Okemo, Vermont 12/2/2014

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Okemo, Vermont 12/2/2014

nelsap
Had a great time at Okemo for the first ski day of the season!

After the big thaw melted a lot of the new snow, I didn't know what to expect. However, the snow set up nicely last night, and the groomers had been out, so the skiing was mostly groomed granular with only a few frozen granular patches. Some portions resembled packed powder thanks to the groomers.

34 trails were open, just enough to keep the variety going throughout the day. I skied all of them, and found Nor'easter, Chief, and Heaven's Gate to be the best.

The new Sunburst Six bubble lift is amazingly comfortable....as they say, like a flying couch. The bubble keeps out the wind, and keeps it quiet on the lift. This will be particularly nice on frigid, windy days to warm up, especially as you reach the top, which can be windy. The heating elements were not yet installed, but will be in the next few weeks.

As the chairs are stored in a new facility next to the lift each night, they only had about half of the chairs up this week. It was not crowded and you wouldn't need more chairs on a slow midweek day, and I'm sure it saves on the weight on the lift/energy costs. It seemed to be slightly shorter to the summit than the old HSQ. This is one fine lift!

By midday, the retirees that ski in the morning were mostly gone...leaving probably 100 people on the slopes...it is always a cool experience to have a large resort mostly to yourself, with no liftlines, and trails to yourself.

So overall, a fantastic start to the season! 28 runs, and 28,600' of vertical, which I think is a record for me for first day out.

Sunburst Six
Sunburst Six

Inside the Bubble
Inside the bubble

Bubble
Bubble chair

Heaven's Gate

Rimrock
Rimrock

Jeremy
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Okemo, Vermont 12/2/2014

Hudsonhiker
Nice report looks like good snow and weather. Got your new book yesterday thanks. I was just checking it out earlier it’s great.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
That lift looks so awesome.  I can't wait to try it out sometime this season.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by nelsap
Wow. Now THOSE look like comfy seats.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
I guess they got the idea from Snow.

We used to like Okemo but, I bet in the early and late season, its a fine mountain. Vermonters in the Northeast Kingdom say that Okemo in Native American Indian means "every run looks the same".  I crack when I hear that. It's been a while and maybe next season we can make a trip.

There season pass is ridiculously expensive at 1800..

Wonderful photos and keep making turns!
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Okemo and Mountain Creek should team up with the new marketing slogan:

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Oh that is a riot. My 10 year old son would say that...

Last year we skied Mtn Creek and my son ended up saying "The bunny run is not as crowded as the ski lodge"  - we opted out of getting cards there this year too. Great when its not crowded but, that isn't often.

The video with my son saying that can be found here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36tPUpjxPVI

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Bababooey
In reply to this post by PeeTex
bubble lifts are cool when new..then the bubble gets scratched up. then not so cool..
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
Looks pretty good after the thaw.  There is an opportunity to do some good and ski Okemo this weekend

Bring a toy, an article of clothing or five non-perishable food items to Okemo on Sunday, Dec 7, 2014 or any five non-perishable food items to Okemo on Sunday, March 29, 2015 and ski the entire day for just $39! All donations collected will be distributed to Black River Good Neighbors' food bank in Ludlow, VT.
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Thanks. We might just do that as we have a one day pass still to use at Mount Snow. Maybe we will do Snow on Saturday then on Sunday do Okemo!

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
I don't think it would work.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by nelsap
What a bunch of soft bitches "skiers" have become. That lift is horrendous.

The whole point is to get outside during the winter. Wear some layers. Buy a jacket with a hood.

(This post wasn't directed at you, Nelsap. You're cool.)

I've had some fun Spring days at Okemo, but that place as a whole, is not for me. Come to think of it, I've only skied there when I have a free ticket.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Why should Mountain Creek do this?  Our lifts are quite utilitarian compared to this one.  No padding, no bubbles, no footrests, and one doesn't even have any seats.  They are really just meant to get you from bottom to top quickly and nothing else.
and what else would you like a chairlift to do- unbuckle your boots, wipe your nose,dispense hot cocoa,waffle anyone?
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Um...a waffle dispenser would be rad.

The problem is that a waffle at Okemo costs $47.50 not including syrup.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Um...a waffle dispenser would be rad.

The problem is that a waffle at Okemo costs $47.50 not including syrup.
syrup drip would probly stain the bogner
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
I mean the lifts aren't cushy.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
snoloco wrote
I mean that MC's lifts are not cushy and don't protect you from the elements.
try riding the freezer express quad
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
freeheeln wrote
snoloco wrote
Forget it, I'm not going back to Jay Peak unless someone gives me a free ticket.  If you are referring to the AE2, I will be riding that many times when I make it go Gore this year and I will try out the Okemo 6-pack as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
snoloco wrote
freeheeln wrote
snoloco wrote
Forget it, I'm not going back to Jay Peak unless someone gives me a free ticket.  If you are referring to the AE2, I will be riding that many times when I make it go Gore this year and I will try out the Okemo 6-pack as well.
What month did you goto Jay?
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
We do Jay every Easter break and for the last 4 years it has been nothing short of amazing conditions.

I am sure some of you saw our video blog from this past Spring. Love that place - the kids do too...

AlbaAdventures.com