Plattekill Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
88 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Mi Skier

Things are looking a little better this morning. This map is for Noon on Saturday, yesterday it was showing rain
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
After skiing my entire life, I've learned you can't outguess the weather.  Just go. You never know. Platty's got good vibes no matter if its rain, snow or shine!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Marcski wrote
After skiing my entire life, I've learned you can't outguess the weather.  Just go. You never know. Platty's got good vibes no matter if its rain, snow or shine!
Yes, this is the correct answer.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
Brownski wrote
Marcski wrote
Yes, this is the correct answer.
I am 100% in on going. Looking forward to meeting some of people from the NYskiblog
Reply | Threaded
|

olddogbmxer
I was also planning on going to meet up with some NYSB people - whatever the weather I will still be there.
Also West Kill Brewing has a tasting event scheduled there that afternoon, putting away some great craft beers at Platty worth the trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
olddogbmxer wrote
I was also planning on going to meet up with some NYSB people - whatever the weather I will still be there.
Also West Kill Brewing has a tasting event scheduled there that afternoon, putting away some great craft beers at Platty worth the trip.
Sweet!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
Maybe next year , have fun and Happy Birthday Harvey!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Just saw the email- Jan 10 (tomorrow) is a skier appreciation day. First 50 tickets are $25. Wish I could get there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Could be so much worse

Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Yesterday was the skiing version of going to the gym to work out: a warm overcast day with 3.5 lift-served routes down the hill. If you shopped your turns correctly, the boilerplate could be avoided and you could dig your edges into loose quasi corn. Better than staying home and great to put faces to names at the bar.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Great to see and ride with you James, been too long.

Plattekill looks to be dodging a huge bullet.  With 4 trails in play, and cover not very deep, it would have been very tough after another gully washer.

Basically not going to much if any rain this weekend.  Skiing could be good today if the sun comes out.

Scary wild when the devastating rainstorm misses you off to the north.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I saw on IG where they were closed today
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
I'm hitting Plattekill on Saturday for the first time ever.  Being that I grew up in Oneonta, it's a sin it took this long.  I may go on Sunday as well, depending on the forecast.

Any tips for a Magic refugee there?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

I'm thinking Sunday. Or maybe hoping is a better word.

Not a ton of advice needed until trees are in.  How much are we supposed to get?

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
It looks like the snowfall before Saturday night will be minimal but Thursday on looks like they’re getting good temps for snowmaking. I’d bet everything that’s open will be nice again by the weekend. Maybe (hopefully) the storm will arrive early and it’ll turn into an epic day. I would just plan on skiing under the guns on Saturday and look for a way to come back on Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
I guess I'll see what snow farming is all about on Saturday.  From being closed the previous Sunday to now, is tough to come back from.  Not sure I'll go on Sunday, if they get 6+ Saturday evening I'll consider it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
Plattekill is a great little mountain, I'd love to hit that place on a pow day. Their snow making apparatuse is top notch, hopefully Magic can have that some day.  I wish my school district had used them for ski club back in the day, although I have no idea what kind of shape they were in from the mid-80's through mid-90's.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Saratogahalfday wrote
Plattekill is a great little mountain, I'd love to hit that place on a pow day. Their snow making apparatuse is top notch, hopefully Magic can have that some day.  I wish my school district had used them for ski club back in the day, although I have no idea what kind of shape they were in from the mid-80's through mid-90's.
Anyone skiing tomorrow?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
Anyone skiing tomorrow?
There’s an idea. I was just thinking about where to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Come on out Bro.