Place you've lived

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Place you've lived

campgottagopee
What shit holes have you guys lived in?? A buddy of mine was over last night for some deck beers in the sun and we got to laughing about some of the places we've lived back in our younger days. I've lived in 2 real beauty's, let me tell you. Well, I lived in my car for 3 nights but that's another story......

When I first moved to VT in 86' I found this place called The Bunk House to live in. I didn't have any cash so I did chores to pay my rent ( the owner made out better than I did). The house itself was trashed out, garbage all over, wreaked of cat piss, cats all over upstairs, and we lived in the basement. I lived with 6 other ski instructors in this place for a total of 7 of us in the basement. 2 guys shared a room, the rest of us had our own "closets" to call home. We shared one bathroom as well as a common room with a makeshift kitchen. Our only responsibility was to be at the mountain by 8:30 ready to ski, so you can imagine what went on there. Phew, I'm glad I survived the 2 years I lived there.

From there another instructor found the palace!!! We had our own place!! I was a hunting cabin that somehow we made work as a year round residence. in the winter time our only heat was a wood stove so you can imagine how many times the water would freeze. LOL We slept in sleeping bags because the place was so friggin cold. We would have snow on our sleeping bags from the cracks in the walls where the snow would blow through. It truly was a party palace.

Ah yes, the life of a ski bum. Every night was a Friday night and everyday was a Saturday   
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Place you've lived

warp daddy
CAmper how deep was the beer on the floor on weekends ?bwaahaaa

YO  Johnboy !! U in da house ? U wanna come clean ' bout  the Garbage tree and the "Track "house whilst at UB ???

Could NOT ever let The Queen of the Hop enter THAT joint even when ole JB graduated and the party was ragin '

place was not fit for human habitation 😅😅😅😅
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Warp, it was bad. Real bad.

My parents came up for a visit once. My Mom grew up in the Adk mtns and has seen some rough places, she wouldn't even set foot in the place. LOL
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Ah yeah !! youth is wasted on the young  dammit , hahahaha , chit  in my day ( i am areal ole bastage ) we had to grow up too damn fast and become ADULTS ( whatever the hell that means)

. So being one of those weirdos who decided to "work to live Rather than live to work"  i layed out a plan early in life to retire early and become  an adolescent with money dammit  . Hahahha

My bro tells me i have terminal Peter Pan syndrome  " sumbitch"  MAY be right
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ah yes, PPS. Many skiers suffer this condition, myself included.

I'm going to have to think about this thread for a little while, I'll be back later.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
PPS? Post Party Syndrome?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This is a great idea for a thread. I've lived in some serious shitholes over the years but it sounds like Camp has me beat. I also heated with a wood stove when I was a ski bum in Tahoe. The cabin I shared with four or five other lifties had propane but we figured we couldn't afford to refill it so we left the heat off. In the fall we went around to a couple construction sites and loaded the scrap piles in the back of my van. That wood burned so fast and so hot it was ridiculous. Later on I shoveled out the ashes and there were tons of nails and screws and staples in there. Fun times. When I worked at Killington I lived under a bar in an old broken down hotel with a bunch of total strangers. Last year I posted a pretty crazy story about how my groceries ended up getting pissed on in that place. Later on I came home from work one day and found a big sticker on the door saying the place was condemned and unfit for habitation.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The frat house at Geneseo was a beautiful, glorious.....shit hole.  That smell of stale beer just never leaves you.  Good times.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Newburgh. Thread over.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I stayed out of frat houses, but lived in a few dumps. The worst was my favorite, an old farmhouse in shit condition, but rent was $450 split between three guys.  When you are making $150 a week, that is the nice price.  There was at least one rat that would show up sometimes.  Did you ever see a rat gallop through your kitchen?  Nasty.

The worst worst was the place Zelda lived when I met her. I had a sign above the door that said "The Palace."  The floor was always dirty no matter how much you cleaned it from this super crappy furnace.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harv you had your very own live game of wack-a-mole!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I stayed out of frat houses, but lived in a few dumps. The worst was my favorite, an old farmhouse in shit condition, but rent was $450 split between three guys.  When you are making $150 a week, that is the nice price.  There was at least one rat that would show up sometimes.  Did you ever see a rat gallop through your kitchen?  Nasty.

The worst worst was the place Zelda lived when I met her. I had a sign above the door that said "The Palace."  The floor was always dirty no matter how much you cleaned it from this super crappy furnace.
There's a "The Palace" outside the WF Mountain Host locker room.  And, often enough, mice are seen scurrying around the floor.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Those are from TJ's stinky socks! ^^^^
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
When I first moved to Scranton PA back in 95, I lived above a bar called The Office.  A 2 bedroom, 1 block from the City Center for $300 a month.  At the time, that block of Adams Ave was pretty dumpy.  There was a homeless shelter and methadone clinic across the street.  Scranton in general is pretty ugly, but this particular block is much improved 20 years later.  About 6 months after I moved in, the building burned... the fire team was fighting the blaze from within my apartment... 75% of my stuff was destroyed by water... none of it actually burned, but most of anything that was valuable to me at the time, and not completely destroyed by smoke or water, (snowboards, bikes, guitars, etc.) was lost to thieves.  The SPD let the riff-raff into the building long before I was informed we were allowed back in... while I was at work, the vultures swept in and pretty much left me with the clothes on my back.

Moral of the story... if you're a renter, renter's insurance is a great idea... at 23, I didn't have much, but still had to go all the way back to square 1.  I filed a complaint, and attempted to sew the SPD, and I got nothing except a big legal bill... lesson learned about the corrupt legal system in Scranton... if you don't know the right people, you're completely powerless.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Worst place I lived was actually the best place I lived.  A run down 1950's mobile home with 3 other dirt bags, but it was in Telluride Colorado in 1979.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Worst was a semester living in the basement of a Fraternity that I wasn't a member of.  It was cheap, dank, musty, smelled like a combination of stale beer, dirty laundry, potentially loud at all hours. It was a tough place to relax.  Come to think of it there really was no legitimate fire egress......but who was thinking of that at 19? Certainly not me.

Lived at a couple raft guide/kayaker flophouses/encampments. Eventually acquired a 20' 1973 Layton travel trailer.  At least it was my own filth I was living in.  It's best years were spent living in a campground at the head of Cheat Canyon in Ruthbelle WV all spring, then up to Ohiopyle, PA for the summer, and down to Oak Hill, WV for Gauley season.