutely unacceptable in 2015.  That wasn't even acceptable in 2005 or even 1995, especially when Windham, Hunter, Mount Snow, Stratton, and Okemo can get all their lifts open by 12/26 in all but the worst of the worst winters.  I will be visiting one of the other mountains I listed instead if they have much more open.  Okemo's terrain is boring and repetitive, but at least they can actually open it before hell freezes over.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Sno, one more time. Please answer my question. How many days did you do at Gore in each of the last three winters?
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Goreskimom wrote
Sno, one more time. Please answer my question. How many days did you do at Gore in each of the last three winters?
Why even ask? What's required (other than the internet) to be an expert on Gore?

Anyhoo, he skied a total of 83 days last season; only 2 days at Gore - Sunday opening weekend (11/16) and Sunday MLK weekend (1/18).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote
Sno....you are a good guy, well informed and intended, this I'm sure.     All others......please accept him as a  scorpion.    Just stop trying and arguing with him.
There's no arguing. There's not even much of a discussion. He keeps saying the same thing and ignores anything that doesn't sync with his weltanschauung for Gore. I can't decide whether it's tautological or merely redundant.

It's more about semantics. He talks about what's "feasible." Many here tell him what's "practicable" instead, given that Gore is owned by the State, situated within the Blue Line, and subject to the whims of whoever is Governor and in charge of the State Legislature.

I guess he figured out all by himself that he should go to Stratton next season instead of Gore. Let's hope so. It will be easier to ignore his rants about that place.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Red Eye Nester
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
How many ski days at mountain creek does it take to equal one day at Gore ?

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Welcome Red Eye Nester.

Listen, I say it's 50/50 that sno grows up and builds a dominant mountain like Hunter or K.  When it happens I'm going to take credit for egging him on.

All employees will know.  "All terrain open by 12/26."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Spongeworthy wrote
I guess he figured out all by himself that he should go to Stratton next season instead of Gore. Let's hope so. It will be easier to ignore his rants about that place.
If you want to ignore his "rants" than don't engage, shut the F up. Sometime I think he gets bored and just wants the adult discussion. His buds are probably out smokin weed and trying to get some tail and the most thoughtful discussion he gets is some lame debate about Homer Simpson or whatever asinine TV character they watch these days. You guys are easier to wind up than a cheap watch.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sno is basing his comments on a very limited number of days at gore just like he hit Jay on a bad weekend and it sucks.  

He needs to get it into his young head that skiing is not an amusement park and conditions vary.  Orda ski areas are veer going to 100% open for The holidays unless ma nature helps out.  It has happened but it's a rare thing.

You can put lip stick on a pig but no number of heated bubble chairs is going to make most of us want to ski Okemo.  Okemo just plain sucks.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
Goreskimom wrote
Twice this past winter, once last winter, and 8 times in 12-13 for a total of 11.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
snoloco wrote
Goreskimom wrote
Twice this past winter, once last winter, and 8 times in 12-13 for a total of 11.
You have clearly spent enough time at Gore to become an expert on Gore operations. When Mike Pratt retires you should apply for his position.

Just show them your snowmaking plan.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Goreskimom wrote
EXPERT STATUS!!!!!!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Although not a Tim and Diane fan myself, Okemo does serve a purpose.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
I ski approximately 30 days a year at Gore and enjoy most of them.  Perhaps  I'm too easily satisfied?
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Don't ever settle for anything less than 1000% of terrain open by Halloween.

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
snoloco wrote
Goreskimom wrote
ahahaha, sorry sno you just lost a bit of cred buddy! I stay away from a lot of wf and gore discussions as I don't get a ton of days there -  but have as many as you??!?!?!? I guess I could study the trail maps and make a lot of assumptions
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Sno, thank you for the straight up answer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
A certain kind of skier thrives at Gore. We know Gore isn't perfect we but focus on what we do love about it.  Not lifts or lodges, or ancillary stuff. Gore is about a real love of skiing. Gore skiers love skiing, the mountain and the people it attracts.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp