16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill Mtn, NY: 10/30/11

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
On Wednesday when Accuweather started to hype the storm, I started thinking about Plattekill.

I called ml242 on my walk home from work on Thursday, and asked him what he was doing on Sunday. He said "Skiing Plattekill." That was the "A" answer in my book and we agreed to meet.

I cut a deal with Zelda.  I trade all day "on duty" with Neve on Saturday, in exchange for the day off on Sunday.  It's not often that the whims of Mother Nature (or Old Man Winter) line up in such a way.  The plan was looking good.

But then, during the day on Saturday, the snow storm got in the way. Or I should say, the SLUDGE storm. Here in the downtown flatlands, the trees are still covered with leaves and branches started coming down. The lights were flickering and I cranked the heat (above my normally miserly levels) plugged in all the phones, and camera batteries and tried to convince Neve to come down with me into my ski shop, to help me cut my skins which I'd need in the morning. No way I wanted to try to do that for the first time, in the dark.

The lights went out at about 2:30pm.  I brought the skis upstairs to use natural light to finish the job. I think I done ok:

The sun went down before I was able to start sorting gear.  My only hope was for the power to return before my planned departure time of 5:00 am.  We ate by candle light, bundled up, and went to bed.

It's an odd sensation: being woken in the middle of the night by all the lights and the TV and heat all going on at ONCE, being scared $hitless and being TOTALLY pysched about it.  Zelda and I woke up wide eyed, at 2:40 am, and said YESS! She more because the heat was running, and me because my day at Plattekill was back on with the power.

I sorted my gear, took a shower and headed out before my planned time of 5 am.

On I-287 I got stuck behind an accident for nearly an hour.  The roads were pretty clear, but the bridges were black ice and somebody had spun out.

I called ml242 and told him I was going to be late.  Both ml and his buddy NJFreeSkier agree to wait for me and we all got up to Platty at 9:20.  We figured we might as well wait for the lift to start spinning at 10 - if we skinned, we'd probably get beaten to the goods.

Surprisingly, as usual, the place was deserted.  The three of us and Fujative, were the first skiers to ride the lift and nobody was behind us in line.  First tracks were everywhere.

First run on Plunge

If you look closely in every pic of Fuje, he's smiling.

ml242 is a ripper

Air Fuje - the money shot. (photo courtesy ML242)

Bonus Points: Gore Regulars travel south

Laz is upgrading his snowmaking pond

He's got some big toys

Under the Face Lift

NJFreeSkier

Today you needed your grass skis

After the Schralping
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill Mtn, NY: 10/30/11

riverc0il
Nicely done!!! That shot of Air Fuje is money, indeed!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Agreed.  Sick composition in that pic.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
So with the combination of sludge storm, power outage, traffic jam, 5am departure (after  posting at 2-something a.m.), a who-knows-how-many-hours-in-the-car drive to the Catskills and back, in order to ski in October...

...do we have a new definition of "hardcore" ?

And that's not even mentioning "the reveal."
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Adk Jeff wrote
...do we have a new definition of "hardcore" ?
I think we do!

'Cept now we can't call him " Hardcore Harv."  How disappointing. Harv lends itself to so much.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Harv, Laz, and two other guys

First Chair

Harv Tumblin'

There was some ice scraping

And because I haven't been bearless in almost two years..

I'd say that just about covers all the bases.

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Harvey
Nice pics! Man, I wish Plattekill was closer. It is so awesome that there are still guys like Laz running ski areas with such a passion for the activity. Looks like you guys had the area to yourselves, I hope Plattekill makes up the difference with the publicity and gets the ticket and pass sales for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Awesome reports and photos. I am really chompin at the bit. These reports make the wait for turns a little easier.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I was just thinking about Sunday.  How often do you get a blue sky powder day in the east? At any time during the year? And how often do you get to ski a completely empty mountain?  If this is any kind of preview for what's to come this year, 2011/2012 is going to be SICK.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
I was just thinking about Sunday.  How often do you get a blue sky powder day in the east? At any time during the year? And how often do you get to ski a completely empty mountain?  If this is any kind of preview for what's to come this year, 2011/2012 is going to be SICK.
Looking over these pictures I have to agree with that feeling.  Taking pics and posting is extra work for sure, but it etches the memories forever. What an incredible day.

Check out this Plattekill Ripper Chick.

And thanks for posting all your pics Fuje.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
All? pshh. that's not even 1/4.

No problem
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve C.
It was, indeed, a great day.  I have to throw these in, as, to this point, my sweetie and I are only represented in this thread by our backsides....

Pam...

et moi...

Fun, fun day.  Good to see you guys there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Very nice pictures. Been a long time since I visited Plattekill. It's a great place. Just got to get back there.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
How about a few more pictures to keep this thread going.

Fuje is LAID BACK!

Faceshots!!!:

NJFreeSkier:

Couldn't have asked for a better day:

Nothing like snowliage:

In other news, it looks like Plattekill will be hosting its first ever Community Work Day 11/20. Stay tuned for some really exciting details!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
In reply to this post by tBatt
Nicely done, I'm jealous!
Reply | Threaded
|

diamonddave
holy cow.  I can not believe they spun the lifts for you guys.  I love this place more every year.  Wish I could have been there.