Post your pictures of Any Ski Mountain Views

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
107 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Post your pictures of Any Ski Mountain Views

x10003q
Skimore - Thanks for all those great shots.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier

Portillo - classic view of hotel and Northern section of mt

Portillo - view of "the lake run" have to skate back across the lake to get back to the hotel

The Roca Jack - most famous run at Portillo and craziest surface lift in the world to get up it

Grand Targhee
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Whiteface, from the top of Lincoln Peak (Sugarbush, VT), yesterday 3/15/2012.  Must be something like 40 (?) miles away as the crow flies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Marcy, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback and Gothics from Gore, 3/17/2012:
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q

Sugarbush
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
This post was updated on .

Yesterday the Dirtbag King and Queen took some of the Royal Subjects on a shack tour of Big Sky. The photo was taken in the afternoon after an on-mountain BBQ with cocktails. The kingdom is Happy. That's the King with the orange and blue with beer held high with his arm around the Queen. He is one bad ass skier... the best by all standards, that we have had here in many years. And the Queen doesn't scare easy with a pipe in her hand. The kid in the rasta boots is the youngest so we made him go buy more whiskey. The " Duke " is holding the ski pole. He is a three time winner of the " Chug -n - eeze ." It is a Chinese Downhill from the peak with mandatory beer stops on the way to the base. Includes a 6 mile skate, with shots. Winner gets a month of free drinking at the bar.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I like how you guys roll
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Big Sky is a very cool place!

Long live the King!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
  Damn look at all that snow!  The blossoms are blooming in western NY already  Big Sky is on my bucket list...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
sorry off topic..

if you really want to see snow , go to Mt Baker's site..They have a 300" base..
The Pac NW rules..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I'll repost this here but I know I found this either on one of the threads or facebook...Mt Baker is the most incredible "small mountain" I have ever skied.  Trail skiing is about the size of Huntah but the off- piste is
http://grantgunderson.com/blog/  They set the record for most snow in a season I believe it was 98-99 and they got 1140"

P.S. Current base depths
Base at Heather Meadows:
251 inches

Base at Pan Dome:
302 inches

Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl

This is a view of Lone Peak ( Big Sky ) taken from the ridge at the Yellowstone Club on Monday, 4/2/12. We had 13" of fresh that day. Note how steep the entrances to some of the chutes are at the Y/C on the left side of the photo. It's not just a place for rich old men skiing groomers, although you'll have that.
On Lone Peak, the bowls on looker's left are out of bounds but not illegal. There are gates that let you leave ski area property and return at the bottom in time to get on a chair. Backcountry skiing without hiking. The trees in the lower center are called the Bavarian Forrest and the trees to the right of that are the Shedhorn area. If you were standing on the peak, the bowls to your left are called Lenin and Marx. When the WF crew ( scotty, tjf ) were here last year we skied down Lenin faster than anyone in History. About 1500 verticle feet, at 50 degrees, in three turns... letting them run.
It's snowing today, hard, with a few inches last night. The weather service is saying we could get up to 26" by Friday night. The wife used her connections to get us back into the club for tomorrow. I will have to get up early to plow snow and get to the mountain. If my boss gives me shit or tries to slow me down I'm gonna quit.
I hope people don't think that I'm being a troll on your site. I know you folks just went thru a tough season. Maybe some Western stoke will help... maybe not. I think Scotty and TJF know I'm trying to help.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Excellent shot with a great mini trip report. Keep it coming. The more the better.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by lolkl
We always like seeing that stuff.  Out of all the places I have been when people ask which mountain are you most likely to return to, the answer without thinking is Big Sky.  That said there are a few more to check off the list until my return.  

If you head back east this year don't do the sneak in and out again.   We have parties that rival the D-bags.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
26 by Friday!!!!  Beam me there Scotty!!!!

Love the BigSky stoke Lolkl!  We will be back!  It's def my fav western spot so far!  I feel very comfortable skiing w/ dirtbags.  

Glad you guys are still getting snow!  Rip one for us - both on slope and shackside!    
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
I understand about checking some more areas off the list. Life is short. The life span of your knees and back is even shorter. I can only speak of places I have been.
Whistler/Blackcombe: Awesome. Lots of terrain with some truly sick shit available. The place is well designed for ski vacations and caters to every and any needs. And good weed.
Red Mountain/Nelson: Like going to Mad River. In all the good ways. Really steep inbounds skiing next to people wearing flannel. The whole Nelson area is very cool and friendly. And good weed.
Castle Mountain: Not far from Fernie. I thought Fernie was like skiing killington. It was too big and mostly intermediate. Although I hear that it has some good skiing. We were not there long enough. But Castle... my favorite. People wearing jeans. Thirty of them plus you. I believe it has about 3200' verticle of very steep skiing in every direction. The trail layout is great. They don't intersect. Check out their website. It is not going to be cheap to fly to but the money you will save on lift tickets and lodging might make up for much of it. ( If it is cheap to fly to it will have too many people ) And we scored a bag of weed within 15 minutes at the bar.
Crystal: The elevation is too low. It gets warm there and I didn't like the coastal snow. The terrain is pretty good and with good conditions it can rock. But good conditions are never a guarantee there. ( Or anywhere !)
SLC, JH, Tahoe... meh. I lived at Heavenly for one year ( '82 - '83 ). Good place to vacation, not a good place to be a ski bum.
Go somewhere exotic. There are a lot of places out West that are not in Ski magazine. And some of them really rock. Let me know and I'll meet ya.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q

Sugarbush 5/5/1996
I spent the day on Stein's Run. Unforgettable.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
lolkl wrote
I understand about checking some more areas off the list. Life is short.

Red Mountain/Nelson: Like going to Mad River. In all the good ways. Really steep inbounds skiing next to people wearing flannel. The whole Nelson area is very cool and friendly. And good weed.
Red Mtn was phat! Rosland/Nelson sweet.

lolkl wrote
I thought Fernie was like skiing killington - mostly intermediate.
HA!  Blue Light special - got your gaper on?

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
lolkl wrote
Base of Red Mtn - Jan 2008

Rossland seemed very cool - Lake Placid like but a couple blocks instead of one....

Rossland, BC

Humme Hotel in Nelson:

Humme Hotel

Hotel Bar:

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Retallack

Highest  Peak:  Reco Peak