Noooooooo!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PNW Conditions

nepa
raisingarizona wrote
Noooooooo!
Yup... Temp never went above 20... it was pure Colombian Blower!   My neighbor described it as the "pinnacle of sickness"

This is their pooch Rover early AM yesterday

Coming up for air

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Front Page News in Wenatchee

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Headed home from the East Coast today... should be a good weekend in the PNW.   Looks like the Sierra is going to get pummeled also... maybe too much snow.  

It could be  a similar setup to last weekend at Mission Ridge Saturday into Sunday (I think these numbers are a bit overstated, but nonetheless, it's looking good for the Eastern slopes of the Cascades)

A bit less at Stevens, but they had a phenomenal December with over 200 inches so far this season...

Good numbers at Crystal also...

A bit drier to the south, but still good days ahead at Hood/Timberline

More snow further South a Batchy down around Bend... they've were buried in December also

You really can't go wrong anywhere in the PNW right now.  It's been brutally cold since the beginning of December.  The snowpack at the Cascade Crest is running 150 to 175% of normal.... there are still some thin spots to the East, but as we head into mid-season everything is looking pretty good.

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
Still holding up well... Cold as hell... snowing every few days (4 more inches in my backyard last night).  Long range has showed a warm-up for the past few days... Maybe above freezing by next week.  It's been a great 6 week run.

Going solo...Lowest risk option today was earned turns in the ski area (closed Tuesday & Wednesday)

Fresh line with Sun Break

Microwave Ridge from the Northern edge of the area

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In general, no new snow since Monday... It has stayed cold, so the snow is still pretty nice.  The next cycle rolls in tonight.  There will be a brief warm up with this one, along with a period of mixed precipitation.  It looks like we go back to a colder pattern later in the week.

Hippy Pow Trip in the Stemilt Basin yesterday

Ski area from skin track

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Lot's of rain west of us... Eastern slopes above 3k seemed to be spared any liquid precip....nothing but good ol' fashion Cascade Concrete East of highway 97.

4 inches of freshly poured concrete on top of last night's PM groom... no complaints

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Prepping for another big cycle... potentially 18 more inches by Sunday.  It's been an amazing 6 weeks  (as good or better than last season).

Backyard on 12/06/2016.(First significant snowfall of the season)

Backyard today...

Fell off the roof this morning while breaking ice dams... fortunately, this time of year, my house is surrounded by 6 ft snowbanks so it was a short fall onto a bunch of softish snow.  It felt like a slow motion moment...that split second when you realize you've lost all control of the situation.  I nearly shit myself... not from the startling aspect of the moment... but from the impact.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
Prepping for another big cycle... potentially 18 more inches by Sunday.  It's been an amazing 6 weeks  (as good or better than last season).

Backyard on 12/06/2016.(First significant snowfall of the season)

Backyard today...

Fell off the roof this morning while breaking ice dams... fortunately, this time of year, my house is surrounded by 6 ft snowbanks so it was a short fall onto a bunch of softish snow.  It felt like a slow motion moment...that split second when you realize you've lost all control of the situation.  I nearly shit myself... not from the startling aspect of the moment... but from the impact.
I know the feeling. You got to be careful, man
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Brownski wrote
I know the feeling. You got to be careful, man
Right on Brownski.  I also need the name of a good roofer.  Unfortunately my roof appears to be at end-of-life.  

Great snow today... poor visibility in the upper basin

Last chair today... first chair tomorrow
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Just got back from a trip to the inland Northwest.  Unfortunately, we experienced the tail-end of a three week draught.  Great trip all things considered.  

After a few dry days, snow has returned to the Cascades... the first storm came in last night with a blast of cold air and 5-8 inches of new snow.  Not the most impressive totals, but it is cold again and the snow is dry.  It looks like we'll have snow throughout the weekend and into early next week.

Earning turns in the ski area this morning.

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa

From the Stevens website this morning... The entire range got hammered... Cold air in place.  It's Utah quality snow.  It doesn't get any better than this.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
My house has taken a beating... I suppose this is the consequences of consistently good snow....

Freezing rain along with a short warm up have trashed much of our good snow.  It's looking like we'll get a refresh by midweek.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Late winter in the PNW.  Last weeks rain has given way to 3 days of moderate snow across most of the Cascades.  Rounding the Corner into the final month of meteorological winter, the snowpack looks healthy.

The midmonth depth measurement shows near average conditions in most locations.  So far, the Eastern slopes have been the winner this season

Out early in the AM at Mission the past few days.  Conditions have gradually improved since Friday.  It felt bottomless in most locations today.  I would imagine most areas have seen a full recover from last week's freezing rain disaster.

Spent last weekend in Vancouver BC.  We were supposed to ride Cypress and Grouse, but it was just too dam crowded for me (Holiday weekend North of the border... there was a mile long wait to park at Cypress).  

Great city.  Great food... Great scenery. Lots of culture...

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
It's been a great time to be unemployed.

Coverage is good everywhere.  Crowds should be pretty light from here to the end of lift service.  There appears to be an atmospheric river pointed at the passes this week.  All have been, and continue to be hammered.  Morning is the right time... afternoons get a bit sloppy.  

The south facing hillsides in the valleys have begun to melt out, but apparently there is still enough snow to film down in town

Looking North towards Canada from just below 5k... I'm looking forward to Spring.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Damn, looks like you guys are in the midst of a good cycle.  Snow right into the middle of next week.  Looks like snow levels may push to 5k next week, but that probably isn't bad for March.

I'm headed west the weekend of March 25/26 and right now the PNW is the way I'm leaning, but there's a ways to go.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
the long range is giving the PNW a happy ending
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
A degree or two too warm today.  Low Snowquality Pass living up to its name ....Cascade Cream Cheese today @ Alpental
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The less than ideal powder you "complain" about is more than dreamy to us east coast guys!  That said, if I go PNW in 3 weeks it probably does make sense to keep it to the Crystal environs, as the added elevation there can squeeze out the extra degree or two to make the powder a little better.  Still, I'd be happy with fresh Cascade Concrete!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
1 ... 3456789 ... 17