classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill 2/13/11

takeahike46er
This post was updated on .
Since moving to the NYC area, I have been slowly coming around to the idea of checking out the Catskill ski areas.  A few weeks back, I checked out Belleayre for the first time on a mid-week, boot-deep powder day.  I had a blast getting some fresh tracks, but I left thinking that unless the circumstances were the same, I would rather ski elsewhere if given the opportunity.

This past weekend, I made my first trip to Plattekill.  Conditions were variable but overall skied very well considering the freezing rain and warm temps that hit early in the preceding week.  To my disappointment, virtually the entire mountain was groomed, except for the "push piles" on the left side of Blockbuster and a small number of other spots on the mountain.  It wasn't anywhere near the quality of my Belleayre powder day, but I left feeling content and wanting to come back-- something I attribute to its quality terrain.  All things being equal, I'd rather be at Plattekill.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill 2/13

Harvey
Administrator
Terrain and the most snow in the Cats. Two solid reasons to ski Plattekill.

Takeahike46er: where did you live before you moved to NYC, and what was your "home" hill?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Wasn't he a WF guy?
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Make sure to find the MTB trails on powder daize.  I grew up in the NYC area and discovered Plattekill after skiing Huntah, Windam, Belle and Highmount.  Then years later I rode the lift with a NORBA official(snowboarder).  He said he was checking out the trails (he meant the MTB trails as they are a racing hill in the summer).  I tagged a long for a few runs and found a whole new Platte.  I actually took my girls back there a few years ago and remembered how awesome it was.  A real down home feel. 
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
In reply to this post by Harvey
I lived in Buffalo for several years, and during that period, I really did not have a home hill as I only skied when visiting family in Saratoga.  A lack of friends who skied and lackluster terrain contributed to my reluctance to ski locally during that period of my life.  It was a hiatus of sorts for me.  Growing up in Queensbury, my home hill was largely Gore.  

It would seem that Whiteface was my home hill based on my interest in the place on forums, but I only get to ski there a few times a season.  In previous seasons, my affinity for the place on the forums was driven by the vast difference between my observations of the mountain, which were largely positive, and the largely negative descriptions and generalizations put forth by friends and strangers alike.  Thankfully, perceptions of the place have steadily improved to a point where I no longer feel a need to set the record straight.

Regarding Plattekill, I did see several of the mountain biking trails and I did venture down one of them.  I also saw a few other glades that looked inviting.  Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of the snow conditions due to the crusty layer lurking beneath the small amount of powder on the surface.  I look forward to checking out these areas of the mountain in the future.
Reply | Threaded
|

Caber
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
What is this MTB of which you speak? Haven't ever been there, but I'm planning on my first trip this Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In the summer Platt is a huge Mountain  Bike destination..The trails traverse the woods...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
In reply to this post by takeahike46er
Never skied there, but heard it is the best when it gets Pow. You are spot on.
On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Caber
Caber wrote
What is this MTB of which you speak?
You'll see mountain-bike trail signage that's different from the ski-trail signs.