Plattekill 3-5-2017

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill 3-5-2017

Junior

On Sunday my family and I went skiing at Plattekill. I woke up at about 6:30 so I could get ready and leave. I slept through the entire ride there and so did my brother. When we got there we were able to get a good parking spot and there weren't many people to get on the lifts before us. It was extremely cold out so we decided to boot up in the lodge. Once we were ready, my Dad decided to ride the lift one time and then skin up the hill using his new alpine touring gear.

After that I had to ski with my brother and although I wanted to ski the whales on face I had to ski sundown with him. After we finished sundown we decided to meet up with our dad as he climbed the hill. On the way to him I fell and did a full flip right in front of him. I took a few photos before getting up and when I finally got up I skied back to the bottom with my brother. We did the same run again. At the bottom my brother asked if we could get lunch so I skied the whales on face and then went in to eat lunch with him.

After lunch we went out and fooled around, sliding down a snowy hill and playing hide and seek around the lodge. It may of been childish but it was fun. We both kept trying to get up to the top of the hill but my brother would come close and fall down while trying to grab onto me. We got very wet from being in the snow for so long. We would constantly find each other during hide and seek but that didn't matter much because we could escape every time. We later had hot chocolate and then continued to play hide and I tried boot-skiing down a small hill but failed. Our dad told us  to make sure we weren't being annoying to the other people around us.

Once we were done messing around in the lodge, we went out to ski more and had a race on powder puff. My brother started first and then I was supposed to go after 60 seconds and my dad was supposed to wait 60 seconds after I went. This would of all worked out well but my dad pushed me over after 60 seconds. I started skiing away on my butt and it looked like it would be a good recovery until I couldn't stand back up and fell. My dad helped me back up and instead of waiting the 60 seconds that he should've, he went at the same time as me. About halfway down the race I tried to make up for the fall by taking a "shortcut" and skiing Cross-over onto Face even though we were supposed to stay on powder puff. When I got to the bottom my dad was in front of me so he won the race.

Sent from my iPad
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill 3-5-2017

Harvey
Administrator

Awesome Junior thanks for posting.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
Platty is the best!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Junior
Nice trip report!   It always looks like a lot of fun when kids are sliding down that hill....often into the mud!  Sounds like you guys had a fun day with your dad.  Good stuff!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Nice report, any injuries from the fall?  Hope you're OK

Thanks for posting!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
I always love reading the Plattekill reports!  Good job  Gotta get back there once more before the season is over!
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

Junior
In reply to this post by Chris
Thanks everybody. No, nobody got hurt. It was all fun
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
It is always nice to see you and your dad, Junior, and your little bro.

IMHO, Plattekill always looks beautiful, as it did Sunday afternoon:

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Always good to bump into you up there, Marc. Hopefully the mountain holds up; we're looking forward to St Platty day
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
You know, it occurs to me I may have told Junior too many stories from my liftie/ snowmaker exeperiences. Today he's trying to boot-ski the lodge hill but tomorrow it'll be riding a shovel down free fall. This could be trouble
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
A chip off the ole' block, aye?