classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

One last hoorah?!

onscott
This post was updated on .
Well, it looks like the end is near for skiing in the Northeast.  Mother Nature is intent on inflicting it's last injustice on the mountains this week.

Any good ideas for ending the season?  I'm thinking of doing Mt. Snow on Tuesday and Hunter on Wednesday - maybe pick up a "Traveler" (midweek) pass for $299 and using it next year as well.

It's been another mixed year - what are your thought/plans for what is left?  For me, it's another (iffy) week of skiing then the road bike comes out of hibernation.  In Syracuse, however, even that's a bit hopeful as April is a cruel mistress for any outside activities.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: One last hoorah?!

Sick Bird Rider
Go to Jay Peak. Lots of snow there right now, and it will last for a while.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yep. NoVT is sick right now. While you jokers (minus JTG who is getting the goods in the PNW) were messing around in the fog, I was skiing a bluebird powder day in the Stowe Sidecountry:

You can have a great long ski season full of solid days if you follow the weather, get out there, and get lucky one in a while.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by onscott
I think Killington will be good for a couple more weeks. I would bet Super Star makes it to first weekend in May as they appear to have a good base built. That world cup ice should help it hold up too.  

NoVT should be a god bet for a while as well given the snow pack up there unless we get another epic meltdown of 70 ish degree days.

As for me, heading out to Banff on Wednesday for 5 days of skiing. Hope to get in 3-4 more days after that when I get back for spring turns at WF, Gore (maybe), Stowe, or Jay. Then finish out my season, as is tradition, lapping Super Star in May should they make it.

I too live in the 'Cuse and my mountain and road bikes are ready to come out of hibernation. Although I did get a decent ride in at Great Bear and Skytop a couple weekends ago and actually rode the lake loop yesterday on my MTB and it was decent. Anything beats riding on rollers!

That being said, I would rather get a few more weekends of skiing in over bringing the bikes out.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Kleetus wrote
I think Killington will be good for a couple more weeks. I would bet Super Star makes it to first weekend in May as
Really?! They've never made it short of the 3rd weekend in May in my memorable lifetime.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
onscott wrote
Looks like even Killington is on a death watch
where did you hear this?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Not sure what you are talking about
WF will be good to make Easter
I still have 2 plus feet in my yard
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Yep. NoVT is sick right now. While you jokers (minus JTG who is getting the goods in the PNW) were messing around in the fog, I was skiing a bluebird powder day in the Stowe Sidecountry:
What day were these photos taken?
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Not sure what you are talking about
WF will be good to make Easter
I still have 2 plus feet in my yard
Yup. I sense some negativity here. I do think the fat lady has sung, but the mountains will be good a bit longer.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
ADmiKe wrote
Yesterday Morning.

https://goo.gl/photos/LUKYVuhXWcoQxdRw5

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
mattchuck2 wrote

You can have a great long ski season full of solid days if you follow the weather, get out there, and get lucky one in a while.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Sorry guys, I don't get the gloom and doom.  Death watch???  Sure, there were challenging conditions at Whiteface this weekend and, gasp, they may get a brief warmup and a half inch of ncp over the next couple days.....but they are still rocking 73 trails, including glades.  A shot of snow Friday night maybe and some springy temps for the weekend will make for better than death throes skiing, I think.  I'll be there.  Obviously NoVT isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Buck up, buttercups....lots of good spring skiing left!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
mattchuck2 wrote
ADmiKe wrote
Yesterday Morning.

https://goo.gl/photos/LUKYVuhXWcoQxdRw5
Oh OK...I was gonna say...Saturday at WF was one of the foggiest days I ever skied there...if it looked like that at Stowe I wouldn't have believed it.  Sunday morning at WF was blue and sunny as well....great day yesterday.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Oh I think they'll make it past the 1st weekend in May. Just that is as far out as I would guarantee them going to be conservative. I'm sure they'll make it past that
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Yeah I haven't heard of anywhere really being on death watch except for some smaller areas which normally close around now anyways
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Dude. There is plenty of skiing left to be done. Bring on the corn!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Kleetus wrote
Yeah I haven't heard of anywhere really being on death watch except for some smaller areas which normally close around now anyways
You're right it was a bad choice of words and they have since been removed from my original post.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Hunter's projected closing is april 9th.  I can't make it this weekend most likely but I hope the sun is shining next weekend! I love spring skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Good for you MC!  I am surprised that it is so powdery two weeks after the storm.