Platform pedals

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Platform pedals

campgottagopee
Any of use guys have reccomendations on a good pair of platform pedals???? I've search online and there are zillions of them, instead of just buying a pair I thought I'd get some advise from the experts. I ride in a pair of 5/10 shoes (totally dig em), and I'm looking for a pedal with some decent grip, but not long ass spikes that will tear your leg off in the event of a slip. Thanks for any help.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Platform pedals

Sick Bird Rider
I recently upgraded the basic Wellgo pedals that came with my bike. Tech at the LBS recommended the Wellgo B065 low-profile as a great value. Replaceable spikes, sealed bearings, mid-range price. The extra clearance of the low-profile design is nice if you ride in rocky places. My confidence on fast downhills is much improved with the extra grip but you can hop off easily when needed. I have Teva Links bike shoes that are stiff and grippy, good combo. I'm working on my pedaling technique and find that I can "pick up" almost as well as with the old toe clips. So far, I have not shredded my leg on the spikes.

No way I will clip in on a bike after the knee surgery, guessing you are thinking the same way.

And they come in a variety of cool colours, I find the orange really goes well with my lilac bottle cage:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good info, thanks SBR. Oddly enough the Wellgo is one that I'm considering, the other is the Azonic 420.

The reason I'm looking is I just got a new bike. Guy I work with purchased a Specialized Carve Pro and has never ridden it, ever, so I traded my old bike and some cash. This new one has duel pedals where you can clip in on one side or flat on the other. As you pointed out, I aint clipping  into anything so looking for totally flat.

The orange does go nicely with lilac, well done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
The Spec Carve is a nice bike, and fast. I test-rode one at a demo recently.

Back to pedals. Since getting the spiky Wellgos, I have found that I do need to be a bit more conscious about foot placement. Once you are standing on those things, your foot ain't slipping around, so make sure you put it in the right spot. I have pretty average size feet (9) and there seems to be lots of room for a bigger footprint. Apparently there are longer spikes available but can't see why you would need them, unless you are a downhill racer.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yeah, I remember reading your review regarding the Carve, your spot on, it is fast. In fact, my first ride on it I averaged a full 2 MPH faster than on my old bike. It's MUCH lighter with way better components than I was used to....i totally dig it

I ended up going with the Azonic 420 over the Wellgo simply b/c I found them 10 bucks cheaper. I figured the price diff was due to the low-profile in the Wellgo. Something that isn't a big concern to me here in CNY, rarely do you run into rocks around here bigger than your head so the added ground clearance isn't an issue for me.

thanks agin for the info
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
campgottagopee wrote
...I figured the price diff was due to the low-profile in the Wellgo. Something that isn't a big concern to me here in CNY, rarely do you run into rocks around here bigger than your head so the added ground clearance isn't an issue for me.
I don't know, the aerodynamic quality of the low profile pedal would have probably saved you $10 in after-ride beers.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sick Bird Rider wrote
campgottagopee wrote
...I figured the price diff was due to the low-profile in the Wellgo. Something that isn't a big concern to me here in CNY, rarely do you run into rocks around here bigger than your head so the added ground clearance isn't an issue for me.
I don't know, the aerodynamic quality of the low profile pedal would have probably saved you $10 in after-ride beers.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
If your're gonna be a pussy and ride flats, then these rock - http://45nrth.com/products/category/pedals

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
If your're gonna be a pussy and ride flats, then these rock - http://45nrth.com/products/category/pedals

Too late..this pussy is gonna be sportin the 420's
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
420 DUDE!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote

Dude your front tire is underwater!!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
ScottyJack wrote
Dude your front tire is underwater!!!
Water is summer powder.

Not.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
If your're gonna be a pussy and ride flats...
Yup.  I am.  The stock pedals on my bike are screaming to be replaced:

In retrospect they were pretty sucky even when new.

I'm thinking of trying these, they are made from high-impact nylon. At around $50, the price is right. Mesa platform pedal:

I also really like the look of these, but $100 is more than I want to spend on pedals. Spank Spike flat pedals:

Campy and Sick Bird, still happy with your choices?  Any update?  Sadly, neither of the above models appear to be available in the same color SBR got, whatever that color is called.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Adk Jeff wrote
Campy and Sick Bird, still happy with your choices?  Any update?  Sadly, neither of the above models appear to be available in the same color SBR got, whatever that color is called.
I am totally happy with the Wellgoes. Personally, I call them orange but I think the box said "gold." Feet stick like glue to these pedals but are easily removed in a sticky situation. Having said that, my leg has healed nicely from a pedal-induced gash - warning: those spikes are sharp when the bike lands on you.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
For the same reasons as Bird I too am very happy w/ my 420's......great grip, haven't slipped a foot yet----plus they look cool too
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Cool.  Thanks guys.  Will probably order the Mesas.

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
if your riding any rocky terrain or trails the nylon won't hold up. I like clipless platforms and figured the "high impact" nylon shimanos would wok well but they didn't even last a season :(
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
gorgonzola wrote
if your riding any rocky terrain or trails the nylon won't hold up. I like clipless platforms and figured the "high impact" nylon shimanos would wok well but they didn't even last a season :(
I concur. The plastic flats are intended for the BMX crowd, who tend to crash a lot and break stuff. Alloy pedals will be stiffer and more durable. The extra cash you spend on metal pedals will be worth it. You should be able to find the Wellgo or Azonics that Campy and I got for less than $100. Though those Spank Spikes are pretty sexy-looking.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Yeah, that's a good point SBR and Gorgo.  A lot of my riding is rocky terrain.  I had read somewhere (probably mtbr forums) that the nylon pedals held up well, but still I'm not 100% sold.  In any case, I'm gonna get something this week.

Next thing I need to upgrade is my tires.  They are 2.2 but look more like 1.9.  Need something a bit beefier.  And saddle, bar and grips.