Well, I'll start with saying it has been less than spectacular. Seeing we got a foot back home isn't really helping either. Yesterday was pretty warm and bluebird, so the snow really got baked on. Last night it crusted up a bit, and it hasn't snowed in about two weeks. Unfortunately, the weather isn't really looking in our favor.
Wind chills are around -10, and we're looking at 3-7" in the next 36 hours.
We did have a nice condo! The Lay-Z-Boy was awesomely comfortable.
Today was pretty warm, right around 30. The snow quality all depended on which direction the peak was facing. The worst stuff we skied was facing southeast, the best was northwest facing. If you look at the map Cobabe Canyon and the ridge below the Paradise lift had the best snow. Cobabe was the least skied, but it was pretty inconvenient to get to. If you wanted to lap it, you take a long green cruiser to the Paradise lift, ski down to the Hidden Lake lift (we took Quick Shot to get between the two lifts the first run, but it was AWFUL. The second time we took Gateway.), Take the poma lift up, and then hike maybe 10 mins to a flat traverse.
The snow in Cobabe wasn't very deep, maybe 8 inches of lighter stuff that had the consistency of sugar. Still, it was quite a bit of fun. It was all pretty low angle stuff, so it was hard to keep your speed up.
There was pretty dense fog in the morning, but it burned off around 11. It was bluebird for a bit, but then the clouds and cold moved in. The lighting was horribly flat.
We were pretty excited to ski Powder Country, but they had it closed. It's in-bounds backcountry stuff that doesn't get skied much. It takes your down to the road where a bus will pick you up. We figured it was just closed in the morning, but it didn't open all day.
Powder had a cat-skiing service (far right on the map) which looks like the majority of the mountain's steep terrain. Cat rides are $15 each, but the face is positioned the exact same direction as Quick Shot, so we're guessing it's going to be some really firm crust again.
We are here for another 3 days and we have pre-paid non-refundable lift tickets. I wish we left at least one day open to check out Snowbasin, but I was overruled on that. Hopefully we get the better side of 3-7".
There is a North facing section with some trees where the cat drops you off that may hold some decent snow
Or if you work you way down the ridge(the line in the 2nd pic) from where the cat drops you there are some chutes that held decent snow when we were there. You may have scramble over some rocks at the top to get into them
This video is the bottom section of one of those chutes
Oh and your 1st pic shows part of the chutes. Center of the picture just above the tree tops. You come down that ridge line shown from left to right. Or you can dump off the other side of that ridge into those N facing trees
the 3" helped, but still wasn't enough to make the entire mountain amazing. Dust on Crust. The morning was real chilly, but we got down to the lifts and had some fresh stuff that wasn't too crusty. We never ended up taking a cat skiing run, but most likely will tomorrow. I got a PM on TGR saying that the NW facing stuff still had some good snow.
Our first run we were trying to figure out how to get to a chute we saw from the lift. I think the hardest part of skiing the mountain is figuring out how to get to places you see. We never made it to the chute we were looking for and ended up on a sketchy traverse on the back side of the ridge. It was pretty much untracked with a decent layer of snow on some crust. It skied pretty well, though.
We took the lift back up and made our way to another run which was a bit easier to access. It was in the sun and had some nice snow on it.
We looked around the map a bit more and tried to find how to get to the peak towards the right side. It took a bit to get there, but when we found it, it was completely worth it. The snow was real creamy and very few tracks on a moderate pitch. The biggest problem with getting there is it takes so much time. You have to take 2 quads and a poma, and it's a flat green trail to get there.
The face between the two lifts had some good snow on it. Some weren't hit as hard by the sun so they weren't horribly crusty.
On our second run, we skied off to skiers left of the ridge rather than going down the right side. Yahtzee! Definitely the best snow on the mountain is hidden over there. They reported 3", we found up to 10" in some spots, not windblown. I wish I had some good pictures of it in there because it was just awesome. Maybe tomorrow. Mike has a few POV shots from it, I'll make a quick edit later.
We ran into the lodge and bought lunch. We had a few sandwiches in the car, but the lodge we ate at was right at the top of the lift. It would have taken 1/2 hour out of our day just to ski to the car and back to where we were. It was good timing - I needed some energy, my feet were frozen solid, and I really had to poo. right before going in for lunch it started snowing nicely. When we went back out it was still coming down.
We took a few more runs out in our newfound pow stash and called it a day. The snow was starting to clear up (unfortunately), but it made for some cool shots!
You booked and paid for several days at PM in advance? Isn't PM a place for which you traditionally wait until the last minute when you get a favorable snow report? It's the only Utah ski area I've never visited, not due to a lack of desire, but every time I want to go, I turn left into Snowbasin instead of continuing to PM.
I went with a friend and his dad. I suggested leaving two days open (buying tickets online are $15 cheaper), but they didn't want to.
I also suggested Big Sky and Baker, but his dad wouldn't even consider them. Pretty much the reason we're here is because his car mechanic said it was a good place to ski. The mechanic likes to ski blue groomers...
Today's Weather: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a temperature rising to near 5 by noon, then falling to around -4 during the remainder of the day. Wind chill values as low as -18. West wind between 5 and 7 mph.
Hi Fuj. Thanks for the updates. I am heading to SLC on Thursday night and my crew was planning on hitting PM on Friday. Sounds like we may want to rethink that plan of attack. Have you heard anything about Snowbasin? We are staying in downtown SLC so we may stick with the wasatch areas since it seems they have been getting hammered with snow.
Have you been able to get to the bus serviced slackcountry at all or has it been closed the whole time? How bout the cat skiing?
Good luck man hope you get at least one sweet day.