classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
101 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

MC2 5678F589
JasonWx wrote
with temps flirting with 50 this weekend, i'm thinking mashed potatoes ..
At this point, your pessimism is just hilarious. If I listened to you all the time, I would never ski and my life would be horrible. Thank God I just ignore all of your posts on how crappy everything is going to be and just go out and have a great time.

Temps in the high 40s is perfect early spring skiing weather. Hell, I ski when it's 60 or 70, and it's still awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
you can brake my balls all day if you want..
i'm not being pessimistic..

it's the damn truth, fresh snow plus 50deg temps doesn't equal corn. it equals mashed potatoes..
and yes i' am skiing tomorrow..

i have more pics of my skiing in shorts on this site than i do in reg ski clothes ...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
JasonWx wrote
you can brake my balls all day if you want..
i'm not being pessimistic..

it's the damn truth, fresh snow plus 50deg temps doesn't equal corn. it equals mashed potatoes..
and yes i' am skiing tomorrow..

i have more pics of my skiing in shorts on this site than i do in reg ski clothes ...
Tomorrow's predicted high for Platty is 39.  45 for Sunday. Pretty damn perfect for me too!  

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.289733539806235&lon=-74.65660572052002&site=bgm&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
If those temps stay cool, it will be very sweet..just saying the woods might be a bit manky..

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
Yesterday was the best day at platt in a long time. Deep drifts in the woods. Snowed til about 2 then the sun came out.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It seems I'm totally cursed with only beautiful days at Plattekill. It will have to do I guess!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
ml242 wrote
It seems I'm totally cursed with only beautiful days at Plattekill. It will have to do I guess!
Beautiful...?   You think???

10:00 am:

4:30 pm

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I dunno, still pretty subjective if you ask me. Remind me why we ski the east again? ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

ashley.
Gahhhh spring conditions at Platty were TOP NOTCH this weekend. My daughter got her first ever rad as hell goggle tan. They had a total blast. Sunday was even better, since I was able to let my hair lose and rip around. Sososososo nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
NYSB: Are you considering spinning on Tues?

Plattekill: Yes.  Good chance.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
It's on:

"We are making the call and WILL have a PowderDaize tomorrow where we open during a snow event predicting 12" of snow or more on a day we are typically not open and at discounted mid-week spring prices @$40. The snow will NOT be groomed (except for one green trail from the top) and will offer that powder experience of a western resort trip with out the airfare. Hope to see you in the POW @Plattekill tomorrow. Come make a few turns with us."
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Change in plans:

"Powder Daize" has been cancelled for today...sorry, no powder. We received 2-3" followed by sleet last night. Wrong side of the storm for us this time we guess.  We made the call to open too early.  The forecasts had it way wrong...  We are expecting more snow this week so hopefully we will truly have some fresh, powder snow for Friday's opening that we can accurately report.  Again, our apologies.  THINK SNOW!
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
No one had plattekill getting 12 inches in this storm, not even close.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
NWS had 8" and WSW's up last night. Plattekill went with a call (8-12) by this guy on the 11pm news:

"CBS6 Albany News Meterologist Steve Lapoint"

There was 3" in the valley at the time the crew hit the sack (11:15).

Spoke to Laz about this - with a 3 day a week operating schedule, people (lifties etc) have other jobs and you can't call them when you get up to plow (4am) and to come in.

I'm surprised at the outcome as we had mixed precip until 10pm here in the very flatlands.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I'm sure he wasn't happy about having to cancel the powder daize...after calling it on.  Hopefully, the Platty lake effect looks to be on all week.  I'll be there sat and sunday with the girls.

We got about 4-5" of heavy, wet snow by the Tappan Zee.  Made for great skiing in the local woods as it formed a solid base.  I had waxed the skis last night so that made for a great pre-work ski.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Plattekill
It's amazing out here.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Yup! Great day!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Great closing day today. Everything that was open had great cover. Block was a little adventuresome to get to. There will be plenty of snow next week if you would like to volunteer to maintain the bike or ski trails. Plenty of opportunities to pedal or ski for good Samaritans, from what i hear.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
It was a fun day ML.  The girls and I were psyched to get one more day in.   I Saw you out there, you were skiing with one other, yes??  I already miss the place.  :(.  It was a fantastic year.

My girls on the top of Northface looking over to the triple side:

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Great stuff Mark !! looks like you have some fine young skiers under your tutelage and made some great memories this year .

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.