classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill

campgottagopee
Jamesdeluxe wrote
The reason that Plattekill doesn't get more people (and able to run 7/7) is that for most people it's an extra 20-25 minutes beyond Belleayre and I'd guess the same past Hunter. If you're not determined to ski at Plattekill, it's easier to bail out at the other two areas.

Less people = good for us, bad for the bottom line
Ya think??? I didn't take it that way at all.

I was real bummed to find out Platty wasn't open during the week. I get it, and wish my biz was only open those days too, it's a great biz model if you can get away with it. Obvi it works for Platty and their skiers, I've never read a bad word about them---never. I don't think anyone was trying to knock the place
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I think another reason Plattekill doesn't attract weekend warriors from NYC, besides ignorance, is that there is almost nowhere to stay near the mountain. I only stayed overnight once, my first visit, it was season passholder weekend, and I was unaware of it. I missed out on free skiing Saturday, but stayed overnight to take advantage of Sunday's free pass. I was steered to the T Bar near the hill for lodging, I didn't stay there. I guess they have a few rooms above the bar. They don't even mention lodging on their website. I ended up staying in Margaretville. The people I've chatted up from NYC at Platty seem to all have second homes in the area.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
The NFL is only open for customer enjoyment on Sundays and Mondays, what a crappy business.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
I think another reason Plattekill doesn't attract weekend warriors from NYC, besides ignorance, is that there is almost nowhere to stay near the mountain. I only stayed overnight once, my first visit, it was season passholder weekend, and I was unaware of it. I missed out on free skiing Saturday, but stayed overnight to take advantage of Sunday's free pass. I was steered to the T Bar near the hill for lodging, I didn't stay there. I guess they have a few rooms above the bar. They don't even mention lodging on their website. I ended up staying in Margaretville. The people I've chatted up from NYC at Platty seem to all have second homes in the area.
This certainly doesnt help, but I'll persevere to get to Platty.  

I essentially make it happen, but admit it means an absolutely BRUTAL wakeup time given the 2h 45 minute (flying) drive time and a total of 5.5 hours of driving for a single ski day.

I'd like to know if anyone has any feedback on staying at that TBar place.  I too found it odd that supposed it's a motel/inn, yet they dont even list the rooms or pricing on the website.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
BenedictGomez wrote
The NFL is only open for customer enjoyment on Sundays and Mondays, what a crappy business.
Take it back---- they play thursday too
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
BenedictGomez wrote
This certainly doesnt help, but I'll persevere to get to Platty.  

I essentially make it happen, but admit it means an absolutely BRUTAL wakeup time given the 2h 45 minute (flying) drive time and a total of 5.5 hours of driving for a single ski day.

I'd like to know if anyone has any feedback on staying at that TBar place.  I too found it odd that supposed it's a motel/inn, yet they dont even list the rooms or pricing on the website.
I'd use as a last resort
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by Cornhead
It seems Plattekill is the same drive time for me as Gore. So there is no excuse (except the season pass I have at Gore).
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Platty Rocks.  It's like skiing was when I first started as a kid 40+ years ago.  Once you pass Belleayre, there is basically nothing but farms. But once you get to Plattekill, the lodge is warm and inviting...it feels like you're going home.  (it is my home hill, but still).  You can always find a table and a chair in the lodge.  There are no liftlines.  You are alone on the trails probably more than at any other hill I've skied...midweek or weekend.  The runs are steep and continuous for the entire vertical.  As others have stated, they don't really make that much snow.  So, after a thaw like we just had, there will only really be 5 distinct ways top to bottom down the hill.  That is the extent of the snowmaking. They have 3 runs on the triple side (Powder Puff, Face and the S) and then Blockbuster in the middle and Northface on the double side.  

However, since they are not open during the week and even when they are open, they groom so infrequently, even on a holiday weekend, those 5 distinct ways down won't really get skied off.  Moreover, IMHO, I'd much rather ski on natural snow terrain...(with perhaps an occasional natural obstacle) than on man-made boilerplate on a crowded hill that gets skied off by 10 a.m on a weekend.  You can really feel the difference between man-made snow and natural snow at a place like Platty because there just isn't that much man-made snow.  

To answer your question, as Harvey said, a lot of "normal" (as opposed to the abnormals like us) aren't looking for that.  They want to be able to say they are at the mountain with the most terrain open and the most powerful snowmaking system.  Also, they want a mountain with "amenities" such as restaurants, lodges, hotels and bars etc. (For me...I go away to the mountains to be outdoors and get away from people..but as I said above, I'm part of the abnormals!).  Platty doesn't have any of that.  So, it's not economically viable for them to open during the week. They just won't and don't get the skier visits.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I knew someone would call me on that.

Platty is open on Thursdays too (if they get enough snow)
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
I'd use as a last resort
That bad?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
reminds me of this woody allen bit... NOT SAFE FOR WORK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A-A4g3WbZo

I've never had the wrong kind of powder day, either.