Old Karhu xc skis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Old Karhu xc skis

bean valley
Anybody know the Greenland model? I searched all the way to the end of the Internet and couldn't find anything...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Old Karhu xc skis

MC2 5678F589
bean valley wrote
Anybody know the Greenland model? I searched all the way to the end of the Internet and couldn't find anything...
Nope. But funnily enough, I just found out over Thanksgiving that the main US distribution manager of Karhu Skis lives in my parents' retirement community in North Carolina. Forgot the guy's name, though, so this post is completely useless... Sorry...

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by bean valley
Are you looking at the ones on Ebay for $62.99? The graphics are similar to my Trak Couloirs, a rebranded version of the Karhu Catamounts. The Couloir/Catamounts are 85/70/80 and in the Ebay pics, you can see that the Greenlands are 73/60/67. The Couloirs are great no-wax bushwhacking skis and take all kinds of abuse, so the Greenlands would be the same, just a little narrower. Not sure if the Greenlands have fishscales or are waxable, likely fishscales. The ones on Ebay are way overpriced, even with the binding. The skis could be 25 years old, the bindings are the original Profil BC, at least 10 years old. The Salomon Profil BC (later called X-Adventure) was discontinued last year, so unless you have the boots already, or can find some somewhere, you'll be spending money on new bindings. Too bad, it was a great system, but couldn't compete with NNN BC.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

bean valley
Thanks. Those are exactly the ones I was looking at. The seller said they are waxless but doesn't really seem to know anything about them. I think I'll steer clear...there are some used Orions that look better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
They would have been a great deal at the local ski swap for $25.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

bean valley
Well, that's ebay for you.
You think the Orions are overpriced too?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
bean valley wrote
Well, that's ebay for you.
You think the Orions are overpriced too?
Assuming the $66 ones, tough call. Newer, more desirable ski but in very rough shape. But you can't kill those skis. Do you have NNN BC boots? If so, maybe worth it. The bindings are $80 new. I'd pay $50 for them. Where is MikeK when you need him?
Reply | Threaded
|

bean valley
Perhaps I should should sell my old Fischer E99 Crowns. They're in awesome shape but they're 215s and I just can't push them around anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I am here cause I saw "old Karhu..."      Next time please be more exact so i don't get all nostalgic...
Ok, out of here.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.