classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Out of Control

Harvey
Administrator
I wacked my finger pretty bad about two months ago. Almost cut the end of it off with a hedge trimmer. Ouch.

Was looking through the bills last night.  The costs are unreal.

Really I'd pay $600 every time to have the end of my finger saved.

And the guy who did it, wasn't a doc, but he really did a decent job from what I can tell.

But this splint cost $195:

Insurance paid $180 and I paid $15.  I'm guessing it cost $1.79 to produce.

Out of control.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Out of Control

Adk Keith
I thought you were referring to the OOC Ski Club!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
I think more competition is needed in health care.  Not in insurance, but in areas like that.  There's no way that thing should cost $195.  If it does, a firm should come along and produce it for $50.  Then another firm should come along and produce it for $10, etc.

The problem is, when you turn health into a profit center, you get all the problems that come with it being a profit center (sweetheart deals, kickbacks, shady contracts, etc.).  For some reason, that manufacturer has something set up so that there is no competition in the thumb splint industry and it is able to charge an exorbitant amount of money for a shitty little piece of metal that looks remarkably similar to this one that costs $5
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harv - If you were wearing that splint, you would not have cut the tip of your finger off.       I just purchased a gross and wear them daily.    :)    Came in real handy putting on shingles this weekend.      Leather gloves just wear out, but the metal tips last forever picking up and laying shinlges.     Pneumatic nailer did not even penetrate the 1/8 thick metal.  

Actual price by the gross shipped from china..  $0.23 each.      
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
HEY! Who's the new guy ? ^^^^