Plattekill

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill

Highpeaksdrifter
I’ve never been to Plattekill, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the place. That’s great. However, I’ve always wondered why they are only open Fri. – Sun. and holidays when everybody is always falling all over themselves singing their praises. Why can’t they stay open like the other Catskill ski areas or pretty much any ski area anywhere? With everything they have going for them and their legions of fans you’d think they’d be open 7 days a week making money. I don’t get it….school me.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill

campgottagopee
Really??? They're only open on the weekends?!?!?!? Very strange....guess I wont be able to hit them up then
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
They open during the week on dumps.....powderdaize

thats all that counts anyways
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
A few great mountains in addition to Plattekill close mid-week. Magic Mountain in Vermont and Mount Abram in Maine are two examples.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
 why they are only open Fri. – Sun. and holidays when everybody is always falling all over themselves singing their praises. Why can’t they stay open like the other Catskill ski areas or pretty much any ski area anywhere?
Did you start Happy Hour at 2 pm?
Reply | Threaded
|

ashley.
Places like Platty and Magic have limited funding...they don't have epic snowmaking (au naturale, mostly), few snowcats for grooming, can't afford full time staff, old lifts (some, hand me downs), etc. This is why these places are mostly community run/survived. They open on pow days, because these mtns are also known for the epic powfun. These places aren't for your groomers. You have Belleayre, Hunter, Okemo, Killy if you must...for that. These are little hidden gems that pack a punch when the snow falls. They don't need to open midweek. I promise, hit one of them on a pow day and you'll understand the high praise.

Read this blog, you'll understand -- http://clifhirtle.tumblr.com/post/39998628600/neskilesstraveled
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I’ve never been to Plattekill, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the place. That’s great. However, I’ve always wondered why they are only open Fri. – Sun. and holidays when everybody is always falling all over themselves singing their praises. Why can’t they stay open like the other Catskill ski areas or pretty much any ski area anywhere? With everything they have going for them and their legions of fans you’d think they’d be open 7 days a week making money. I don’t get it….school me.
I think you know the answer, but I will offer a couple of reasons why they are not open midweek.

It is a business and object is to make money. This model works for a place that has zero local population and is far from population centers to support opening midweek. They do not have to spend $$ to run the place midweek to maintain the conditions and run lifts for only a handful of customers. It is just a smart business decision.

Most ski areas do not run all lifts midweek including the other 3 in the Catskills, Gore and WF and most of the ski areas in VT. Do you have any questions about that?

Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
x10003q wrote

I think you know the answer, but I will offer a couple of reasons why they are not open midweek.

It is a business and object is to make money. This model works for a place that has zero local population and is far from population centers to support opening midweek. They do not have to spend $$ to run the place midweek to maintain the conditions and run lifts for only a handful of customers. It is just a smart business decision.

x10003q wrote
Most ski areas do not run all lifts midweek including the other 3 in the Catskills, Gore and WF and most of the ski areas in VT. Do you have any questions about that?
No, I don't have any questions about that....but, my original question seems to offend you and others. Why do you think that is?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by ashley.
ashley. wrote
Places like Platty and Magic have limited funding...they don't have epic snowmaking (au naturale, mostly), few snowcats for grooming, can't afford full time staff, old lifts (some, hand me downs), etc. This is why these places are mostly community run/survived. They open on pow days, because these mtns are also known for the epic powfun. These places aren't for your groomers. You have Belleayre, Hunter, Okemo, Killy if you must...for that. These are little hidden gems that pack a punch when the snow falls. They don't need to open midweek. I promise, hit one of them on a pow day and you'll understand the high praise.

Read this blog, you'll understand -- http://clifhirtle.tumblr.com/post/39998628600/neskilesstraveled
Who said anything about groomers? I just want to know why a place that is so popular with so many can't make money during the week? I think its a fair question and I thought someone might be able to answer it.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
 why they are only open Fri. – Sun. and holidays when everybody is always falling all over themselves singing their praises. Why can’t they stay open like the other Catskill ski areas or pretty much any ski area anywhere?
Did you start Happy Hour at 2 pm?
I guess you don't like my question and need to try to insult me by suggesting I'm drunk.

I didn't start till 3:00 BTW
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
They open during the week on dumps.....powderdaize

thats all that counts anyways
If powder days were all that counted there wouldn't be many ski areas open at all in the Northeast. I respect that they may be all that counts for you, but a great deal of the skiing public has a difficult time skiing powder.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Plattekill does seem well loved by the members of this forum who've made it there.  For me at least, it's about steep terrain, natural snow, uncrowded slopes, a really cool rustic lodge, beautiful views and incredibly cool management.  (How often do

I wouldn't be surprised if others here are attracted by the some of those same attributes.

But we — the hardcore — are a small minority of the skiing public.  A ski area can't live on the passholders and voucher buying 30-100 day-a-year skiers. Even on Saturday's and Holidays, when the parking lot is filled to capacity, Plattekill lifts are ski on.

Opening only on days when you have a chance to break even is a survival strategy for P. Personally, I'd rather have Plattekill survive with a 60+ day season than go down trying to be open for 100.

I don't have a ton of experience with different ski areas, but to me Plattekill and Hickory are really unique experiences.

HPD ... I know it's a long shot for you to drive south to ski... but if you do it once, I really think it's an experience you'd like.  Hope you get the chance.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Highpeaksdrifter wrote

x10003q wrote
No, I don't have any questions about that....but, my original question seems to offend you and others. Why do you think that is?
If you do not have questions about why many Eastern lifts do not spin midweek we could assume that you understand why Plattekill does not run midweek.

I am not offended. You are just being disingenuous.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
 I just want to know why a place that is so popular with so many can't make money during the week?
The unemployment rate just isn't quite high enough yet.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
A few great mountains in addition to Plattekill close mid-week. Magic Mountain in Vermont and Mount Abram in Maine are two examples.
Didn't know that either. I have no interest in going to Magic or Mount Abram so that doesn't matter to me. Was gonna try and hit Platty (simply because of what I've read on here) later next month but not being open during the week makes it too difficult for me to get there. No biggie.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ashley.
ashley. wrote
  They open on pow days, because these mtns are also known for the epic powfun.  
have you ever had a bad POW day at any area???? i know i haven't
Reply | Threaded
|

ashley.
Highpeaksdrifter wrote

Who said anything about groomers? I just want to know why a place that is so popular with so many can't make money during the week? I think its a fair question and I thought someone might be able to answer it.

I thought I did. If it doesn't snow, what do you have to ski on? Groomers. Groomers need to be groomed, especially when people are skiing on them. It costs money to run a groomer. And if its not snowing, they need to blow snow for you to ski on. Which also costs money.

The simple answer is that it will cost them more money to run the mountain during the week than it would be pulling in. The map you posted may say 45 minutes from Oneonta, but if you think that's going to pull in a crowd that is worth keeping the mountain open, you're wrong. Plattekill is also surrounded by Hunter, Belleayre & Windham, those are your resorts and if that's what you're looking for then you will head there. Platty is a small quaint mtn, known for being a small quaint mtn, and people go there to escape the crowds, enjoy the serenity, and attack the powpow. They open midweek when its warranted, when epic amounts of the white stuff falls. Otherwise, its not worth it.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
There are some ski areas out here in Montana that are closed M-W. The good thing is Thursdays are sometimes great Powder days, especially if it has snowed for a couple days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
The reason that Plattekill doesn't get more people (and able to run 7/7) is that for most people it's an extra 20-25 minutes beyond Belleayre and I'd guess the same past Hunter. If you're not determined to ski at Plattekill, it's easier to bail out at the other two areas.

Less people = good for us, bad for the bottom line