classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pico Mountain 2/17/2011

fahz
This post was updated on .
First time ever to ski Pico Mountain. They make the claim that guests can enjoy the experience of a large mountain with the personal touch of a smaller ski area. Seems about right with Killington looming in the background it sure felt more personal than a big mountain. Thursday was was to be a warm day with temperatures hitting the 40s with clouds rolling in later in the day with the potential for rain that afternoon evening. Friday was suppose to be warmer 50s possible. Much to my delight it was mostly a blue day and it did warm up as expected. The clouds rolled in late afternoon and the rain didn't happen until I was in the parking lot loading my skis to hit the road after 4. It was the first day that I found myself removing layers and even a few were down to t-shirts. As the day progressed the snow started to resemble the spring skiing that is just around the corner. Natural snow acted as if my skis had air brakes probably a little wax might have fixed that but I decided to stay out of the trees. Stuck to the trails lke Bronco, 49er and Upper & Mid Pike most of the day. Bronco was off the Outpost lift looked like a quick easy trail but quickly became a fast little diversion. 49er featured thoe narrow trails but he conditions were packed powder with some powder on top just plain fin. And Upper Pike to Mid Pike a nice steep decent scraped of at the top but quickly turned into more of the packed powder with some powder on top. Found myself staying on the Summit Express most of the day. Lunch at the Last Run Lounge and a couple cold Long Trails on a Thirsty Thursday And even though it was a Vermont day & Thirsty Thurday the lift lines were wonderfully short!

Lower Pike
Lower Pike

Looking up Expressway on the Golden Express Quad
Looking up Expressway on the Golden Express Quad

Looking up Pike on the Summit Express Quad
Looking up Pike on the Summit Express Quad

From the Summit looking towards Killington
From the Summit looking towards Killington

Going down the backside of 49er
Going down the backside of 49er

Going up the Outpost Double looking at Pipeline
Going up the Outpost Double looking at Pipeline

Looking down Bronco
Looking down Bronco

Looking down Upper Pike
Looking down Upper Pike
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pico Mountain 2/17/2011

Powderqueen
nice report and pix
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by fahz
Haven't been there in a while, but I always liked Pico. Good to see that they haven't replaced the Outpost chair.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Haven't been there in a while, but I always liked Pico. Good to see that they haven't replaced the Outpost chair.
Not only have they not replaced it... but it only runs during busy weekends. Most days during the year it doesn't run. Which is a good thing!