101 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Marcski
k123 wrote
Marcski wrote
You needed a light touch in some areas..Another foot would definitely make them ski better.  If you're careful...and try and keep them pointed downhill as much as possible...it helps. Although, I did get a ding near my edge that I may have to fix.

I'll try and take some more pics...and make a post..but we need to be back home for dinner plans by 7:30.
Thank you.  Just a quick update is fine, nothing fancy
Did you make it up today?  Sorry, but yesterday was crazy for me I had no time to get online.  We could definitely use some more snow....and this week's warming trend is not going to help...with that said, IMHO, the mountain was skiing great.  You need to ski around some things....and always be aware...but I was still in the woods on Saturday:

We had dinner plans last night and my 10 yo had to do a school project today...but I was so happy with the skiing yesterday, I drove back today with my 6 yo.  :).  Here she is on Lower Face:

And here she is on Giant Slalom:

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
DIg it Marcski!  Sorry I missed you.

Today was great. Trails are skiing well.  The new glade is nice! I'll post something in the next day or two.

Love Plattekill.  The place just feels like home.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

k123
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote

Did you make it up today?  Sorry, but yesterday was crazy for me I had no time to get online.  We could definitely use some more snow....and this week's warming trend is not going to help...with that said, IMHO, the mountain was skiing great.  You need to ski around some things....and always be aware...but I was still in the woods on Saturday:
I did make it up today, had a great time.  Thin cover on the steep spots but overall great to be able to go on every trail and find soft snow conditions.  Got into the trees a bunch of times, still some powder in there and coverage not too bad.  Just one or two more good storms and they will be good to go.  Bases need some repair but it was worth it.

Sun coming through the clouds first thing:

New pond at the top:

Blockbuster:

They were bringing hoses to the snowguns on Blockbuster,FB page says they will start blowing it this week:

Trees:

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
DIg it Marcski!  Sorry I missed you.

Today was great. Trails are skiing well.  The new glade is nice! I'll post something in the next day or two.

Love Plattekill.  The place just feels like home.
Harv....let me know when you'll be there again....Platty is home...we are there all the time...  (except next weekend is my oldest's birthday party.  But we'll be back on sat. and sun of MLK weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
Harvey44 wrote
  The new glade is nice! I'll post something in the next day or two. 
Where is said new glade?   Is this the thing that a bunch of people volunteered to help cut/clear a few months back.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
BenedictGomez wrote
Where is said new glade?   Is this the thing that a bunch of people volunteered to help cut/clear a few months back.
It is the new glade that was cut on the 2nd Plattekill Workday. I'm 99% sure it is in the plan to put it on the map, but since I didn't actually participate in the trimming, I'll leave it to those who did, to give the location.  Several forum members know. But it's very obvious.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sounds like conditions on Block are primo.  Headin there in the am.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Planning on being up there tomorrow. Save some snow for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
That was taken about an hour before I was able to get Harvey to slow down and ski a couple of runs with my clan.   Always a pleasure Harvey.  Never saw you again despite me sneaking off from my girls for a few down Block and Northface.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Marcski wrote
That was taken about an hour before I was able to get Harvey to slow down and ski a couple of runs with my clan.   Always a pleasure Harvey.  Never saw you again despite me sneaking off from my girls for a few down Block and Northface.
I'm 99% sure you were 10 chairs ahead of me on your lunch run on Block.  It was just too far to yell, and you were gone when I got to the top.  Great to meet your peeps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Check out this liftline at Platty. Definitely the worst yet all season:

You know there's a line when Lazlo gets out there and starts to work the liftline..."Triple up everyone...3 on a chair".  lol.  I'm sure he was happy...there were still a few cars parked down the access road about 1/4 mile when we left at almost 5.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Plattekill:

"All the models are pointing at well over a foot. Conservatively, even a foot will open up most of our terrain."
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
We can't get out Saturday.  Big :(. But, I'll be there on Sunday with my girls. Sloppy seconds better than nothing at all! Can't wait to feel natural snow under my feet again.  Hopefully, I can get out on my backcountry XC setup in the local woods Saturday morning before duty calls.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
Harvey44 wrote
From Plattekill:

"All the models are pointing at well over a foot. Conservatively, even a foot will open up most of our terrain."
Most?

I would think a foot would have to put Platty at 100%.  Am I missing something?  
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

denvervega
They've been blowing snow on top of Plunge to Giant Slalom since last night. Lower S as well. Steady snowfall starting now.
Groomer spending alot of time on the lower face shaping the park.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Radar looks like they should be getting some action overnight. Come on lake effect!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Keeping fingers crossed for some fresh....we'll be up saturday for about 4 days...
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Looks like some fresh just showed up today, maybe 4-6"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
ml242 wrote
Looks like some fresh just showed up today, maybe 4-6"
It was snowing all day yesterday....there was about 2" on the ground when, unfortunately, we had to leave to go back downstate for school/work (damn Sandy!!).  Skiing should be great today...yesterday was the best day of the previous 4.