classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Powder Alliance

nepa
Powder Alliance

For the past 2 years I purchased a Mountain Collective pass.  This year, Mission Ridge joined the Powder Alliance

It's an interesting group of Mountains.  I wouldn't describe any of these as destination areas.   Most have limited amenities, liberal parking lot policies, basically dirt-bag magnets that are great for multi-day road trips.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powder Alliance

marznc
This post was updated on .
Been following the Powder Alliance since it started in 2013.  Keep thinking about whether I could justify enough days at Bridger to get a pass there.  A ski safari that starts by flying to Boise and skiing Bogus Basin on the way to Bachelor is another idea.

Mission Ridge, WA - NEW 2019-20
White Pass, WA - NEW 2019-20
*Timberline, OR
*Mt Hood Ski Bowl, OR
*Bogus Basin, ID
*Schweitzer, ID
*Bridger Bowl, MT - non-profit

* on the original list in 2013

EDIT: took out Stevens Pass, which has gone Epic after purchase by VR
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by nepa
That’s an interesting list. I admit I don’t recognize some of those but there are a bunch I would like to ski if I had the time to do a western tour
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
nepa wrote
limited amenities, liberal parking lot policies, basically dirt-bag magnets
My kind of place.

nepa, I am extra interested in getting some Mission Ridge TRs in the forum this season.  If interested, could you PM me?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
nepa wrote
limited amenities, liberal parking lot policies, basically dirt-bag magnets
My kind of place.

Rt on -- me too
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
A ski safari that start by flying to Boise and skiing Bogus Basin on the way to Bachelor is another idea.

My wife and I have sketched a couple of different routes depending on snow coverage.  The primary targets for the season are Bridger, Marmot, and Castle.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
nepa wrote
marznc wrote
A ski safari that start by flying to Boise and skiing Bogus Basin on the way to Bachelor is another idea.

My wife and I have sketched a couple of different routes depending on snow coverage.  The primary targets for the season are Bridger, Marmot, and Castle.
My ski buddy and I lucked out for the three days at Bridger before a week at Big Sky last Feb.  I won't go to Big Sky without skiing Bridger.  But hadn't skied it in deep powder before.  Great fun but more crowded midweek than we expected.  Turns out the Bozeman schools and employers are "powder friendly."  So quite a few families with kids who have obviously been skiing powder since they were preschoolers.  Plenty of seniors over on the green/blue trails enjoying 6+ inches of fresh snow on top of a previously groomed surface.

Have you been to Discovery?  We ended up going to Targhee instead to catch a snowstorm but were thinking of making the trek to Discovery before going to Bozeman from SLC.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
marznc wrote
Have you been to Discovery?  We ended up going to Targhee instead to catch a snowstorm but were thinking of making the trek to Discovery before going to Bozeman from SLC.
Haven't been to discovery yet, but it looks pretty awesome. The only spots I've skied in MT are Whitefish and Lookout.  

We'll probably try to hit Snowbowl on our way over to Bridger.  We're also considering a stop at Lost Trail.  Discovery fits perfectly into this type of plan. We lean more towards the smaller, community oriented areas.  
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
That’s an interesting list. I admit I don’t recognize some of those but there are a bunch I would like to ski if I had the time to do a western tour
What I didn't realize until recently is how big Bogus Basin is and the fact that it's always been a non-profit.  Even more organized than Bridger, the other big, successful non-profit out west.  Bridger has 2000 acres and has updated several lifts in recent years.

Apparently the GM who turned things around for Bogus moved from Diamond Peak.  Lack of snowmaking had meant not getting open for the Christmas holidays for a few low snow seasons.  That's never good for the bottom line.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/recreation/article46381770.html

Bogus stats from their website:

2,600 acres for day skiing
165 acres for night skiing
37K groomed Nordic trails

3 Detachable High-Speed Quads
1 triple chair
3 double chairs
4 conveyor lifts
Lift capacity – 9,980 riders/hour
Vertical transport feet: 10,383
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
Do not miss Discovery,repeat DO NOT MISS DISCOVERY.    High or low tide , its just a super fun place.   Nepa  , maybe we can ski WF or Castle sometime?
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
2000yearoldskier wrote
Nepa  , maybe we can ski WF or Castle sometime?

Yup.  For Sure!  Then tentative plan is for the last 2 weeks in Feb.