Paralyzed skier asks resort be held responsible

Snowballs
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Paralyzed skier asks resort be held responsible

dmc_hunter
There's a special layer in hell for people that sue ski areas...
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
dmc_hunter wrote
FKNA
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
campgottagopee wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
FKNA
I knew a guy that sued Hunter..
He skied with me all over out west... Could navigate steep chutes... We'd climb for cornices...  All that..

dude made a bad turn and went into the woods and hurt his back..  
Sued the ski area...  Not sure how it turned out but we heard he was not welcomed back...

I saw him this year at the bar..
He walked up to me and tried to give me a drink... I almost spit in it..  Instead I just turned my back on him and crossed my arms Klingon style....

F that idiot...  Personal responsibility is where it's at... Not blaming people because you made a mistake  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
dmc_hunter wrote
campgottagopee wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
FKNA

F that idiot...  Personal responsibility is where it's at... Not blaming people because you made a mistake
Right on!

Too many finger pointers in this beautiful country of ours anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
campgottagopee wrote
Too many finger pointers in this beautiful country of ours anymore.
A wise man once said:  "When we point our finger at someone else we have three more pointing back at ourselves."
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
"The road of life is rocky... And you may stumble too..  so while your pointing fingers someone else is judging you.."

Bob Marley...
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It's a tricky topic, I certainly think the right to sue can never be signed away by a waiver.

In a park, the look then leap policy should mean that he thought the landing was fine before he hit it, so it might not be a great example. But what about if the lift rolled back because it wasn't actually maintained properly? I'd probably want to sue about that if I survived.

There are probably other examples we could come up with, and they mostly revolve around human error.

So, while most of the 99% of the people who have ever sued ski areas or other skiers are complete jerks looking for a handout and ruining the sport for everyone, it's also important that they have their day and that sometimes ski areas, etc, be held accountable if they actually fuck up.

Right?
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Some ass wipe lawyer probulary talked him into it. No offense to any of you who might be part of that profession. I'am sure a skiing lawyer wouldn't be part of this sacralage.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
So, while most of the 99% of the people who have ever sued ski areas or other skiers are complete jerks looking for a handout and ruining the sport for everyone, it's also important that they have their day and that sometimes ski areas, etc, be held accountable if they actually fuck up.

Right?
I'd say so
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote

Right?
Sure..  I think that there are things that s ski area can do that would be their fault...

But not this..  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I always wonder if the person suing is thinking...

"What I did was my responsibility. Now I've got this incredible, debilitating and expensive injury. I am so screwed.  What are my options? I guess I either go without the care I need or I go after the ski area.  This lawyer is telling me I have a shot. Do I have any choice?"

So maybe it's not like they think the ski area is really at fault.

Not saying it's right.  Just wondering if the person suing really thinks it's the right thing to do, or just doesn't see any other option.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
I can totally see that too...

Who knows what any of us would do faced with the same situation...?

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Lawsuits against ski areas suck but if you were the guy in the wheelchair it might look different.

If this suit succeeds and ski areas are then responsible for their park features insurance companies will put their feet down.  Terrain Parks will be a thing of the past faster than you can blink.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote
 Terrain Parks will be a thing of the past faster than you can blink.

Cool. Those things are a big waste of snow and terrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I hope the plaintiff will have to prove negligence on the part of the ski area to win. In today's society, that's not always the case.

Harv raised a very good point. Serious injuries and massive unpaid medical bills can change a person's perspective rather quickly.

Many times a person's own insurance company files suit regardless of the injured's wishes.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Coach Z wrote
 Terrain Parks will be a thing of the past faster than you can blink.

Cool. Those things are a big waste of snow and terrain
Keeps the kids off the advanced trails....  Careful what you wish for..  :)
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I certainly agree that the park holds the interest of many teens and makes the rest of the mountain safer.  This law suit could set a nasty precedence that would lead to more law suits over park injuries.  Raising insurance rates which will impact ticket prices.  It might lead to having to sign a separate waiver to access the park like Nastar requires.

Nothing good happens from this.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I always wonder if the person suing is thinking...

"What I did was my responsibility. Now I've got this incredible, debilitating and expensive injury. I am so screwed.  What are my options? I guess I either go without the care I need or I go after the ski area.  This lawyer is telling me I have a shot. Do I have any choice?"

So maybe it's not like they think the ski area is really at fault.

Not saying it's right.  Just wondering if the person suing really thinks it's the right thing to do, or just doesn't see any other option.
You nailed what is wrong with the system. So the lawyers take this case for say 50% of the potential winnings at no cost or risk to the injured. Why not sue, it's the last time you'll go to a ski area so what the fuck do you care. Now if the lawyers who take the case would have to pay for the ski areas defense bill if they loose and there is a reasonable cap on settlements - just see how quickly this sort of shit stops. Torte reform - we need it badly but the fucking lawyers are running the system and there's too god damn many of them and the colleges are graduating them like shit through a goose and most of them are hungry as hell.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
To further that, judges seldom toss out frivolous lawsuits anymore. That would cut into their atty buddies' billable hours.