classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opening day at Mohawk 2014

Skiray
This post was updated on .
At the last minute we decided to check out Mohawk Mountain as we have never been there and it's only a 90 minutes drive from NYC. The snow today was amazing - freshies all day and you can ski anything - ski patrol was totally cool and my 5 year old skied off trail with us all day. The lines on this mountain remind of me what runs used to be like, lots of turns and interesting terrain and for sure this mountain feels so much bigger than what it really is. Lots of fun to ski here and will for sure go back again this weekend since we are staying in CT. Will post video and pics by the weekend. This place skis like a light version or Mad River Glen - well at least it had that vibe. Lovely mountain and today the snow was delicious. I still can't believe we are not in December and we will have 5 days in the season for the East.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Opening day at Mohawk

Skiray
Some more photos from yesterday. The kids think its too cold - so we may just ski in the afternoon today..

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Skiray
Skiray wrote
At the last minute we decided to check out Mohawk Mountain as we have never been there and it's only a 90 minutes drive from NYC.

The snow today was amazing - freshies all day and you can ski anything - ski patrol was totally cool and my 5 year old skied off trail with us all day.

The lines on this mountain remind of me what runs used to be like, lots of turns and interesting terrain and for sure this mountain feels so much bigger than what it really is. Lots of fun to ski here and will for sure go back again this weekend since we are staying in CT.

Will post video and pics by the weekend.

This place skis like a light version or Mad River Glen - well at least it had that vibe. Lovely mountain and today the snow was delicious. I still can't believe we are not in December and we will have 5 days in the season for the East.

That's what 10 inches of real snow does for you. Nothing better than the real stuff. If you were just relying on the snow guns alone with no natural snow, conditions would have never been that good. Not even close. It would have been scratchy and/or sticky, icy spots, much harder/firm conditions on the groomers. No comparison to what mother nature offers. And that's just on the groomers. That's not even counting powder. That being said snow guns are an absolute necessity in 99% of the ec and mohawk does a great job blowing snow to create a good base.
Glad you had a great time
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Too bad I had other obligations so I couldn't go skiing anywhere unfortunately.  How long did it take you to get there from nyc? You say 90 minutes? How is that even possible. It can take an hour just to get from queens or manhattan to the bronx. lol
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
It was a bit more than 90 but, not by much.  We live right by the GWB, and we got pretty lucky with the traffic too. The kids wanted to take the day off to hang with their friends. Tomorrow though should be a good day.  

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
This post was updated on .
The video I promised.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Nice!  That snow looks great
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.