Powder Day April 12-13?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Powder Day April 12-13?

sudsnbumps
Maybe powder daize (perhaps Platte?)...Friday Storm Day  Saturday Pow!  I am working in Lake Placid Friday
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powder Day April 12-13?

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
What say you weather peeps?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I guess I was a little ambitious last night...looks to be mostly ice in NY with a few inches of snow in the central and northern Greens
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Mount Washington = Snow?

That's what I'm focused on
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Gore just announced that they will be closed tomorrow and open only sat and sun. Next is still up in the air according to Em.
Kinda funny since it has been snowing on and off all day here...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
as outlaw would say, gored again
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Mount Washington = Snow?

That's what I'm focused on
You planning this weekend? I was looking at Sat, been tracking the forecast and Avi conditions for quite awhile. I am thinking that although there may be new snow up there, the snow pack won't be stable. I am not quite so sure as of today.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Nah, I wait till after lifts close for Washington... And I try not to mess with too much new snow (they're saying they might get over a foot above 4000 feet) because of avi danger.

Did everyone read the thing they wrote on Moderate avi danger? It was a good read:

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/2013/04/07/moderate-danger-and-avalanche-accidents-respect-and-awe/
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
mattchuck2 wrote
Nah, I wait till after lifts close for Washington... And I try not to mess with too much new snow (they're saying they might get over a foot above 4000 feet) because of avi danger.

Did everyone read the thing they wrote on Moderate avi danger? It was a good read:

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/2013/04/07/moderate-danger-and-avalanche-accidents-respect-and-awe/
Last night my party decided to wait two weeks. I read the article a few days ago. It looks as if just like closed ropes, avalanche warnings are just suggestions...

We had made a group decision not to travel into areas where the forecast is above low.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Totally pissing in the foothills. Any update on the weather at the mountain?
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
about an inch of sleet so far and still coming down hard here. We had freezing rain last night which slicked things up nicely this morning. It rained till about and 11:00-11:30 and then changed to sleet. Roads are atrocious at best.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
What a year!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
ooh I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra distance...I left Elizabethtown at 2pm today in a full on snow storm.  It was sleeting most of the day and hard...so I bailed on heading to WF...I could have gotten there a bit after 2pm and regretted not going (yes my skis and equipment ride with me while working).  Now that Shaman said they got sh_t at Gore I am thinking WF tomorrow...anyone ski there today?  I know the winds were howling at elevation...This weekend could be the end for me this year and I want it to be a good one...

Summer Sucks!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
mattchuck2 wrote

Last night my party decided to wait two weeks. I read the article a few days ago. It looks as if just like closed ropes, avalanche warnings are just suggestions...

We had made a group decision not to travel into areas where the forecast is above low.
looks like you may have made the right call dan:
http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/

i guess i'm still heading up - for me its now or never for the year. we'll assess the situation sunday/monday mornings and go from there. ive had worse plan b's than ski the sherbie, check out the cog, or hit cannon or wildcat if it doesn't work out...
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
gorgonzola wrote

looks like you may have made the right call dan:
http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/
IMHO if you aren't traveling with a group all of which have Avi gear and the knowledge of how to use it then traveling in avi prone areas when the risk is higher than low is playing Russian roulette. I had a great time last Saturday when I hiked/skied Bennies and can't wait to try more. Tucks has been on the list for a long time but we have so many good slides in the Daks I question the need to go all the way to New Hampster - but it is a right of passage. Hotel reservations have been moved and schedules cleared for the 27th.

Don't be afraid to go for plan B and be safe.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I don't think you have to shake your finger and tut tut, here... He seems to know what he's doing... The sherbey trail is perfectly fine, and there's plenty of stuff to do if there's avi danger up high
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan

mattchuck2 wrote
I don't think you have to shake your finger and tut tut, here... He seems to know what he's doing... The sherbey trail is perfectly fine, and there's plenty of stuff to do if there's avi danger up high
Read carefully what was said, don't read into it.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
DackerDan wrote
Yeah, I see you (who apparently has never skied Mt. Washington), saying this:

IMHO if you aren't traveling with a group all of which have Avi gear and the knowledge of how to use it then traveling in avi prone areas when the risk is higher than low is playing Russian roulette
And this:

Don't be afraid to go for plan B and be safe
To someone who seems to know a pretty good amount about the area (unless he's just name dropping stuff he read on the internet). Doesn't matter anyway, looks like a crusty weekend. From this morning's report:

Well the snow that we were hoping for yesterday never really materialized. What we got instead was about 2/3 rds of an inch (2cm) of sleet, freezing rain and wet snow. Hourly data collection seems to have added up to more snow but due to settlement there is little in the way of dry, soft snow.   Probably the most important piece of data we see this morning isn’t the actual snowfall amount, it’s that the last few hours when precipitation was falling on the summit, it was recorded as freezing drizzle. So if there was truly snow mixed in with the other types, it’s locked in place by a frozen rain crust.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
mattchuck2 wrote
DackerDan wrote
Yeah, I see you (who apparently has never skied Mt. Washington), saying this:

DackerDan wrote
IMHO if you aren't traveling with a group all of which have Avi gear and the knowledge of how to use it then traveling in avi prone areas when the risk is higher than low is playing Russian roulette
You seem to want to pick a fight or you still are reading more into my original post than was stated. If you are offended that, I who has not visited Tucks, is stating how I plan to handle the conditions that's your problem. If you think there is something wrong with "My Humble Opinion" please state it - I would appreciate what must be an awesome amount of wisdom you must posses.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
Don't be afraid
 What a crazy fun assed day!!!  Too fried and comfy soaking up the sun on the hotel room deck to post a report now but will do a follow up