39 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Please suggest a future topic for Coach Z

Z
This post was updated on .
I have a couple more instructional blog posts in the works.  A bump focus and a carving focus.  Please chime in here with your suggestion on a topic that you would like me to cover in an upcoming Coach Z blog post.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: please suggest a future topic for Coach Z

warp daddy
Coach:  Not a joke here at all BUT given the nature of THIS year sometimes we are faced with a myriad of conditions ON THE SAME RUN that require perhaps even counter-intuitive changes

Particularly when skiing in unfamiliar terrain -- transitions from skiing steeps  that can morph from decent conditions( Edgeable hardpack) to suddenly  dealing with boilerplate ,  silver glinting ice , and of course given the mountains BEST effort to give us reasonable "product"  the inevitability of death cookies , chicken heads and other assorted surprises .!

Maybe this is bogus but i'd imagine some folks may find the info helpful--
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
exactly what I was going to suggest, warp dad..variable conditions! I tend to avoid steeps towards the end of the day because it can go from edgeable hardpack to boiler plate in a second and i hate losing control...
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'd like to hear your take on skiing gates.

I'm not a racer but I ski with some guys who are Xracers. Our last run every sunday is thru our NASTAR (strictly for braging rights) and I'd like to be able to brag a bit more

My biggest issue is being late into the gate. I seem to always get off to a good start and manage to get thru the first half of the course in good fashion. Then it happens.....I get late, in the back seat, and lose time & bragging rights.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
actually skiing gates would be one thing that jim and wrapdaddy could do to improve their variable snow skiing.  Looking ahead in the course and staying in balance and turning on the ice in the course is really great for your skiing.

I'm really sorry that Orda has dropped Nastar since it is such a great learning tool.  I've been hearing some things that maybe it will return next season under Nysef's banner.

My upcoming carving piece will help Camp in the gates as well as staying high and turning early.  I'll see what i can come up with in more depth for these topics.  

Any one else?  please add to the topics list.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I'd love to hear about stretching or conditioning. My hamstrings and quads are in rough shape this winter, and nothing is helping. It really isn't effecting my skiing yet, just my biking, driving, walking, etc. But skiing might be next!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
ML that is a really good idea.  I think this would be a good forum topic so others could add to it so I will work on a post tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
years and years of intense leg exercise without stretching can lead to " chronic " muscle tension, so to speak. Takes alot of focus, effort and time to stretch them back to loose. One may have to cease the exercise. Accupunture may also help, beware of charlatans.

Lack of calcium makes muscles crampy/tight. Anyone with night leg cramps should suck a teet, cow's that is. Calcium pills would be mandatory.

Z - I would like to know how to better control speed on the steeps. Any thoughts ?
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
Another vote for skiing in variable conditions, and especially ice!  

I can't tell if there's a way to easily search the blog to find your older topics, but if you haven't done one on glade skiing, I'd be really interested in reading something about techniques for that, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nothing on glades at this point.

snowmonkey wrote
I can't tell if there's a way to easily search the blog to find your older topics...
This will be the link to all Coach's posts on the blog:

http://www.nyskiblog.com/search/label/CoachZ
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Snowballs - bumps will be the next up

Glades - wow I'd love to have glades for us all to ski and do a piece on - pray to the snow gods.  That would be a good topic for spring since that is usually when we get to spend the most time in the glades - look for that in March
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
First, thanks for the suggestions/lessons. I did try working on linking short turns a week ago.

I would like suggestions for steeper terrain. I find it increasingly difficult to keep weight on the shin of my downhill boot when it is steep. This is particularly difficult on a traverse when the downhill leg has quite a bit more distance to cover. I consider myself an advanced intermediate, so I don't like to bomb down the gore blacks. On the blues I can keep my skis pointed downhill, so my legs are about the same "length" and I don't have the same problem.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
This will be the link to all Coach's posts on the blog:

http://www.nyskiblog.com/search/label/CoachZ
Nice, thank you for that!
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
Never have skinned have everything ready to try for the first time any advice!  At some mtns it seems fine others not?  
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
fahz wrote
Never have skinned have everything ready to try for the first time any advice!  At some mtns it seems fine others not?
sorry i don't have any experience with that.  Are you talking about skining up open trails?  Not sure that is such a good idea from a safety perspective.  I'd suggest the back country or Mt VanHovenburg for that.

Last season Whiteface held an event after the lifts closed with Dynafit where you skinned up to mid and then there was some type of social event.  Check with the Mountaineer in Keene about this or other events for AT.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Guys

I have a couple pieces ready to go once we get some snow.  A early season drill to get everything moving and a carving focus for early December.

What else would you guys like to see me cover this season?  I certainly hope I can do a powder piece this year.

Ski well my Friends
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I'd love an instructional blog on how to score some snow bunnies!  Making magic w/ the ski MILFs!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Bumps.    Trees are fine, short turns are fine,  fast tight turns are fine, tight turns are steeps are fine,  but the bumps.....what's the secret
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
I'd love an instructional blog on how to score some snow bunnies!  Making magic w/ the ski MILFs!  

you need a different Coach for that one SJ.  I've been married for 21 years
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
might want to consult the beautiful wife first on that clinic
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.