18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill Telemark Junior Development Program

Harvey
Administrator
Plattekill 6-Week Telemark Junior Development Program

We're excited to announce that that Plattekill Mountain will be offering a 6-week Telemark Junior Development program this season, in addition to our very successful Alpine Junior Development 8-week program which we're looking grow as well.

Also, we're proud to announce that Matt Charles, PSIA Level III Telemark instructor, will be leading the program.

The all-day Telemark program will run (10:00-12:00 and 1:00-3:00) for 6-weeks on Saturdays, beginning in January (holidays excluded). The cost for the Telemark program is $300 for 6-weeks.

Please let us know if you have or know of any kids ages 7-17 that would be interested in participating in either of these programs.  

I hope you will support our effort in advancing more young people into freeheel equipment is essential to the future of Telemark skiing! We hope you will join us in our effort to free young heels!

Jeff Crane
Snowsports School Director, Plattekill Mountain
jeff@plattekill.com
917-915-7431
http://www.plattekill.com
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill Telemark Junior Development Program

frk
sorry harv but i can't help myself. will they be offering buggywhip classes too? nice idea but tele market is shrinking fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

CatskillsFreeheel
Haters gonna hate. Already got a few kids signed up. Why don't you try to be supportive instead?
Click on Catskills Freeheel to visit my blog!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Apparently a few kids are already signed up.

I think it's cool. Also like the idea of having MC at Plattekill.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
skiing was supposedly disappearing when mad river decided to kick out all the snowboarders. worked for them.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by CatskillsFreeheel
no hate involved. just my opinion of future of tele with gentle poking of fun. tele future has been discussed in the past. it will continue to have a shrinking niche market as AT gear now rules. can you dispute this trend? i'm just happy with new people entering the sport and keeping the current participants.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Lots of activities that are currently out of favor are worthwhile
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
As the father of an 11-year-old who has been dabbling with telemark the past two winters and 7-year-old who has already made it known that she wants to telemark as well, I wish this program was closer to home, say up at West or Gore or even Hickory (that'd be cool!).  If we were Cats skiers, we'd definitely be in.
Reply | Threaded
|

CatskillsFreeheel
In reply to this post by frk
Tele has nothing to fear from AT. It's not only about touring - it's about the turn. It will always be a niche, but it's not going to disappear, especially if we can get some kids out of their training heels.
Reply | Threaded
|

CatskillsFreeheel
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
C'mon down for 3 Saturdays Adk Jeff and let your kids ski with Matt! You can do a half-program.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
CatskillsFreeheel wrote
C'mon down for 3 Saturdays Adk Jeff and let your kids ski with Matt! You can do a half-program.
This would be a great experience. You guys will love the place.  2+ hours I guess? Maybe stay over one time, get points with the Mrs.

What is the first week?
Reply | Threaded
|

CatskillsFreeheel
Jan 9, first week.  Runs for 6 consecutive weeks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Tele is not dead:  Scott adding tech inserts to their NTN boots

Jeff, come on down to Platty....I'll give you a personal tour and show you the lay of the land.  My little one will most likely be doing the tele program, although, there is a bit of a time conflict with the racing program that we need to sort out.  BTW, it's my little one in the photo for the program.  

Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
As the father of an 11-year-old who has been dabbling with telemark the past two winters and 7-year-old who has already made it known that she wants to telemark as well, I wish this program was closer to home, say up at West or Gore or even Hickory (that'd be cool!).  If we were Cats skiers, we'd definitely be in.
Jeff, from what I understand, Gore is going to offer a telemark program for kids in the season-long Mountain Adventure program this year. My son and one other child have already committed to it. They are both 14 years old and strong alpine skiers, but if your 11-year old is a good skier, he may fit in just fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Tele skiing reached it's peak maybe around 15 years ago or so and now there isn't much of a market but these things tend to cycle around. Now that it's less mainstream than 15 years ago maybe it will be the next "it thing". Kind of like snowboarding in the late 80's, in a way it's sort of punk rock, not like hot topics punk rock but like real deal punk rock. What the heck am I saying? I guess I think we will see a resurgence at some point. I kind of like the purity of it and it's impressive when someone is really good at it. Looks a little rough on the knees but I'm getting older and concerned about the milage on me carcass.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Thanks for the info guys.  I'll certainly consider trying to work in the 3 weeks, and thanks for the heads-up on the Gore program, 'Dexter, I didn't know about that but will look into it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I know these are a bit old....but the message still rings very true:

Earn your Turns article

"Without overstating the cliché reason tele ain’t dead, and why it won’t die, is the hook the turn puts in an outdoor heart for the sweeping sensation of the telemark turn. It can’t be adequately described in words, like how a kiss can be mingled with a little bit of magic, transforming it beyond the physical sensation of skin on skin. Some call it metaphysical. For the moment, may I suggest you consider it in simpler, quantitative terms.

In skiing there is a sweet spot in the middle of a turn, that moment when shussing through snow fairly hums with energy. Having done all three, alpine, snowboard, and telemark skiing, I can tell you that alpine turns have the shortest sweet spot, but the energy is high. Snowboard turns that rev the excitement meter are typically long. But with telemark, you can adjust that sweet spot, not only in terms of length, but also in terms of depth. Admittedly not when you’re learning, but once you figure it out, and get it, and practice it, especially in deep powder – whoa – that’s a feeling you’ll want to experience repeatedly and in a perfect world, regularly."

Powder Mag Article:

"Today’s practitioners are usually quiet and unassuming, just like their ancestors. The men are hairy and strong, while the women have pigtails and round firm asses. Their equipment gives them away, and it’s temping to feel sorry for them, as if they didn’t get the memo. Then you see them explode down the hill with the mastery and grace of a ninja, and the truth comes out: They really don’t care what you think."
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Marcski wrote
I know these are a bit old....but the message still rings very true: