Old Ski Photos

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Old Ski Photos

gorgonzola
I came across these while looking throught some old photos... my granmother and her cousin (?) on some early rise prototypes, i'm guessing saranac lake area around 1920 or so. i found another pic of the church in the background, anybody recognize it?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Old Ski Photos

campgottagopee
Cool stuff!!!!

No clue on the church
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
Gorgonzola  - I did some searching with no luck. Also there's a feature in Google images that allows you to drag and image into the search bar and find other similar images. It's very cool and often yield good results, but not this time, at least for me.

You might try these guys:

http://www.hsl.wikispot.org/

I bet they could help.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
There is an extensive history of skiing in SL posted in the lodge at mt pisagh
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

AARCHer
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
The photo is of church, Potter Memorial Chapel, originally built on the grounds of the Stony Wold Sanatorium on Lake Kushaqua, Onchiota (Franklin County), New York. The sanatorium was founded in 1903 by Elizabeth Newcomb for the benefit of children and women suffering from tuberculosis. Nearby Saranac Lake was a major TB curing center in the region. The church was built beginning in 1906 and is done in a Tudor or Elizabethan Revival style. It was designed by J. Lawrence Aspinwall, a junior partner in the New York architectural firm of James Renwick. After the advent of antibiotics and the demise of the "fresh air" cure for TB, the property was sold to the missionary White Fathers of Africa, a Roman Catholic order, in the 1950s and the chapel was renamed the Church of the White Fathers of Africa. The state bought most of the sanatorium property in the 1970s and demolished most of its buildings but the church still remains, in private ownership.

For more about the history of this site, see: http://hsl.wikispot.org/Stony_Wold_Sanatorium

Steven Engelhart
Adirondack Architectural Heritage
www.aarch.org
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Good info AARCHER. thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by AARCHer
thanks so much aarcher! makes sense, she worked at stony wold and i remember stories about lake kushaqua. and thanks for the link as well. its given me some inspration to get some more of these north country family photos and stories together
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I'm not sure if MadPat posted here or only on TGR, but here is an awesome TR from Tuckerman back in 1992 from him..

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/tuckerman-ravine-nh-may-7-1992/
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
tBatt wrote
I'm not sure if MadPat posted here or only on TGR, but here is an awesome TR from Tuckerman back in 1992 from him..

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/tuckerman-ravine-nh-may-7-1992/
Nope tBatt, I didn't post it here. Only on T4T (cuz it's the Tuck place) and TGR East thread. Twenty years ago, but I still remember that day. Conditions, skiing and partner were off the wall that day. I'll eventually (not soon) right something about my first trip to Tuck in late May 1990. No action shots, just snow. It was memorable, but not for the skiing.

People that know me aren't surprised of my ability to remember past details, how do you expect this following TR of my 1st recollection of skiing over Forty years ago on Mount Royal in Montreal. This one might have been posted here.

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2010/12/22/beaver-lake-circa-1968/

I can't go any early for my own experience, however I have a few things from my late parents somewhere. I could probably write something base on tibits of information regarding the skiing they did in the 1950s.

I have been busy of late and lost track of the ski forums, is your season over Tbatt or are you still skiing?
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
MadPatSki wrote
is your season over Tbatt or are you still skiing?
I haven't skied since I hiked West about two months ago. Still trying to get to Tuckerman before the end of next week, but that keeps looking more and more grim. Lots of stuff to do around the house.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
tBatt wrote
Still trying to get to Tuckerman before the end of next week, but that keeps looking more and more grim. Lots of stuff to do around the house.
I'm in the process of renewing my passport and stuck with stuff to deal with at home and in Montreal. Stuff in Montreal can't really be postponed, planning to hit MTW once I get my new passport in two weeks just in time for June turns. I'm afraid that  it might look more closer to July turns than June. :(
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
I found another pic over the weekend from the same era as the first, pretty amazing that these are almost 100  yrs old...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Please tell the story of this one!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
That is very cool! I love the tips of the skis.

There's actually a gentleman at Greek Peak that skies with a mono-pole.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
That's old school.  If I'm not mistaken, the single pole was planted to support the skier making the turns.  The skier lifted him/her self about the pole, turning in kind of a jumping motion.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.