32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Park City saga continues

Benny Profane
Harvey wrote
That's hilarious.

Never even considered the Alta snowboarder thing.

If there is one place on Earth you can easily see the difference between skier bumps and snowboarding bumps, it's spending a day at Alta/Snowbird. Nice and uniform on the Alta side, chaotic on the Snowbird. A rarity these days.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
If anyone decides to go anywhere in Colorado, seriously consider Telluride.  True a bit harder to get to.  

For my two cents, I think this year may be a great year to go to the Canyons.   Perhpas most people will stay away as some folks here have so noted.   Having recently skied the Canyons, there is so much terrain, I would find it hard to belive anything but the easier intermediates being "crowded".     I skied 8 days there, including the weekend.    When looked at PC, beside the park(s) there was no one skiing there, or they were in pods that could not be seen.   I don't believe the traffic will increase beyond the decreased traffic that may come when people run from UT given this news.    

As far as traverses, at least at the Canyons, they are somewhat downhill.  The mountain skis big and traverses were nice to enjoy the time and view of the mountains.    Not that big of deal for me or my kids.    Skied so many runs alone I lost count.     ALONE, all alone.     (kids, in tow)  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Coach Z, So what you are saying is that the lease Vail has on the Canyons includes the land that Talisker owns which is currently occupied by PCMR (assuming PCMR is ultimately required to vacate it)?  This certainly is/was a gamble on Rob Katz's part, as paying $25M a year just for the Canyons is a bit excessive, but paying that amount for the Canyons and the majority of the terrain that PCMR sits on might be a steal. I would assume that Powder would ultimately sell the base land they own, as well as the lifts to Vail.

With all that said, why wouldn't Talisker secretly want PCMR to prevail so that they can negotiate a new land lease with them, as well?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Because they own both Canyons and the upper PC land.  If you had a choice to rent to Vail Resorts or the guys who forgot to renew their below market lease on time who would you choose?

If Vail gets ahold of both and then buys PC out of the base area that makes Taliskers land worth the most in the future.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
A new soap opera "How the bull wheel turns"
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
PeeTex wrote
A new soap opera "How the bull wheel turns"
Funny stuff
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
PCMR offers 'immediate payment' to Talisker to save ski season
Offer outlined in a letter to city attorney as mediation deadline nears
Jay Hamburger, THE PARK RECORD
POSTED:   08/12/2014

Park City Mountain Resort indicated last week it would immediately pay a firm under the Talisker corporate umbrella a sum that it considers greater than fair market value to lease most of the land underlying the resort's terrain until the end of the 2014-2015 ski season.

Alan Sullivan, the lead attorney for PCMR in a lawsuit against its landlord, Talisker Land Holdings, LLC, outlined the offer in broad terms in an Aug. 6 letter to Park City Attorney Mark Harrington. It was also sent to John Lund, who is leading the Talisker Land Holdings, LLC legal team. City Hall released the letter and two other recent correspondences related to the case after media requests using state open-records laws.

Sullivan says in the letter the immediate payment would cover a lease from May 1, 2011 until April 30, 2015. The amount would be based on an independent expert's opinion, the letter says. The 3rd District Court judge presiding over the case, Ryan Harris, has ruled PCMR's leases expired on April 30, 2011 after they were not renewed. In return, Sullivan says, PCMR wants Talisker Land Holdings, LLC to agree to not pursue an eviction of the resort until after the 2014-2015 ski season.

Harris has signed a de facto eviction order against PCMR but stayed its enforcement to allow the sides to attempt to reach an agreement through mediation. The mediation deadline is Friday. An important hearing is scheduled Aug. 27. There are concerns at City Hall and in the wider Park City community that PCMR could not open for the 2014-2015 ski season or open as a significantly scaled back operation on the lower terrain, which is not involved in the case.

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_26323978/pcmr-offers-immediate-payment-talisker-save-ski-season
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It's A hoot to read all the back and forth bickering in the comment to that piece.  The locals have chosen their sides for sure.

Seems to me that Vail is in the drivers seat here and
PCMR is going to lose
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
From the NY Times:

"Ski Town May Face Winter without Popular Path to the Slopes."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/20/us/20ski.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
You think there's any truth to the rumor that the "new" PCMR and Cherry Peak will offer a joint lift ticket - similar terrain?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Betcha the Park City rental business is getting some serious phone traffic today, and, concurrently, Colorado and California and whatever reservation lines are off the hook, too. It's one thing to read that Talisker stuff in internet forums for the past whatever months, but, now that the NYT has chimed in, Mr. and Mrs. Gaper with the 2.5 staying for 5 days are saying, "wtf???". "Hey, honey, we've always wanted to go to Whistler. Let's check them out".
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
Good explanation of the whole history of this FUBAR debacle.

https://skiinghistory.org/history/park-city-dispute

edit: weird, clicking on that link doesn't work (only in Safari?). Seems to be a pay site. Never knew it existed before. Pretty cool. Anyway, copy and paste that address into your bar, and it should work.

There's a long article about Jay Peak on the front page, too.
funny like a clown