Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Snow

Harvey
Administrator
I just joined. Pretty cool.

Especially if it is accurate.

OS is telling me that snow will start around 1pm on Sat and start to hammer around 7pm.

I'm sure it will shift but if it ends up being accurate on Friday night, it's worth paying for.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I’ve subscribed for years
They tend to over predict some storms and usually over predict winds for WF
I finds the temps are really accurate wh8ch is a big help for me picking race waxes for away races in particular
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I don't really care if the inches are correct.

Rarely am I shut out by wind. 3 of my top 4 areas are running fixed grip chairs from base to the summit.

I want to know:

When is it going to start?
Is it going to mix?
Who is getting the most?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm finding Open Snow quirky.  Sometimes storms disappear from the day by day and then come back. Like for a while last weekend Plattekill was showing 1" and Belleayre was showing 15.
Reply | Threaded
|

jmc5040
Joel Gratz who started Open Snow in Colorado adjusts the resort forecasts in CO during ski season... otherwise it would pull data from weather sources and self populate the forecast. With so many Northeast resorts I would suspect there isn’t much fine tuning taking place outside of major areas, but that is purely speculation. If the models are all over the place then that could yield an individual mountain forecast that changes a lot. The forecast difference between two close by Catskill resorts is certainly odd though! Regardless, I always got the most out of Open Snow in Colorado by reading the forecast discussion and taking in the overall trends that various models are spitting out and how the forecaster is interpreting that data. I’ve always been a basic member so haven’t had access to everything. Obviously if you know where to look and have the time to do it you can keep track of those models. I’ve really just started following the New England forecast this season so don’t have a good feel for how good it is. I will say Joel knows his stuff in CO and can only hope the rest of his team knows their zones equally...
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
jmc5040 wrote
Joel Gratz who started Open Snow in Colorado adjusts the resort forecasts in CO during ski season... otherwise it would pull data from weather sources and self populate the forecast. With so many Northeast resorts I would suspect there isn’t much fine tuning taking place outside of major areas, but that is purely speculation. If the models are all over the place then that could yield an individual mountain forecast that changes a lot. The forecast difference between two close by Catskill resorts is certainly odd though! Regardless, I always got the most out of Open Snow in Colorado by reading the forecast discussion and taking in the overall trends that various models are spitting out and how the forecaster is interpreting that data. I’ve always been a basic member so haven’t had access to everything. Obviously if you know where to look and have the time to do it you can keep track of those models. I’ve really just started following the New England forecast this season so don’t have a good feel for how good it is. I will say Joel knows his stuff in CO and can only hope the rest of his team knows their zones equally...
I've never bothered to look at OpenSnow for the northeast and certainly not for the southeast since SkiSoutheast covers that region far better than any general snow weather website.  Have found OpenSnow good for Taos, Utah, JH, and Montana in the last few years after signing up.  I don't really care what the snow will be like since I plan my trips months in advance, but it helps to know what to pack the week before in terms of temperatures and potential for skiing and/or driving in a snowstorm.  Only have one-pair of all-mountain skis for trips out west and rent powder skis when I get lucky, so that's not a consideration for packing.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
Those numbers  do not come from a forecaster. There is some sort of computer program / algorithm .
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Snowy week upcoming maybe 4 inches today another 6 to 10 Tuesday and the wild card is any LES after that as we get cold with a decent flow over the lakes as the cold comes in from the west
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Now that OpenSnow has added more multi-resort passes under Season Pass, the map option is more fun.  Especially for the regional passes like Peak or Freedom.  Paying for the subscription and being able to look 10 days out has some value for me when thinking about where to go when I'm driving and have flexibility.

There is a link to OpenSnow on the MCP webpage.  So presumably some revenue is involved.

Here is the 10-day forecast map for today for Peak:

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In New England open snow is staffed by Plymouth State Meterology grad students.  They have no coverage for the Daks and Cats or farther south so no one is directly monitoring it.  I think it’s more accurate in New England because of that.

It seems to work really well for the areas that they cover with deadicated mets out west.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
We have myself and Jason for the Dacks and Cats, no one else needed
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
NorEaster27 wrote
Seriously, WTF? Where’s the loyalty? You guys must feel like your wife is checking out the pool boy. NYSB is my weather site!
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
NorEaster27 wrote
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski is the man.

I'm feeling the love for Open Snow today.  Thinking about NEXT weekend, it's fun to look at options based on new snow. Even if it is a pig in a poke.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
don't give the house yet...they didn't see 12gfs...it was uggggly
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Brownski is the man.

I'm feeling the love for Open Snow today.  Thinking about NEXT weekend, it's fun to look at options based on new snow. Even if it is a pig in a poke.
Looking like a mega powder day on Wed despite what Jason says
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
As a paid member Open Snow sent me a survey asking what features I want. I think it is pretty good, but open it suggestions on how to improve. What do you think?
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Now that OpenSnow has added more multi-resort passes under Season Pass, the map option is more fun.  Especially for the regional passes like Peak or Freedom.  Paying for the subscription and being able to look 10 days out has some value for me when thinking about where to go when I'm driving and have flexibility.
OpenSnow added the Indy Pass.

Looking at the OpenSnow forecast maps is the easiest way to see where all the locations are for a given multi-resort pass.  Especially the ones that cover multiple regions.  But I'm doing that on a laptop, not a cell phone.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Major re-design for OpenSnow on iOS announced.  Will be ported to Android as well.  Pretty good changes I think, although I use OpenSnow more on the desktop than my iPhone.  Not really interested in look at a trail map on a small screen.  But might make me use the app on my iPad more when traveling.

https://opensnow.com/news/post/opensnow-ios-app-january-2020-updates