Opening day at A-basin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opening day at A-basin

Chris
Woke up at 7am to the sound of water pattering on our window well.  All fall we've been a few degrees warm for snow here at the house.  It seems to have been lingering a few hundred vertical feel up the valley.  Got out of bed, checked the webcams and ate a couple bowls of cereal.  By 7:45 the rain changed to a heavy snow with 30mph winds.  The forecast called for 70+ winds above treeline.

In the car at 7:50...Leavin the house

Down to highway 9 toward Swan Mtn road.  Road conditions were typical for a winter storm

It took us 45 minutes to get to the mountain.  Parking lot was not very packed, I would say about 25 cars.  It was snowing hard at the mountain.

We pulled our boots on at the car and walked into the lift line.  The line wasn't bad and we waited for about a half hour for the premier of the Black Mountain Express quad to open to the public.  A basin's only high speed lift.  The local radio station KSMT and Daylight donuts were hosting the liftline pre-party with music and free donuts

We were seriously digging the stoli 1 piece

Finally the time came the opened the gates 5 minutes early.  The lift was great, gets the rider to mid station in about 3 minutes.  First run of the year had freshies almost all the way down.  First run consisted of about 3", I would say by the time we left 6 runs later there was 5" though hard to tell with drifting.  Coverage was great- no thin spots thanks to 7" a few days ago and the storm rolling through today.

1 trail with a few park features for the rats.  Gave me a little chuckle that numerous people stopped and waited to hit features on the first run of the season with fresh tracks all the way to the base.. Something I'll never understand!

Took 5 or 6 runs in a row and decided it was best to get out of there.  It was already getting scratchy and I decided it was time to get to work.

A friend brought a keg around 11, he wasn't the only one.. According to reports there was a good party going on all afternoon.  

When we got back to the car it was 23* and dumping- haven't checked the site to see how much they have received so far. Saw a few NY plates in the lot- always good seeing some neighbors. With this storm expansion should come fairly quickly (hopefully).  

A few pics from the lot

It was a great first day, legs felt good and the snow was beautiful- no snow guns blowing in the face.  Glad a few people could get out on the Toll Road, I am most definitely jealous that people were making turns back East before me.  I'm going to try to get out for another hour or two before work in the morning, it's still snowing hard.

It's funny coming out here early season.  A-basin was proud to announce their 18 guns blasting the mountain.  I like how the mountains back east run 50+ guns pumping at a time.  I've noticed they will not make snow unless its under 27.  The technology out here just isn't up to par, of course we know why...  It's nice to see our snowmaking taking a superior lead.

I'm thinking cold thoughts for everyone back east.  Put your sticks by the door, winter's coming
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Opening day at A-basin

Harvey
Administrator
Trying to figure out which pics to "quote" here Chris. This is some serious stoke.

For some reason this picture gets me pumped. Reminds me of driving north on 87:

Dude ... you are one lucky man...

Chris wrote
Glad a few people could get out on the Toll Road, I am most definitely jealous that people were making turns back East before me.  I'm going to try to get out for another hour or two before work in the morning, it's still snowing hard.

I'm thinking cold thoughts for everyone back east.  Put your sticks by the door, winter's coming.
And a totally stand up guy. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to your next report.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tommy
In reply to this post by Chris
you beat me brother, a little jealous, but stoked for you.

can you believe I'm a "blogger" now?
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
HAH welcome to the machine!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Chris
more snow last night. Great opening to the season. Mid Mountain lodge pic at lunch today

funny like a clown