14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill Mountain, NY: 1/6/13

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 12 for me was also Ski Day 12 for Plattekill. I posted on the blog, but here are the rest of my pics from the day.

Had the pleasure of meeting Catskill Freeheel, the director of snowsports. We skied a few laps...

MikeR was rarin' to go...

After some laps inbounds we headed into the woods..

It was a major THWACK.  Our skin along the ridge was difficult, but beautiful...

The descent was easier, but we didn't get much of an opportunity to link turns...

When we got back to the resort the joint was jumpin'... a capacity crowd...

We grabbed a snack in the lodge...

...and headed back out to make some more turns...

...late in the day we met up with the NYSB crew and some new friends in the bar..

After some beerz, a few of us headed out for last call on the mountain...

The place is really pretty...

I think I was the last to leave...

Awesome day.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill Mountain, NY: 1/6/13

skimore
Nice tree skiing at that place. Here's your brambly entrance with a bit more snow

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
I gotta get down there, looks like a great Birthday!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
LOL skimore that was what it looked like... in my dreams!

Chris... you should come down. Plenty of events coming up.  1/26 is Diamond Day. There maybe another Facebook Day TBD.  Or just come down.  Mgmt is just plain cool. And if we want to see this unique place survive, we gotta buy some lift tickets.  (You may have guessed that I am on a mission!)

Plus from a boarder's perspective, the place really doesn't have runouts.  Maybe just a little at the top.
Reply | Threaded
|

ashley.
Harvey44 wrote

Plus from a boarder's perspective, the place really doesn't have runouts.  Maybe just a little at the top.
Definitely! The fact that I have speed right to the lift tickles my fancy! Magic's red chair is set up so that a boarder has to come down and go around the house to get to the loading area, and I make it about 1/2way before having to unstrap. And there is no going above that area for a quick loop around because there isn't enough speed to stay high.

Love a mtn with great pitch to the chair.
Reply | Threaded
|

ashley.
And I'm usually borrowing a skier friends poles or get pulled to designated area, and the only time that happened at Platty was at the top =)
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Just got back from Plattekill. Great terrain! will write TR but I sliced the tip of a finger off trying to open a beer when I got home, so typing w one hand is a bit dfficult. Will post TR w a few pix when it stops bleeding
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Powderqueen wrote
Just got back from Plattekill. Great terrain!
+1000
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Powderqueen wrote
Just got back from Plattekill. Great terrain! will write TR but I sliced the tip of a finger off trying to open a beer when I got home, so typing w one hand is a bit dfficult. Will post TR w a few pix when it stops bleeding
We are going to have to restrict you to draught beer.  You should have stayed for some tap beers in Platty's lodge.  Hope you feel better...
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I wish I could buy beer at ski area lodges, but none carry gluten-free beer. I also have to bring my own food because it is very difficult to eat at ski lodges with gluten-intolerance. for most of my life, my afternoon of skiing usually included bloat and pain...thought it was the hot cocoa...but then figured out it was the gluten in bread, pizza, pretzel, bagel or whatever foods with gluten that was making me sick. i stopped eating lunch and only ate GF energy bar and found I was much more comfortable. It sux, but at least I figured out what was making me sick all the time. I feel so much better and have more energy in the afternoon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Powderqueen wrote
I wish I could buy beer at ski area lodges, but none carry gluten-free beer. I also have to bring my own food because it is very difficult to eat at ski lodges with gluten-intolerance. for most of my life, my afternoon of skiing usually included bloat and pain...thought it was the hot cocoa...but then figured out it was the gluten in bread, pizza, pretzel, bagel or whatever foods with gluten that was making me sick. i stopped eating lunch and only ate GF energy bar and found I was much more comfortable. It sux, but at least I figured out what was making me sick all the time. I feel so much better and have more energy in the afternoon.
Good for you! My good friend's daughter has celiac, so I'm quie familiar....
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
 if we want to see this unique place survive, we gotta buy some lift tickets.  (You may have guessed that I am on a mission!)
I am a total ski cheap-azz, looking for savings on everything.  But when I go to Plattekill I intentionally spend (I always eat lunch, and I drink some high-margin draft beers when the lifts close).
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
BenedictGomez wrote
I am a total ski cheap-azz, looking for savings on everything.  But when I go to Plattekill I intentionally spend (I always eat lunch, and I drink some high-margin draft beers when the lifts close).

Yea ask James about the crazy chit I was doin at P last weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

ashley.
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
BenedictGomez wrote
Harvey44 wrote
 if we want to see this unique place survive, we gotta buy some lift tickets.  (You may have guessed that I am on a mission!)
 But when I go to Plattekill I intentionally spend (I always eat lunch, and I drink some high-margin draft beers when the lifts close).
Ooohhmmmmyyylanta they had baked brie at the bar there. AND our liftopia lunch vouchers were accepted. I totally expected her to say only in the cafe, it would make sense. But noooo, please, use this $10 to get some darned bake brie. It was sooooo yummy and totally hit the spot. If I wasn't sold earlier in the day, that sealed the deal.

...when we came back on Sunday to talk to Harv we couldn't resist getting it again hahaha.